KETO

Options
minidoos
minidoos Posts: 13 Member
edited September 2018 in Getting Started
Everything KETO - your questions and experiences.

Replies

• minidoos
    Options
    I just started Keto at 10 days in.
    Off BP tablets now - 117 / 75 Yahoo!
    It’s a complex diet. I have made many mistakes. Hoping my home made electrolyte drink helps dehydration. Not loosing weight so it’s a case of have to count calories. On it I always feel hungry after 2 hours of meal. Just waiting for next meal is difficult. Dizzy in the mornings after longer intermittent fast. Week lacking energy often.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are really struggling with keto. What is the reason you have chosen this way of eating?

If you are always hungry 2 hours after eating you will continue to struggle on keto. Some people find fat the most filling which is why keto works well for them. It helps with their satiety. Others though find they need more protein (which can still be achieved on keto), but others need whole grains, fibre or starch.
  • bladeles
    bladeles Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I started Keto a month ago and found 20 carbs a day just wasn't going to cut it for me. I set a goal of no more than 50 carbs a day but my goal is to stay around 30-35. This is more obtainable for me and have found that 20 carbs is now not so out of reach; I will get there. So I guess I am not fully Keto, however, I have lost 12.4 lbs in a month so it is working for me.

I have also found my taste buds have changed. I know I do not like any kind of buns now or anything with breading. Unhealthy foods that I used to love I can't stomach any more.

I mess up often but I chalk it up to a learning experience and I don't beat myself up when I go over my limit. Especially when I think about how many carbs I used to eat. I believe eating a low carb diet is an achievable life change for me since I don't feel as deprived as I have with other diets. My biggest challenge is staying creative and not getting bored with the same foods. I know if I get bored I will fail so I try to keep a variety of different foods available and am always on Pinterest.

Happy Ketoing or in my case, low carbing.
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    bladeles wrote: »
    I started Keto a month ago and found 20 carbs a day just wasn't going to cut it for me. I set a goal of no more than 50 carbs a day but my goal is to stay around 30-35. This is more obtainable for me and have found that 20 carbs is now not so out of reach; I will get there. So I guess I am not fully Keto, however, I have lost 12.4 lbs in a month so it is working for me.

I have also found my taste buds have changed. I know I do not like any kind of buns now or anything with breading. Unhealthy foods that I used to love I can't stomach any more.

I mess up often but I chalk it up to a learning experience and I don't beat myself up when I go over my limit. Especially when I think about how many carbs I used to eat. I believe eating a low carb diet is an achievable life change for me since I don't feel as deprived as I have with other diets. My biggest challenge is staying creative and not getting bored with the same foods. I know if I get bored I will fail so I try to keep a variety of different foods available and am always on Pinterest.

Happy Ketoing or in my case, low carbing.

That's totally still keto. I have no idea where the 20 number everyone is so fond of came from, but at your current levels you're almost certainly in ketosis. I'm in ketosis and my total carbs are usually somewhere in the 60's, net in the 30's and 40's. As long as your net carbs account for around 5-10% of your total calories you're doing keto. :)
  • minidoos
    Options
    Putting in figures today, I couldn’t find enough fat to eat and anything extra I put in just turned up the protein and carbs. At a bit of a loss to make it a good day. Any ideas?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Weightloss will in itself improve your blood pressure. I can't tell from your posts if you want to lose weight, but to lose weight, you have to eat less, and that's not always easy, so if weightloss (and blood pressure) is important to you, it's important to not make eating less as difficult as possible, but as easy as possible. But it's not really that hard either. The hard thing is to activate common sense and commit for life. We all want things we do to be dramatic and fun and impressive, but the real challenge is to stick to ordinary, mundane tasks, day in, day out.
  • minidoos
    Options
    Kommodevaran what you say I’d have to agree. But that’s not Keto.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    minidoos wrote: »
    Putting in figures today, I couldn’t find enough fat to eat and anything extra I put in just turned up the protein and carbs. At a bit of a loss to make it a good day. Any ideas?

I have been keto for almost 2 years. I treat the fat as a limit and not a goal, and I seem to be lower in my fat macro than many. Finding the happy place for me in terms of the macros and general satisfaction with how I feel and what I am eating has had me raise the protein goal. For me anyway hunger is very well controlled. Energy is very good.

FWIW, my protein goal is 35%.
  • Biggster69
    Biggster69 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Wasn’t for me. Always constipated, no energy, light headed. And I didn’t like cutting out foods.
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options

Cheese; avocado; macadamia nuts; not worrying so much.

Fat has more than double the caloric density of carbs or protein, so once you get used to ignoring the “fat is bad” mentality it adds up pretty quickly. Cook in butter or oil and then sprinkle some Parmesan on top. Eat eggs and peanut butter. There’s fat everywhere, but if you’re really struggling you can make fat bombs from any of the 70 billion recipes on Pinterest and eat those from time to time, as well. 🙂
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options

Give yourself 90 days to let let your body to give you feedback. Unless one is underweight most of us can count the stored fat calories that we can burn so all the fat calories does not have to be eaten that day.

It is way more than a numbers game with concrete rules.

You are on the road to success but there are curves that we all have to get past. Listen to your body more than the rest of us and you will be OK I expect.