How many calories per meal? I

Options
I think lunch (360 cal) is my problem. I eat a Sandwich made with Sara lee honey ham and cheese on 1 slice honey wheat berry bread. I also have pretzel crisps with it. Within an hour I'm
Hungry again. Does anyone have another suggestion for my lunch? I don't eat seafood or tofu. Thanks in advance for ur help!

Replies

• bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Perhaps increasing your protein intake by adding some Greek yogurt, a boiled egg, or some almonds? If I eat a meal that is too carb heavy, I am always hungry faster. That's why I can't do just oatmeal for breakfast... because I'm ravenous a short time later.
  • jlc1243
    jlc1243 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    For the calories I think you could get some more bulk...How about a cobb salad? With hard boiled egg, maybe some lo-fat cheese or avacado, lots of greens/veggies?
  • Kristy144
    Kristy144 Posts: 166
    Options
    Change your bread to low cal, whole wheat, add a string cheese for protien (80 calories), fiber one bar 90 calories help keep you full for a long time, or even do a protein shake.
  • wendyw8
    wendyw8 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Maybe instead of pretzels eat carrots.
  • lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Baked potato with veg? That's what I usually have and I'm always full off it :) Only about 200-ish calories also!
    Cottage cheese with baby carrot to dip, salad with a hard-boiled egg.
  • avaloneternal
    Options
    Maybe try adding a small serving of nuts or, if you are set on that amont of calories, replace the amount of calories in the pretzels with the same amount of calories in a serving of nuts. Sounds like you are not getting enough protein and healthy fats to keep you satiated and your blood sugar is crashing. A small amount of nuts go a long way. I have recently fallen in love with cashews but you can use any nuts that you like (almonds, walnuts, etc).
  • ker85
    ker85 Posts: 2
    Options
    I have started eatting quiet large salads for lunch with some chicken or tuna, cant say i feel hungry at all. I like eatting lots of food so this way im still getting lots just lots of low calorie food instead!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Maybe instead of pretzels eat carrots.

This!! And pretty much any other veggie or fiber packed fruit (like an apple) You get a lot more volume for the same # of calories and good fiber too.

I eat a vegetable laden lunch almost every day. Often it's some sort of salad or soup. Today was a cup of brown rice loaded with stir fry veggies and some steamed snap peas on the side.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    There really isn't some set amount of calories to have at each meal, but different types of foods make us feel more full than others. For example, the salad I just ate included pretty much veggies and beans, and I am stuffed, and will be for a while.

Here is a simple chart that might help explain: http://i54.tinypic.com/333wp5i.jpg

Try eating more vegetables instead?
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Maybe add some veggies to the sandwich, doesn't add a lot of calories but adds fiber and contains more water. (tomatoes, raw spinach or good lettuce - not iceberg - very little vitamin value there). Also an apple might help keep you full until your afternoon snack.
  • ckclontz
    ckclontz Posts: 68
    Options
    My favorite lunch is a taco salad without the tortilla chips! I have 4 ounces of ground beef, a heaping cup (or more) of lettuce, a whole roma tomato, one ounce of extra sharp cheddar cheese, and salsa for my dressing. If I'm feeling particularly adventurous, I might add a touch of sour cream.

You definitely want to increase your protein consumption. Most breads, and definitely pretzel crisps, are very high in carbs, which very quickly turn into sugar in your bloodstream. That is why you're hungry an hour later - quick spike, quicker drop! Try to find whole grain bread with a lower carb count (just do a quickie review in the store). My personal favorite is Arnold's Health Multi-Grain, but I find it's a tad too sweet for meat sandwiches, so then I use 12 whole grain bread.

Good luck and good health!
  • kes820
    kes820 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for your advice. I really appreciate it. Sounds like I will be getting some veggies to make a big salad tomorrow (with some boiled eggs). I also love veggie soup. I have a hard time with finding a bread I like but I'm open to try new stuff. Thanks again!
  • RDH77
    RDH77 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    One thing that's helped me with lunch is using the La Tortilla company smart and delicious high fiber wraps. I'll have turkey with swiss and lettuce with dijonnaise or hummus with loads of veggies and a serving of fruit. They fill me up till late afternoon and taste pretty good! Here's a link... http://latortillafactory.com/products-4.aspx

*** ETA that I'm not affiliated with this company, I just really like their wraps! ;-)
  • 16mixingbowls
    16mixingbowls Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Can you double the meat and do a lettuce wrap? Jimmy John's Sandwich shop, and Togo's, and maybe a few others do this. The carbs fly right through me and give me more cravings.