Does fitbit really work?

Options

Replies

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,221 Member
    Options
    I had Carge HR and unfortunately it overestimated my calories by a lot - around 300 per day. So after several months I stopped using it.
  • JenasyJen
    JenasyJen Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    @jillchavarria22 I use fitbit versa.

@sparks9777 In some ways it doesn't matter but in some ways it does matter because if it says i burned 5000 extra calories and i only burned 1000 then i may gain weight and im trying to lose weight. :) (im not burning that much just an example lol)

Overall I'm happy to read its most feel its fairly accurate. Just gonna watch for a week or two and see how i respond to eating back 50% ish of extra calories burned. (if im hungry)

All in all its a fun & useful early b day gift and it definitely makes me want to get my steps in each day :)

Ty all for your advice and support
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Charge HR 2 here and it underestimates my calories.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I have an HR Charge and I enjoy it- because it motivates me to get my walk in.
  • JenasyJen
    Options
    i did a little test today walked on treadmill for 30 mins... Treadmill said 150 cals, Fitbit was in the high 200's almost double.... Interesting lol.. Wonder which is right. (i entered in treadmill under exercise in fitbit while i did it)
  • Francl27
    Options
    JenasyJen wrote: »
    i did a little test today walked on treadmill for 30 mins... Treadmill said 150 cals, Fitbit was in the high 200's almost double.... Interesting lol.. Wonder which is right. (i entered in treadmill under exercise in fitbit while i did it)

Did you put your info in the treadmill?
  • Francl27
    Options
    Seffell wrote: »
    I had Carge HR and unfortunately it overestimated my calories by a lot - around 300 per day. So after several months I stopped using it.

Keep in mind that Fitbit will only be as accurate as your tracking. A lot of people eat more than than they think.

If I believed my Charge 2, I would be at least 20 lbs heavier than I am now, lol (and I've been lazy in my logging too).
  • desire2bSexy
    desire2bSexy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If for any reason you'd prefer ordinary pedometers, you can still find decent ones for about $15-20
    I used to use the Nike and the fitbit, too many reasons I went back to old school. Regardless of
    the method, seeing the numbers you create in the little window is motivating all on it's own! :)
  • JenasyJen
    Options
    Yes. I entered my info in treadmill. I also weigh and measure food when ever possible. So I think my calories going in are fairly accurate most days. Just gonna be careful not to eat back all my calories fitbit says I am burning. Maybe half lol. Burning that many calories just seems to good to be true lol.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Best to use fitbit as a tool to gauge TDEE vs. kcals burned (i.e. 30 min treadmill) because fitbit captures BMR + activity as the day progresses (very useful for determining NEAT). Pretty hard to calculate & record things like time spent pacing, standing up vs. sitting vs. laying down on a day to day basis without fitbit or similar device.

Still need to calculate kcals consumed though vs. fitbit TDEE & assess progress (weight, tape measurements, etc.) to determine accuracy
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Mine seems quite accurate, (Charge 2 HR) it may understate slightly (I do quite a bit of higher impact stuff). My HRM (myzone belt) gives me a higher burn figure, but anything finds it harder to estimate at higher end of HR, so I hope by the lower.

I also like it because when I started on this journey it gave me a base line and a measure I could use to improve movement. It was motivating, and still is
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    JenasyJen wrote: »
    Yes. I entered my info in treadmill. I also weigh and measure food when ever possible. So I think my calories going in are fairly accurate most days. Just gonna be careful not to eat back all my calories fitbit says I am burning. Maybe half lol. Burning that many calories just seems to good to be true lol.

One difference is Fitbit Versa will be continuously monitoring your HR. Once your HR gets high enough they start to use that in determining calories burned. A portion of the exercise burn is also your BMR and the treadmill likely reported NET calories not gross.

So for example:

175 calories during my 25 min workout this morning.

Of that about 23.3 was my BMR (based on estimated 14 calories burned every 15 mins for BMR).

So my NET was 151.7 for the workout.
  • JenasyJen
    Options
    Oo that makes alot of sense. I understand :) Thanks
  • jtechmart
    jtechmart Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit charge 2 and it's my companion for fitness every day. I love it. However, I view the calories burned differently than some people.

