Throwing away my scales for a better life

2»

Replies

• cowleyl
    cowleyl Posts: 169 Member
    I needed to wean myself from the scales because it was doing my head in. I wasn't very successful, so I did a deal with my feeble brain. I now weigh myself and record the weight on 13th of every month. However, I have sneak peeks occasionally through the month because I'm weak. I do not record these and am just seeking confirmation that I'm on track. By doing it this way, I find there's not as much of an effect on my self-esteem.
  • c_ward1983
    c_ward1983 Posts: 22 Member
    A scale is a good learning tool. Just like calorie counting. It's not the be all and end all, but if you have no idea what foods are empty calories or what causes you to bloat and retain water giving you immediate weight gains, you can't make informed decisions. Once you have a handle on eating healthy and keeping a healthy lifestyle there is no need to touch the scale more than once every couple of weeks.
  • mhlew
    mhlew Posts: 377 Member
    mhlew wrote: »
    To each their own but I weigh myself everyday and I log what time I weigh myself. If I see a gain I make notes in my note pad of why I gained (ie- had beers last night) it helps me understand weight fluctuations and weight loss patterns. It has been a great tool for me.

As much as I think everyone has a right to their own way of working, I started this thread specifically to try and get away from behaviour like that. I consider that to be almost obsessive, and personally I would recommend trying to break away from those habits.

You can call it obsessive- I call it passion. I’m passionately obsessed with getting my health in check. Again yo each there own but this helps me tremendously and eliminates any discouragement which has set me back in the past
  • mhlew
    mhlew Posts: 377 Member
    ac1i1jo3ts04.jpeg
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    mhlew wrote: »
    ac1i1jo3ts04.jpeg

OMG, did you tear a page out of one of my old diet tracking notebooks? This is almost exactly what mine looked like, except I had one more column with a running total!

And you have more legible handwriting.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,748 Member
    Good luck OP!!! I have found out the hard way over my years that my jeans AND my riding pants will give me a sort of 20 pound grace period before I end up looking for larger clothes. I like using the scale because it gives me an idea before I get to that point if I am gaining or losing. Would much rather get back on the bus for 5 pounds than 20. I understand completely the mind games it plays with us and our moods but it is a tool just like any other.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    I also weigh myself every morning. Not being obsessive but to make sure I am staying on track, am I making good food choices. Did something I had in last few days cause an up or down. Like last week when I doubled my amount of daily exercise. Now when I see my dietician every two weeks that is my official so called weigh ins for the month. But I know exactly what is going on all of the time. I record mine on excel spreadsheet these days.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!