Starting Orlistat today - how many g of fat and any other advice

Replies

• collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Li5a87MFP wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I think you just have to stop trying to game the system, and just accept that you have to eat a little less, but consistently, if you want to lose weight.

i have in the past lost 3 stone by creating a calorie deficit and making healthy food choices, i gained this back on. last year i went from an office job to working with horses, i average 7 miles a day walking, also involves carrying and lifting heavy stuff, i have for a year lost no weight doing this, struggling to find the correct calorie amount to lose weight, i can lose a lb here and there i can then gain without doing anything different and then it takes week to lose that gain, i weigh daily and i record my moving average, i don’t know if because i have dieted so many times in the past my body has just got use to a deficit or my metabolism has slowed right down. either way it seems wrong to only be able to eat 1,000 calories a day, drink 2l of water and do the exercise to do to lose weight, i cannot maintain this without feeling faint at work, if i increase to the my fitness pal calculations i start to gain again, i got to the point where i was counting macros, grams of fat and carbs and still long term the weights not budging, i went to the doctors to rule out any thyroid or polycistic ovaries, had tests and despite all symptoms of both they’ve come back clear...so he said about these tablets, they can’t make losing weight any more difficult then it already seems for me at the moment so i gave them a try. to be honest i am skeptical and embarrassed at it reaching this point, but thought i’d give it my all as iv nothing to lose,

All that this medication is going to do is potentially get you in a calorie deficit by making you averse to consuming fat, so just consider what you are going to do to yourself to get there. When you counted your calories and figured you were eating 1,000, what was your process of calculating those? Like if you ate a salad and a sandwich, how would you figure the cals?

well so far iv had no side effects but then my fat intake for my breakfast lunch and snack is 15g, this is a normal work day for me iv not cut anything out, and i am at 6.5 miles on my fitbit today so far.
    i have gone down the weighing food route, at one point i was weighing salad leaves which was shortly before i went to the doctors!

I weigh everything. Lettuce is a thing ;)

I actually weigh lettuce to help me eat more of it - I was eating less before I started weighing and shooting for minimums on sandwiches, side salads, and entree salads.

I also weigh my salads. Bowl on the scale, weigh and tare for each ingredient. I'll even log curry powder and garlic and the like, 10 cals for my spray of oil etc. OP I know you don't want to hear it but most likely your food logging was quite a bit off, simplest answer is usually the most likely.

i get what you’re saying i really do, but i just don’t think someone who weighs 18 stone and walks 6/7 miles a day shouldn’t have to weigh lettuce to lose weight, my body just is just a mystery to me, day three no side effects of the tablets, another normal stool, positive is my diet doesn’t contain much fat, negative what next!? x

Maybe not lettuce, but certainly everything else. It's incredibly easy to eat in a calorie surplus.
  • Li5a87MFP
    Li5a87MFP Posts: 63 Member
    I was on Orlistat many years ago. Yes, it dealt with the fat in my diet, but it didn't deal with the sugar and carbs that were also making me put the weight on. It didn't make me change the way I ate, and it didn't help me make different food choices, or understand how my body worked and what I needed to do for it to lose weight.

Motivation, willpower and being stuck on the toilet every day in pain, leaking oil for an hour, didn't do anything in the long run, either. I know you're desperate, but a quick and temporary fix is just that: temporary. Once you come off the tablets you'll maybe eat less fats, but there's no guarantee your consumption of non-fat calories will change naturally.

You have to be willing to put in the work of weighing and logging your food, making different choices, eating at a consistent calorie deficit, plodding on when everything seems too hard, and being patient when the scales don't seem to be moving. You can try every diet aid on the planet, and in the long run none of them will work if you don't change your behaviour around food.

completely agree with this and think the tablets are a complete waste of time, they have had no effect as i don’t have a fatty diet hence why i went to the doctors to see why i wasn’t losing. i think patience is my downfall at the moment i have to accept that when i was younger i could easily lose 2-3lbs a week consistently, now doing the same with more exercise i am lucky to lose 0.5lb-1lb a week, i have to be stricter all of the time to shift a small amount even though i’m the most active iv ever been and that’s just how it is!! i will get there!!!

to be honest i am disappointed in these tablets, surely people either eat fatty foods and put up with diahreeha after or just eat something fatty and don’t take one to avoid it, i cannot see how they help anyone make better choices with food at all as you say
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    I think it's really going to depend on you, I took Alli years ago, I never had any problem, I stayed away from anything to fatty, so I wouldn't have any accidents, but even when I over did it, Peanut Butter was my down fall, the worst I had was wet farts, nothing worse. Your just going to have to pay attention for a while and see how much fat you can eat before you have issues.
  • sam_juggins
    sam_juggins Posts: 45 Member
    In your original post the think that struck me was "chocolate bar". Yes I know we can all eat everything that we want to maintain our deficit but day one and a chocolate bar? For me, nope. I have to have at least a few days of no chocolate snacks (I do have others instead). It was 15g of fat that you could have done without on a plan that has notorious outfit destroying side effects.

Just my opinion though.