Does anyone else get headaches while dieting?

Options
Hello!
I've been struggling with dieting for a long time as whenever I start I always get crippling headaches.
Usually if I can push through and continue with my diet the headaches stop after a few weeks.
But it's just getting to that point that I struggle with.
What are these headaches? Sugar/carb withdrawals?
Does anyone else get this?

Replies

• Crazygraciegirl_
    Crazygraciegirl_ Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Caffeine withdrawal possibly?

And of course you knew you'd be asked this question, are you drinking enough water? :D
  • raekrist7022
    raekrist7022 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal is 1500. I have never drunk coffee, but I have gone from 2 cups of tea to one cup of tea a day but I didn't think there was a lot of caffeine in that?

I have cut out chocolates, could that be a cause?
    I have always had this problem for as long as I can remember when trying to diet.
  • raekrist7022
    Options
    Oh and yes I always drink plenty of water, no matter how much I drink I will still get the headache around noon and it will just get worse and worse until I go to bed and sleep it off. Then it repeats the next day for a few weeks.
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    The next question is going to be us figuring out if 1500 is to low a target or not. We will need your stats and goal for weight loss per week
  • raekrist7022
    Options
    I am 152lbs and 5ft 4, female. I intended to lose 1lb a week. Goal being 126lbs.
  • jdog022
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Had to make some assumptions that your about 30 and lightly active so keep that in mind but base calculations put you closer to 1600. These are just baselines and anyone can be an outlier and maybe more active..

my recommendation is to up to at least 1700 and see if headaches go away. You’ll probably still lose at a great rate. Being miserable is not sustainable

ETA that’s 1700 tdee meaning it includes any exercise. I’m not a fan of the NEAT method and eating back exercise calories and figuring that out every day
  • jdog022
    Options
    Almost all correct but I'm 26. I'm not eating anything new, but I have eliminated bread and all chocolates.
    I think you're right and I will have to try to cut down gradually as this happens to me every time and I can't keep up with it as the headaches get too debilitating.
    I will up my calorie intake to 1700 tomorrow and see if it makes a difference.

Good luck!!
  • raekrist7022
    Options
    I'd definitely say sugar is drastically reduced. And carbs yes, but not as much as the sugar. It does feel like a hangover!!
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    When I lower my carb intake and skip out on my coffee, I tend to get a headache.

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely say sugar is drastically reduced. And carbs yes, but not as much as the sugar. It does feel like a hangover!!

What is your carb count, your fibre amount, and sodium intake? I am also wondering about keto flu.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Are you logging your food intake? Are you exercising a lot without eating back exercise calories?
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    There is still caffeine in chocolate. I'm a migraineur, and I know many who will only eat chocolate when they get a migraine because of the caffeine in it will help take the headache away. I'm not saying you have migraines, I'm just saying that stopping all the chocolate could be triggering a part of your headaches. Part of a caffeine withdraw.

Hope you feel better soon.
  • raekrist7022
    Options
    I do suffer from migraines occasionally so have always just assumed that it's something to do with lack of sugar that's triggered it whenever I diet but as many people have mentioned perhaps it's caffeine. Have just had to sleep for 2 hours as the headache got so bad! Certainly does not make it easy. :'(
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,164 Member
    Options
    You mentioned carbs and sugar; are you restricting those above and beyond your other calories? If you’re quite low-carb it could be keto flu, which feels like a hangover. You can counteract that replenishing your electrolytes and getting more salt in your diet.

That's a potentially useful unsight! Not being a keto-er, that ppossibility didn't occur to me.