weight lifting and protein shake?

Options

Replies

• flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Interesting. So, all of the info I have read and people I have spoken with are wrong.
    I guess the real answer here should be to do what is right for you. What feels right to you...what gets you the best results because there will always be two sides of the coin and only the individual knows for sure what works for them.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Search Eric Helms and Brad Shoenfelds work on protein synthesis. By all means do what works for you and what you prefer. Just understand nothing bad happens if you don't hit some artificial anabolic window.
  • mmapags
    Options
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    flippy1234 wrote: »
    I was always told...and I have had several different personal trainers over the years...to have protein within a 1/2 hour after working out with weights. Reason being and this is from those trainers...that when you lift weights, if doing it properly, your muscle fibers tear. So having protein after, fills those muscle fibers, helps them repair and that is what helps you build up those muscles. So, are you guys telling me that every trainer I have had was wrong? Just curious.

I was talking to a trainer he said that it doesn’t matter when you take the protein before or after but it’s BETTER to do it closer to your workouts.

Meh. If by closer he means within 4 to 6 hours or so, very slight almost immeasurable advantage for the average person.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    I was always told...and I have had several different personal trainers over the years...to have protein within a 1/2 hour after working out with weights. Reason being and this is from those trainers...that when you lift weights, if doing it properly, your muscle fibers tear. So having protein after, fills those muscle fibers, helps them repair and that is what helps you build up those muscles. So, are you guys telling me that every trainer I have had was wrong? Just curious.

I was talking to a trainer he said that it doesn’t matter when you take the protein before or after but it’s BETTER to do it closer to your workouts.

Meh. If by closer he means within 4 to 6 hours or so, very slight almost immeasurable advantage for the average person.

He suggested two hours before workout.
  • mmapags
    Options

That fine but, again not critical. Some people train faster without muscle loss. The daily goal for protein is 98% of what's important. Timing and the rest is 2%. If that much. But don't take my word. Read Eric Helms' meta analysis on the subject.
  • mmapags
    Options

That fine but, again not critical. Some people train faster without muscle loss. The daily goal for protein is 98% of what's important. Timing and the rest is 2%. If that much. But don't take my word. Read Eric Helms' meta analysis on the subject.

Meant to say train fasted. Not faster. Damn autocorrect!
  • 883xlsportster
    883xlsportster Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you and your schedule. I have one in the morning mixed with avocado, creatine and cocoa powder ( getting my fats in) and one pre workout. This is to help me hit my protein goal and works with my appetite as I don't seem to have much of one. Experiment and adjust. What works for one may not work for another seem to be a good tag on this website ;-)
  • librarian11111
    librarian11111 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all who responded to my question. For convenience sake, here are the links to the 2 articles referred to by other members (i.e. Helms' meta analysis and Schoenfelds work also.)
    https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12970-018-0215-1
    https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/early/2017/07/11/bjsports-2017-097608
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Grambo54 wrote: »
    Who cares about protein shakes They dont build muscle. if you can get adequate amounts of protein from the food you eat. Also, get into the gym and work your butt off!

There you go. I am sure that is exactly what you meant to type.

• Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    Grambo54 wrote: »
    Who cares about protein shakes. They dont build muscle. Get into the gym and work your butt off!

This all the way!

You'll never build any muscle taking sups without lifting, however, even with sub-adequate protein intake you still build muscle if you lift heavy and consistently (albeit sub-optimally).

Ideally of course you'd be stupid not to do both but its very easy to meet your protein needs without shakes.