Help! Need to stop the "Bad food after 5 routine"

Options
Hi all -

I am writing because I am in need of some advice. I usually do really well and I manage to stick to my healthy eating habits all day from when I wake up to when I am at work. Then, on my way home or when I come home - it all gets shot to hell with sugars. Now I haven't gained more than a pound because I work out so much, however I know that when diet AND exercise are combined it means I will lose.

Can someone please tell me 1) Why do I want to eat so poorly after 4pm or so? 2) What are some tips and tricks to help me combat this? 3) How can I get on a routine of stopping all foods after 9:30pm? 4) Any tips for lowering sugar intake?

- PS - I have managed to erase these issues before, but perhaps something different might work at this time.

I know you all know what do do - share your good wisdom. Much love! - N

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    You want to because you know each day you will give in and allow yourself to do it. Say no to yourself.
  • SMorris1970
    SMorris1970 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    are you sure you are eating enough during the day? I know when I get hungry I just want to eat everything in sight. Maybe keep some healthy snacks stashed in the glove box that you can snack on on the way home (Triscuits, wheat thins, an apple) that way you won't devour everything when you get home. Also make sure you are filling up on fiber during the day. Fiber keeps you fuller longer. Good luck I know it's hard.
  • joymeg1
    joymeg1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Eat almonds on your way home. Cut up fresh veggies and eat those while fixing dinner. Eat smaller meals every 3-4 hours. Drink LOTS of water. Keep experimenting to see what works for you. If all else fails go to bed early!! :)
  • Autumn15
    Autumn15 Posts: 213
    Options
    Maybe try making sure you have some thing with a good amount of protein at dinner to keep you fuller. FInd a low fat dessert like sugar free pudding to help curb your sweet tooth after dinner. It is best if you stop eating 2 to 3 hours before bed. Maybe try brushing your teeth about then so you will be less tempted to eat something else. And drink lots of water.
  • Candro
    Candro Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello -- I have the same problem. For me, I do very well throughout the day, but come quittin' time, I lose all will power. I think it is because after a hard day's work, I feel the need to celebrate the end of the day or reward myself for my hard work. My downfall is wine and cheese. I LOVE cheese! And wine? I think I can have only one glass of nice wine, but really I will take one during meal prep and 1 - 2 with dinner. I relish a good glass of Cab or Merlot, but my body is showing it.

I've decided I can't have either while I try to lose. It is too easy to fall off the wagon. Instead I'm trying to find substitutes for my after-work-happy-hour. For a drink, I'm having a club soda spiked with lemon or lime (or Costco's Talking Rain). It's refreshing so I don't mind. If I must have a snack, a good sub for cheese one wedge of "Laughing Cow" spread on only 5 "Food Should Taste Good" Multi-grain crackers (also at Costco). (Totals 100 cal: 70 for the crackers, 30 for the cheese) The crackers are not low-cal but they are whole grain, healthy and flavorful. So . . . moderation as usual.

Good luck to you -- I feel your pain!
  • kflett
    kflett Posts: 2
    Options
    I've just started to eat better, but I find if you can pass the first week or so on willpower, it gets easier. For me, it's been about breaking the habit of wanting desert and/or late night food. They say it takes 21 days to make a habit... :S
    I also found planning meals helps - if you know what you're eating when you get home, then you can focus on that, and it can help you avoid the snacks on the way home.
    Finally, get all the sugary stuff out of your kitchen - usually if I don't have it in the house, I'm not likely to leave the house after dinner to go out and buy it. If you do go out occasionally for a treat, then buy a single serving (e.g., ice cream bar, small pack of candy) instead of the full size product.
    Good luck!
  • Pucker508
    Pucker508 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I can't give up my sweets...its a part of me :-) just pick portion controlled things. Choose one, get excited for it, then after eating it (at 9:15pm) go brush your teeth! Here are some of my fave sweets:

-lil drumsticks (130 cals)
    -jello mousse temptations with one graham cracker crumbled and mixed with it (about 110 cals)
    -3 chips ahoy reduced fat cookies (150 cals)
  • cubanasusana
    cubanasusana Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Drink a large glass of water with lemon, after that if you really want it have a few bites :)
  • Natasha233
    Natasha233 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Wow! These are all great. I have heard of some of them - brushing teeth and eating small snacks, etc. I did my first "clean" day today - meaning free of high sugars and I feel incredible. I'm now getting ready to be calm and sleep : ) It feels nice to not feel full today. I need this encouragement - thank you all! I'm ready to do this.