Recommendations for Vegetarian Protein Bars

Options
PKM0515
PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
I'm hoping someone can recommend some good-tasting, vegetarian protein bars. I need to up my protein intake.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Thinkthin has a new plant based bar,kind of chalky but it grew on me
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Are you referring to lacto-ovo vegetarianism? The majority of protein bars fall within this category. Just don't get one of those newer paleo-style bars that include meat.

If you're asking for plant-based bars without any animal ingredients, my favorite high protein ones are the Clif Builder bars.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Pretty much all protein bars are vegetarian besides ones that are made with meat lol
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    They are on the expensive side, but Genuine Health's vegan fermented protein bars are by far the best ones I have tasted.
  • georgieamber2
    georgieamber2 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    eat natural peanut and chocolate are so good!! ((Not vegan as they have honey but plant based))
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    As a vegetarian, the non-vegetarian things I have seen in a protein bar are meat (obviously) and gelatin. It's usually pretty clear if a bar is meat based. Gelatin is not super common in protein bars, but it's worth checking for, especially if the bar has a glaze/coating. I recently came across some Pure Protein bars that had it.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian,but my husband used to buy plant based protein bars. They are called Orgain Organic Protein. You can get them at Sam's. I think there were two flavors in the box, peanut butter chocolate chunk and chocolate chip cookie dough. I remember the texture being... odd, but they do taste pretty good.
  • PKM0515
    Options
    Thank you, everyone! These comments/suggestions are really helpful. :)
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Vega peanut butter chocolate are delicious and easy to find. The Olly ones are yummy too, but both are more like vegan cookies than a legit, nutrient dense source of protein.
  • ashleycookie1992
    ashleycookie1992 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hey all, I need to up my protein in taking. I'm a veggie eat next to know protein and im always hungry. Are protein bars they way to go or are they for those who wnat to build muasle and bulk?
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Hey all, I need to up my protein in taking. I'm a veggie eat next to know protein and im always hungry. Are protein bars they way to go or are they for those who wnat to build muasle and bulk?

Protein bars are just food. If you like them and want to include them in your diet, then eat them. You build muscle through weight training, not by eating protein bars.
  • ashleycookie1992
    ashleycookie1992 Posts: 21 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Thanks as you can see i no nothing haha new to this but trying
  • HillCoutu92
    HillCoutu92 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    RX Bars! Very few ingredients, all natural. Eggs whites, dates, nuts, etc.
  • hannamarie0098
    hannamarie0098 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    As a vegetarian, the non-vegetarian things I have seen in a protein bar are meat (obviously) and gelatin. It's usually pretty clear if a bar is meat based. Gelatin is not super common in protein bars, but it's worth checking for, especially if the bar has a glaze/coating. I recently came across some Pure Protein bars that had it.

I find that whey can be an issue as it can be derived with rennet, which isn’t suitable for vegetarians. There are lots of seemingly veggie foods that are labelled as unsuitable for this reason, in the UK at least.

• bpeters1989
    bpeters1989 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure the protein content but Lara bar cashew cookie was so tasty!
  • PKM0515
    Options
    I'm not sure the protein content but Lara bar cashew cookie was so tasty!

I do love Lara bars! Cashew Cookie and Pecan Pie are delicious.
  • PKM0515
    Options
    Thank you, everyone! I bought a couple of the Vega protein bars, and I plan to try the RX bars too.

My problem is that some ingredients are iffy. For example, I was looking at some of the bars (Clif, I think, but possibly ThinkThin), and one ingredient listed was "glycerol", which can be derived from plant or animal sources. It would be so much easier if the words vegetarian or vegan were added to the packaging. (I feel the same about frozen food entrees.)

I appreciate all the responses! :)
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    They are on the expensive side, but Genuine Health's vegan fermented protein bars are by far the best ones I have tasted.
    I looked this up and I am still not exactly sure what it means. One website said cottage cheese was a fermented protein.

I find that whey can be an issue as it can be derived with rennet, which isn’t suitable for vegetarians.
    I saw a vegetarian rennet when I was making cheese. It might be a U.S. item,
    https://vegetarian.lovetoknow.com/Vegetarian_Rennet
  • PKM0515
    Options
    I find that whey can be an issue as it can be derived with rennet, which isn’t suitable for vegetarians.
    I saw a vegetarian rennet when I was making cheese. It might be a U.S. item,
    https://vegetarian.lovetoknow.com/Vegetarian_Rennet
    [/quote]

Thanks for linking that vegetarian.lovetoknow site! Looks like it has a lot of good info.

I like that a lot of Trader Joe's products specify "animal rennet" or "microbial rennet". Very helpful!
  • PKM0515
    Options
    (Re above post, which I can't seem to edit.) Thanks, @DoubleUbea! For some reason, I messed up the quote in my previous post.