Dexa scan!

Options
I've been checking my body fat with the hand held dual grip body fat analyzer at my gym. It's been reading between 5% and 8%. I'm curious how accurate it is and wanted another option so I scheduled a dexa scan for September 29th.

Trying to see how low I can get my bf for the test so cutting back calories for the next 2 weeks.

Any body had a dexa scan done? Do you believe it's more accurate, less accurate or about the same as the hand held option?

No more time to talk! Gotta hit the treadmill. Haha!

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I have a hand held Omron at home that reads 12-15% up to 20%.

My last DEXA was at 13%.and 12% b4 that.

My last Hydro was at 8% and was at 10% b4 that.

I believe the Hydro is the most accurate. Dexa ALWAYS reads higher than Hydro and the Omron reads higher than that (it's junk).

Dexa is good for separating out bone weight and for VAT readings but (apart fron the higher reading) the results are also inconsistent (going up or down when hydro is doing the opposite).

So, I think Hydro is best. At least it is 4me.

• Riff1970
    Riff1970 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I’ll try to get a reading with the hand held the same day to see how they compare.

9 days!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Dexa and Hydro are the most accurate but they all have some margin of error.
  • Riff1970
    Options
    Readings today at the gym. I took it 3 times to get an average.

7 days to scan.

rnc0hofm3fg2.jpeg
    81tbhl94whr9.jpeg
    nl6nexgvbetc.jpeg

Current progress.

ychmt3yjolqy.jpeg
  • Tic78
    Tic78 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    What height and weight are you?
  • Riff1970
    Options
    I’m 5’ 7”. About 148 lbs.
  • Riff1970
    Options
    I’ll be so disappointed if the scan says I’m over 10%. Lol!
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I have the same exact tool at home and it puts me at 12-14 percent and I’d say I’m as lean if not leaner. Extremely close either way. In other words that thing is trash so whatever it says ignore it. You would have striations in your butt at 5%. All sorts of wierd places
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Riff1970 wrote: »
    I’ll be so disappointed if the scan says I’m over 10%. Lol! . . . I’m 5’ 7”. About 148 lbs.

BTW, I'm 5'8", weigh 150.7# w/a BMI of 22.9 (as of this morning) and, while I may not have pecs equal to yours, I've got ab and serratus definition similar to yours. So, while it may disappoint you, my guess is that your BF% is probably similar to mine.

For some background on DEXA scan results and how to estimate your BF level based on physical characteristics, I highly recommend that you watch the following 2 videos:

Body Fat % 101 - Examples of BF %s - Part 1
    Body Fat % 101 - How to Estimate Your BF% - Part 2

I think you'll find the information provided very useful in assessing your DEXA scan results, when you get them, and for making an assessment of your "actual" BF level w/o it.
  • Riff1970
    Options
    pogiguy05 wrote: »
    FYI IF I looked at good as you i would care less what my body fat was reading. ;) I would be damn happy with them muscles showing :p Unless you are competing then maybe it matters.

Thanks. Not competing. I don’t have the symmetry for that. Pecs are all jacked up. Lol!

I guess it’s just a challenge against myself to see how lean I can get. To push myself past where I am. This is the best condition I’ve ever been.

I am pretty happy with where I am. Doing pretty good for 47 years old.
  • Riff1970
    Options
    watts6151 wrote: »
    Here’s burto at 4-5%

raee0rqu2qb3.jpeg

Damn. That’s freaky. Never heard of him. Surprised Lui Marco never mentioned him.
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    I told my wife after my post that I should take an identical picture of myself just as you posed. Only difference is I would have a DAD BOD pear shape bwhahahahahahahaha I am far from your success
  • Riff1970
    Options
    Average deficit for the last 3 days is 611 calories. 😲

Hitting it hard. 🏃🏼‍♂️💪🏻

8ojuflk4mm4h.jpeg
    xzknvo80tshj.jpeg
    8otvj2rcxi1k.jpeg
  • Riff1970
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Scan tomorrow morning. Here’s my bf readings this morning.

One pound down this week and progress pics.