ADVICE PLEASE!

Options
I could use some advice and motivation. I started going to the gym abour a year and a half ago and I gained about 25+ lbs and went up two dress sizes! ( It's not muscle because I jiggle and have major muffin top) I have lost about 7-12 lbs since Jan. (depending on the week I have been losing and gaining the same 5 lbs the last few months). I joined MFP about 2 months ago. I lost 2 pounds the first week. Since then I have gained those 2 lbs back plus a few more. I feel like when I ate the 1400 calories I gained those pounds and I feel like when I eat any lower I am starving myself.

Plus I feel like I have no energy after my workouts. I get hungry and really irritable then I get really depressed. I thought workouts were supposed to give you energy and help relieve stress?

Replies

• clare9289
    Options
    Have you seen a doctor? The irritable/depressed feeling could be to do with low iron or something. It's amazing how crap you can feel if you are missing something like that in your diet.

The only advice I can give is try and get back on the wagon. I can't count how many diets I've stopped and started and how many gym memberships I've had. You need to say "right, I'm letting go of what's happened so far and starting now". You could also try experimenting with different levels of calorie intake. MFP recommends 1200cals p/day for me, but I actually think I lose better at around 1400. You could try a different level each week.

In terms of the gym, I only feel better when I go regularly. I never feel that great after the first time in a while, but if I go regularly for a couple of weeks I get really in to it. Try not to lose hope!
  • cardglor
    cardglor Posts: 29
    Options
    I have had to find an approach where I can eat about 5 times a day..regular meals plus snacks in between..actually 3 snack times and 3 meals. I rely on protein and especially fibre to keep my blood sugar regular. Its not only to manage my diabetes but its also to manage my craving and feel that I am not depriving myself as well. I hate dieting and have had to think more about a lifestyle choice. Because the word diet to me just doesn't work anymore. I came across Rick Gallop's GI Plan a few years ago and I personally found it to be extremely helpful for the reasons I mentioned earlier. He doesn't have the most exciting recipes but I've learned to work with the food choices in the plan to make it more interesting. So I tend to eat foods that are lower on the Glycemic Index and find it helpful. There is lots of info on line about it. I hope this is helpful.
  • 6Pk2Go
    6Pk2Go Posts: 105
    Options
    Try eating clean. All natural ingredients from the perimeter of your grocery store. You won't believe the difference it makes.

Also, people who work out tend to give themselves way more credit for that work than it is actually worth and eat more than they have earned.

Example, if I type in Brisk walk in MFP for 90 minutes it tells me that I'm approaching 400 calories, however, if I wear my heart rate monitor (which is much more specific) it tells me that I've earned 120 calories. Therefore, if I ignored the more specific information on a daily basis it's a discrepancy of 300 cal per day which is almost a pound gain per week if I ate everything I earned.

I've found that if I eat natural foods my body gives me natural cues to eat when I'm hungry. Days when I go off and eat processed crap I am a bottomless pit.

Hope this helps.
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I could use some advice and motivation. I started going to the gym abour a year and a half ago and I gained about 25+ lbs and went up two dress sizes! ( It's not muscle because I jiggle and have major muffin top) I have lost about 7-12 lbs since Jan. (depending on the week I have been losing and gaining the same 5 lbs the last few months). I joined MFP about 2 months ago. I lost 2 pounds the first week. Since then I have gained those 2 lbs back plus a few more. I feel like when I ate the 1400 calories I gained those pounds and I feel like when I eat any lower I am starving myself.

Plus I feel like I have no energy after my workouts. I get hungry and really irritable then I get really depressed. I thought workouts were supposed to give you energy and help relieve stress?

I am not a physician but this sounds like it could be your thyroid. I would make an appointment with the doc!
  • bbhe
    bbhe Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I peeped at your diary and it looked like you hadn't been logging in for awhile.

When I feel the way you do, I load up on salads, veggies and fruits, and small amounts of highly nutritious lower calorie foods. If you aren't nourished, you will be hungry! There are a lot of specific diets that are geared toward just being nutritious--body for life, maker's diet, paleo diet. I think none of them work for weight loss if you don't count calories with them, but they are all pretty interesting and can really help you feel great while counting.
  • amkirby1022
    Options
    Thanks! I have gone to the doctor because I thought it was my thyroid. My bloodwork came back negative so she said it was just stress.

I had a family tragedy about 2 months. My 12 year-old cousin died in a 4-wheeler accident. Before that I went 3-4 times a week and had the low energy etc.

I'm just very frustrated with working hard for nothing it seems like. Thanks for the advice again.
  • candicole007
    candicole007 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I really recommend investing in yourself for a metabolism test. They only take about 15 minutes, and you might be surprised what you find out. I found out I have a high metabolism (I'm just lazy I guess LOL) and I need to eat 1500 calories a day at a minimum or my body can do the whole starvation mode, pack on the pounds even though you're hungry thing. When I started eating more (and not getting my extra calories from junk) I started losing weight more consistently. Good luck!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    You might not be logging as accurately as possible and possibly not working out as hard as you think you can.

Good Luck.
  • JohnnyStorm
    JohnnyStorm Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    First, Congrats on your recent weight loss!!!

There are a lot of good comments already.

If you do cardio primarily you may want to consider some weight training to build muscle. That will increase your BMR.

What Is effective for me right now is smaller more fequent meals with higher amounts of protein. I'm eating something about every 3 hours. I like what 6Pk2Go says about eating 'Clean'.

I try to couple a carb and a protein together such as an apple and some peanut butter or jerky and an apple or two eggs and some bread. Oatmeal with Berries. Tuna with crackers. Really anything that has high nutrient value and keeps burning for several hours. I have lost a couple of pounds over the past few days and have not felt that hungry. The BCCA supplements I am taking might also be helping to curb hunger. Just maintaining an even blood glucose level throughout the day seems to be helping a lot.

For the stress, you may want to consider a supplement to help reduce cortisol. I am currently taking Erase.
  • bschutt
    bschutt Posts: 8
    Options
    I use Shakeology every day and notice a big difference in my energy when I use it! I usually have it for breakfast and feel pretty stabilized throughout the day. Like others have said, I also eat every couple of hours. And, as also mentioned, staying away from processed stuff helps. Good luck!!!
  • BreezyDays
    BreezyDays Posts: 292
    Options
    Eating a protein with every meal helps keep you feel fuller longer (JohnnyStorm gave some great advice).
    If you are not drinking enough water sometime thirst can be mistaken for hunger so try drinking a glass of water before reaching for a snack.
    Keep close track of your food diary, if you bite it write it! What you eat really makes a difference, the kind of carbs you take in, how much fiber you eat, the kind of sugar (refined compared to natural), everything!
    Build some muscle and work that cardio. Give your body a variety of things to do so it doesnt get bored with the same routines and you wont get bored mentally.
    It also wont hurt to take some supplements whether its a multivitamin or something diff. Personally I just do B complex and Calcium with D3 and minerals. But thats your choice.

I use to yo yo back and forth and it was just a matter of tweaking the cals and watching very closely what I was consuming and pushing myself a little harder on the workouts. Its important to journal and track what you are doing so you can go back and see where adjustments can be made.