Back excerices

Options
What are some good isolation excercises for each side of your back? I always feel like my right side takes over and I feel there more. Or any suggestions?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Row variations (3 point dumbbell, cable, barbell row, etc), Pullups, lat pulldowns, deadlifts, back extensions...
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Before you start doing unilateral work, do a strength test on each arm. Choose a weight that leads to failure in the 5-10 rep range on the right, then repeat for the left. Make sure you're warmed up first. If there's only a 1-2 rep difference, i wouldn't worry about it.. but you can do an extra set on the weaker side. :+1:
  • From9five
    From9five Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Dumbell rows, dumbell curls, and one arm lat pulldowns (handle attachment) are gonna be your best bet with this one. Like above said, start with and only do as much as your weak side can handle, and maybe a few more reps with the weak side.
  • Niff314
    Niff314 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts have been amazing for my back. It's my absolute favorite lift.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    It's highly unlikely what you feel as "one side taking over" ...is that much of a difference. Everybody has a stronger side, it's how humans are. We aren't 100% symmetrical in strength or appearance.

If you want to do unilateral work, no biggie. Just keep in mind that it probably won't change what you think you are feeling. It might possibly be a form issue as well. If we had video, it could be corrected if so.

Conventional deadlifts from the floor and just about any type of row will be excellent lifts for the back, be it compound or iso.