Heart Rate Monitor

Options
How close is MFP on determining calories burned compared to an actual heart rate monitor. I don't have an HRM-I just go by what MFP says I burned. Is that accurate enough?

Replies

• clare9289
    Options
    I find that MFPs calorie burn estimates are too high for me. If I enter 45mins walking at a brisk pace (3 MPH) it estimates 245 calories burned, but using an HRM it takes me 45mins of doing wogging at average 4.5MPH to burn that much. I always lower the MFP estimate.
  • clare9289
    Options
    PS. Of course it's different for everyone tho. Depends on your fitness level, how much weight you are carrying etc too. Do you go to the gym? Most cardio equipment will count your calorie burn for you using the HRM.
  • Jd_jaquez
    Jd_jaquez Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    For me the MFP calculations are too high that's why I go by what my body bugg tells me. It all depends on your current weight and how much effort you're really putting into the work outs. I just don't trust it at all.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile:

and for me they are too low....see the thing is that our site and other calorie calculating sites don't know how "intensely" you do the exercise. You could bike or run for the same amount of time each day .......BUT one day be full of energy and the next be sluggish.....ONLY YOUR HEART RATE KNOWS FOR SURE!!!

And that is what counts when it comes to calculating exercise calories.....

Do yourself a favor, save up and get an HRM!

Here is a great link to get educated! (it is a MFP staple!)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
  • hockeyd11
    hockeyd11 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! It sounds like I should get an HRM.