"Diet"....a four letter word😞

2»

Replies

• collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    VUA21 wrote: »
    All you have to do to lose weight is eat less.

Yes, it is that simple. Just eat at a calorie deficit and you will lose the weight. No special diet or exercise program required.

Yes unless one is a carb addict like I was which lead to binging and out of control eating. When Keto quickly resolved my carb binging the weight loss and maintenance became automatic without track or going hungry.

Reducing carbs is still eating less. Regardless of which diet you're following, the long term weight loss results are still due to eating fewer calories than you use.

Ok I see your point. I did replace about 200 grams of carbs with about 150 grams of fats from coconut oil, etc.

Math doesn't add up. But, the thing with most high carb foods, is also what gets added on. I know very few people that like plain pasta, bread, or potatoes (and I mean plain!). Some do, but especially with pasta, sauces and especially cheese can add calories very quickly!!! Also, most American bread is made with sugar which in turn increases the calories of what bread should be. Agian, it may not be the just the bread, but some condiments also can add a lot of calories for a small volume.

Either way, if you find the best way for you to reduce total calories is to restrict or eliminate a lot of carbs, then do what works best for you. While weight is dictated by calories, the method of increasing or decreasing (what most ppl here do - for weight loss) calories is personal. The method that works for person A may or may not work for person B.

I am a weird outlier in the plain category. I LOVE plain baked potatoes. I can even eat them without salt. I can even eat them cold without salt. I just love them. I also find them caloric bargains for how filling they are TO ME :) 77 calories for 100 grams of starchy goodness. Now granted, salt livens up the flavor, and coarse sea salt adds a lovely crunch, but it's just window dressing!

This post is being made to show your point though, that yes, what works is indeed personal. I need starch to feel full. At the very least, I need carbs like veggies. Fat doesn't do it for me.

I'm the same way. I'm sure there *are* people who find satiety on high protein/high fat. I'm not one of them.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member

Yes, it is that simple. Just eat at a calorie deficit and you will lose the weight. No special diet or exercise program required.

Yes unless one is a carb addict like I was which lead to binging and out of control eating. When Keto quickly resolved my carb binging the weight loss and maintenance became automatic without track or going hungry.

Reducing carbs is still eating less. Regardless of which diet you're following, the long term weight loss results are still due to eating fewer calories than you use.

Ok I see your point. I did replace about 200 grams of carbs with about 150 grams of fats from coconut oil, etc.

Math doesn't add up. But, the thing with most high carb foods, is also what gets added on. I know very few people that like plain pasta, bread, or potatoes (and I mean plain!). Some do, but especially with pasta, sauces and especially cheese can add calories very quickly!!! Also, most American bread is made with sugar which in turn increases the calories of what bread should be. Agian, it may not be the just the bread, but some condiments also can add a lot of calories for a small volume.

Either way, if you find the best way for you to reduce total calories is to restrict or eliminate a lot of carbs, then do what works best for you. While weight is dictated by calories, the method of increasing or decreasing (what most ppl here do - for weight loss) calories is personal. The method that works for person A may or may not work for person B.

I am a weird outlier in the plain category. I LOVE plain baked potatoes. I can even eat them without salt. I can even eat them cold without salt. I just love them. I also find them caloric bargains for how filling they are TO ME :) 77 calories for 100 grams of starchy goodness. Now granted, salt livens up the flavor, and coarse sea salt adds a lovely crunch, but it's just window dressing!

This post is being made to show your point though, that yes, what works is indeed personal. I need starch to feel full. At the very least, I need carbs like veggies. Fat doesn't do it for me.

Me too. When I tried to do Keto, I wanted to chew my own arms off. When I went back to low processed foods with loads of starches (usually root vegetables), I was a lot more satiated. Now, I'm far less restrictive of food types, and just focus on maintaining a calorie deficit (with a focus on my protein intake).

Yes, I always focus on my protein intake and then I do focus on veggie/fruit intake for nutrition. Fats fall where they may, but I try to hit a minimum. I have found that's what works best for me and keeps my energy levels steady. I deal with fatigue as a symptom of several medical conditions and good nutrition is an important part of how I combat it.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member

I love not-quite plain baked potatoes. I love salsa on just about everything other than sweets. So that 1 teaspoon of basically crushed hot peppers adds very few calories. My comment was also "few people", you happen to be one of them. But honestly, how many people do you know/see that thier 100 calorie baked potato becomes an 800 calorie condiment covered potato? (I've see that a lot, I think it's related to the people who say they like salads then drown the salad on ranch or blue cheese dressing).

I need starches as well. Fats and protiens just don't have the same satiety for me for equal calories.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,554 Member
    I need starches as well. Fats and protiens just don't have the same satiety for me for equal calories.

~275 Cal of baked potato for @Nony_Mouse and @GottaBurnEmAll covered with meaty chili to dress the potato for about 200 Cal for @PAV8888 = perfect food available at Wendy's /end thread :wink:
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »

~275 Cal of baked potato for @Nony_Mouse and @GottaBurnEmAll covered with meaty chili to dress the potato for about 200 Cal for @PAV8888 = perfect food available at Wendy's /end thread :wink:

Canned chili beans to top the potato for me! With some guac and Greek yoghurt. Carby, starchy, proteiny goodness :) ~650 cals.

But funnily, I'm usually a protein and fats girl. Carbs in satiating amounts are a refeeds/diet break thing for me.