3.9 kgs to go but struggling.

Options
JulesBooth
JulesBooth Posts: 26 Member
edited September 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Any advice please. I'm 5ft 8 and 83.9 kgs. I've got 3.9 kgs to lose to reach my first goal. I've lost 17.1 kgs. I log all my calories. I've dropped from 1600 to 1500 calories a day. I have increased my exercise during the week. I weigh food. What else can I do. I keep reading all the advice but can't seem to lose any more weight at present.

Replies

• FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    How long have you been stuck?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How long have you been dieting. It may be worth taking a diet break if you have been dieting awhile.
  • JulesBooth
    Options
    Since February dieting and I've stuck for the last 4 weeks.
  • JulesBooth
    Options
    Definitely check and use scales correctly.
  • psuLemon
    Options
  • JulesBooth
    Options
    Thanks for advice. What's refeeds.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    kirk136 wrote: »
    Thanks for advice. What's refeeds.

I added a link. Its essentially two consecutive days of moderate protein, very high carb and eating around maintenance.
  • Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    You should also keep measurements of your waist, chest, arms and regular pics. Weight will fluctuate, as your body composition changes. Muscle is more dense than fat. As long as you're looking better and say your waist is coming down don't worry about the weight. Try refeeds, diet breaks or changing your workout routine. The body is designed to constantly adapt..you have to out smart it!
  • JulesBooth
    Options
    Yes I've noticed my body shape has changed. I'm much fitter now than 8 months ago.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Fat loss is slow and masked by water weight fluctuations, and exercise often causes water retention. .
    Exactly.
    I swim a lot. Been pushing endurance level distances.
    My weight can fluctuate in a 2 to 4kg window from one day to the next.
    My weight actually went up 2kg, a day after a particularly long swim.

• JulesBooth
    Options
    Still struggling to lose. I don't really want to take a break from losing those last few kgs.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    If you've been logging you have the numbers. If you've not lost any weight in over five weeks, then take away 200 calories.

The last few kgs (15 pounds) took me nine months. It's hard, I was hungry and it was slow. Stay the course.
  • JulesBooth
    Options
    I am getting hungry. Aggh. Will try dropping a few more calories.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,940 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Still struggling to lose. I don't really want to take a break from losing those last few kgs.

Stick your weight ins into a weight trend app.
    Are you still losing, albeit slowly? Then keep at it.

1500, accurately counted, is already fairly low, especially if you're not eating back exercise calories.

There is a risk with re-feeds that you won't be willing to go back into a deficit.
    There are risks when lowering calories too: a chance of additional adaptation and a greater chance of either failure to adhere or a subsequent un-controlled weight gain cycle
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

Even if taking a break may mean you actually get there faster?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    I am getting hungry. Aggh. Will try dropping a few more calories.

I can almost promise you that will backfire if you're already struggling with hunger.

^^This. That hunger is a sign you need to take a break IMHO.
  • JulesBooth
    Options
    Thank u all for your responses. It's certainly not easy. At least my overall fitness has greatly improved in the last 8 months. I will just continue to weigh food and calorie count whilst changing my fitness programme. I have one more week of the couch to 5 km programme so will do more gym work on different days and run a couple of times a week after I have completed the last week. I have holiday at end of November so will have a break then.