Tips on doing a "hike" but on treadmill...

Options
I love hiking and often on the weekends where I live I use the trails a lot and do about a 5km hike unfortunately this weekend looks like crappy weather so trails will be too wet/muddy to use. Any tips for doing a "hike" but on treadmill (yuck not my favorite as I would rather be outside but I figure my body won't know the difference LOL:)

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    You can't hike on a treadmill LOL. the point of a hike is to be out in nature.

You can certainly walk on one though. Change the incline. The cardio machines at my gym have "programs" where they change the incline or difficulty at intervals
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    kds10 wrote: »
    Cool! Okay I think I will attempt a hike outside regardless.

When I go hike in the rain, I like to leave dry shoes and socks in the car to change into. My jacket does a good job of keeping my core dry, and I don't want to take my pants off in the parking lot to change. But fresh shoes and socks feel like a luxury for the drive home.

Also leave a thermos with hot coffee or tea in the car to come back to.

This. You'll be so glad you went!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Cool! Okay I think I will attempt a hike outside regardless.

When I go hike in the rain, I like to leave dry shoes and socks in the car to change into. My jacket does a good job of keeping my core dry, and I don't want to take my pants off in the parking lot to change. But fresh shoes and socks feel like a luxury for the drive home.

Also leave a thermos with hot coffee or tea in the car to come back to.

I do the same - clean socks and shoes and just dump the boots into a bag or tote to contain the mud (and smell).

The dry-wicking materials and GoreTex gear almost make the weather almost a non-issue. It's just a matter of changing your comfort zone. Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.

The thermos idea is gold! I usually plan a stop back to civilization before heading home - local brewery, coffee shop, or breakfast spot.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I feel like coffee helps keep me alert for the drive home. :smile:
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    One trail guide I read when I first moved to the Pacific Northwest said: "Wet weather hiking is one of our most under-appreciated outdoor activities."

I loved that, as if it were saying "Yeah, people do it all right, they just don't always properly appreciate it. ;)

Here, at least, the weather can change every ten minutes, so some of the best weather you'll ever see can come sandwiched between wind & rain. Being somewhere beautiful when the sun breaks through and lights up a forest full of glittering raindrops - that's something well worth getting your socks wet for.

(With that said, you do need to be a little careful with some steeper trails when it's very wet, so as not to cause yourself to take an impromptu luge run, and not to cause or worsen erosion to the trail.)
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,718 Member
    Options
    I love all the encouragement in this thread. I have those days where I am tempted to skip the fishing because of the weather. But some of my best days have been fishing in the rain. As a fishing guide once said to me, "It aint' rainin' underwater."
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    I love all the encouragement in this thread. I have those days where I am tempted to skip the fishing because of the weather. But some of my best days have been fishing in the rain. As a fishing guide once said to me, "It aint' rainin' underwater."

When I was learning to scuba dive here in the Pacific NW, one day we had a group training dive scheduled and when I woke up it was dumping snow, and already a few inches on the ground. I called the Divemaster and said, "It's snowing!"

She replied, "Bring a camera!"

I guess it doesn't really matter. I was already going to be cold and wet in the 54*F Puget Sound.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Fun discussion!
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    Okay I went...the trail I do takes about an hour so it was not bad...wet because of wet snow all day but not cold. I saw about 4 other people on the trail. Glad I went!

:+1:
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Okay I went...the trail I do takes about an hour so it was not bad...wet because of wet snow all day but not cold. I saw about 4 other people on the trail. Glad I went!

Way to step up! I too have a dreadmill, it's been idle for over a year now because my dogs don't like it much. Getting outside, no matter the weather is much better for the mind!