Comments people have made about your weight?

Options

Replies

• ShayCarver89
    ShayCarver89 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I've mostly gotten comments about how I must be lazy or else I wouldn't weigh this much. One that really gets me is "good thing your fiance like them on the bigger side." *eye roll*
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Non-family members:

Back when I was slim "you could afford to put on some weight" - this was the only time someone has commented that I was possibly too slim, it was annoying at the time but I'm kind of flattered now.

After I gained a lot, and reached my heaviest "have you put on weight?" this did hurt at the time but I am glad she said it.

A woman I was seeing casually who saw my photo of me wearing a tight shirt "lumberjacck you have breasts!". She's Asian and many Asian cultures feel free to say such things.

Family members generally don't care but can say things that annoy me. They know me enough that I'll make a sarcastic reply so they'll generally not bother.
  • aliciadavis30
    aliciadavis30 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I worked for homecare and a cliendlt if mine insisted I was quite pregnant. Nope. Not pregnant Just a food baby I guess.
  • jogetsgains
    jogetsgains Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I could list incredibly cruel things from family, kids at school, strangers, etc. but I don't want to give those comments power anymore. I worked through the damage they caused and now I choose to be more positive and try to attract positivity. I am not great at it, but I try. It is making a difference in my life. (I used to think posts like this were hippy-dippy bullkitten, I was in a dark place and it has been a long journey 😂)

All of you here are brave and strong for making steps toward better health.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and ~160lbs. I've been told I'm "too skinny" and "toothpicky" more than a few times. Not too many comments when I was at my heaviest.
  • Jaymie
    Jaymie Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    My family were awful I don’t think they even realized it. Being Asian there are no boundaries to what you can say to each other. My cousins would say “you’d be pretty if you lost ALOT of weight” as I was a pudgy teenager back in the days. Oh another one was “why is your face so fat”. This was a common greeting at family get together. I dreaded these growing up. Ah now I’m older I’ve moved as far as possible from them.. bliss
  • scribblemoma
    scribblemoma Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    When I was teenager a few friends were hanging out at my house and a commercial came on the TV of someone dangling a Twinkie in front of a larger man on a treadmill to get him to run (don't remember what the commercial for) and my mom laughed and in front of all my friends said "that would be you chasing a Twinkie" . I cried real tears there rest of the evening after my friends left. I was so embarrassed.

Oh my I am SO MAD that your Mom said that to you 😱 How awful! I am so sorry that she said that...it would’ve crushed my feelings as well.
  • KLCruz88
    KLCruz88 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    "you still haven't lost that baby weight? It's been what? 3 years? " coming from family members.... It's actually been almost 4. But I worked a full time job 50 plus hours a week. I have a house to keep up so my eating habits are not the greatest. I just recently became a stay at home mom so I'm getting myself on track now.
  • mwalls33
    mwalls33 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    "When are you due?" .... that baby needs some chocolate....
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    If you think "fat shaming" is bad in the US, visit China.
    I work for a China based company and spend up to 2 months at a time here.
    My colleagues regularly mock me behind my back. Some are have actually told me what has been said. Some still think I fake my endurance swimming numbers because I don't look like i can swim 17.6km.
    Others have said I'm fat because I drink too much beer. Yet I don't drink any alcohol and they have never seen me drink alcohol.
    On WeChat I'll throw them some shade regarding their gossip. That shuts them up for a little while.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    kdillon606 wrote: »
    My most hated comment is "should you really be eating that?" Like bish I know what i'm eating, now stay in your lane.

One of my Chinese colleagues, without even knowing what I was drinking, said rather loudly, "you know that is pure sugar."
    Ha. It was water with a sugar free enhancer added. But they do this crap a lot.
  • mling84
    mling84 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I had a friend ask me out of the blue, "Are your parents concerned about your weight?" Another time when I was talking about taking a 3 hr a week side job, she said, "You'd be better off using those 3 hrs to exercise."

This same friend also made a crack on another friend's being overweight at my birthday dinner back in May. Even though it wasn't directed toward me, I still took affront to it.

Funny how taking time and distance away from her makes me feel 100 lbs lighter :)

• Barfly57
    Barfly57 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    A friend patted my stomach and said "You don't even have that big of a beer belly".
    Uh, thanks?
  • Mishilovescolours
    Options
    I have been overweight my whole life. And I have had plenty of negative comments and bullying over the years. These days as a middle aged adult I get a lot of nasty comments at work from people I look after. I am a caregiver for people with dementia and mental health . And some do know what they are saying. I do get offended at times , but as I am their caregiver I’m not allowed to say anything bad back to them. My skin is not as thick as it sometimes needs to be. I suffer depression and anxiety. But my issues are not from being overweight. My excess weight is a side effect of my emotional state. I have a history of abuse, trauma and am still struggling with getting myself how I want to be. It shouldn’t be up to other people how I should look.