Fit Bit Blaze vs my Garmin with chest strap?

Options
A friend of mine is selling her Fit Bit Blaze. I have a Garmin with a chest strap that I bought in 2014. It still works fine. How good is the fit bit blaze? Is the HR monitor accurate enough? Calories burned, etc? Worth buying?

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    For what?
  • Dhawa74
    Dhawa74 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Have had both and chest strap will always be more accurate. Fitbit blaze isn't bad though if you feel like changing it up.
  • ltryon90
    ltryon90 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I love my Garmin.
  • laineylynnfit
    laineylynnfit Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Dhawa74 wrote: »
    Have had both and chest strap will always be more accurate.

The data is suggesting that optical HR, as in the FitBit is within margin of error for HR measurement compared to electrical sensing. That research doesn't, of course, reliably account for movement of the wrist, but the "chest strap is more accurate" trope is meaningless.

That's even before you start considering that accuracy in measurement of HR is completely irrelevant if what you're interested in has no relationship with HR. The rane of circumstances where HR and calorie estimation are related is quite narrow, and in all cases there are other, more reliable measures of calorie expenditure. HR is a useful corroboration.
    Fitbit blaze isn't bad though if you feel like changing it up.

It depends what model Garmin we're on about here. The Blaze is significantly better than prior FitBits, but if the Garmin in question is, for example, a 310XT then the Blaze is a step up. If it's a 610 then it's not.