I really don't care if calories burned is accurate or not. Everyone is different and I don't think it's possible to have perfect accuracy. What matters is using calories burned as a reference point. So, I know if I consume 1800 cals or less from food and burn 3000+ cals according to fitbit, that calorie deficit leads to being right on track for my goals. I've tested it, so I'm going based on results. I know exactly how much weight I'll loose and inches I'll loose based on that reference point. I think its the best way to use calorie calculators like fitbit. Test it out, measure your results, and use it as a reference. Then it's highly accurate. Forget about the online calculators that take your age, height, etc...
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options

No, that was just the estimate for the ride. This is why I don't trust the estimates.

I tracked the entire ride on my Fitbit, pausing it during my brunch stop 35 miles into the ride. Fitbit estimated 4806 calories over 52.6 miles.

MapMyRide, also using GPS like my Fitbit Surge, I broke the ride into two rides. One, on the way to the brunch and a return ride.

Ride up, MMR claimed 3113 calories over the 34.9 miles up. It then claimed 1719 calories over the 18.4 on the way back. So again in the 4800 calorie range. Distance was closer to what the odometer on my bike indicated at 53.3. My bike odometer had 53.4 miles indicated.

After having slept, not sure where I got the 5200 calorie number from, so maybe I saw another number, or was just confused after (apparently) being in such a large calorie deficit (sarcasm.)

I don't allow myself to eat more than 1/2 of any recorded exercise calories.

I'm sure I burned a ton of calories. But I didn't burn nearly 5000 in 3.6 hours on my bicycle.

So I'd take calorie estimates with a healthy grain of salt.

My actual consumption yesterday was on the order of 2200 calories. I'm 5'11" and 215 pounds, FWIW.

g75m7jq064h2.jpg

yv8iashq4b2p.jpg

Seriously, 2 woos?

So those who are giving woos, do you really trust that I'm burning over 1000 calories/hour, BMR + exercise?

I don't.

I'd LOVE for it to be true so I could plow through a box of thin mints. (Well, there is still T2D to worry about.) But it's not true, so I don't trust the numbers.

Woo away, sheesh!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,595 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

No, that was just the estimate for the ride. This is why I don't trust the estimates.

I tracked the entire ride on my Fitbit, pausing it during my brunch stop 35 miles into the ride. Fitbit estimated 4806 calories over 52.6 miles.

MapMyRide, also using GPS like my Fitbit Surge, I broke the ride into two rides. One, on the way to the brunch and a return ride.

Ride up, MMR claimed 3113 calories over the 34.9 miles up. It then claimed 1719 calories over the 18.4 on the way back. So again in the 4800 calorie range. Distance was closer to what the odometer on my bike indicated at 53.3. My bike odometer had 53.4 miles indicated.

After having slept, not sure where I got the 5200 calorie number from, so maybe I saw another number, or was just confused after (apparently) being in such a large calorie deficit (sarcasm.)

I don't allow myself to eat more than 1/2 of any recorded exercise calories.

I'm sure I burned a ton of calories. But I didn't burn nearly 5000 in 3.6 hours on my bicycle.

So I'd take calorie estimates with a healthy grain of salt.

My actual consumption yesterday was on the order of 2200 calories. I'm 5'11" and 215 pounds, FWIW.

g75m7jq064h2.jpg

yv8iashq4b2p.jpg

Seriously, 2 woos?

So those who are giving woos, do you really trust that I'm burning over 1000 calories/hour, BMR + exercise?

I don't.

I'd LOVE for it to be true so I could plow through a box of thin mints. (Well, there is still T2D to worry about.) But it's not true, so I don't trust the numbers.

Woo away, sheesh!

Whether you can trust your numbers to "eat" them or not depends on the interaction of:

--the quality of your food intake log
    --the quality of your caloric expenditure log
    --the quality of your weight change measurement
    --how close to "average" you happen to be

All but the last are somewhat under one's control. You start by semi-trusting your numbers and you adjust based on results.

Cycling is a very well researched activity. A 15mph bike ride is a MET 10 activity. The higher the speed the more the MET value increases. Inclines and wind also have an effect. Some apps try to adjust for inclines and your bike's weight. (f.e. 16-19mph without drafting is about 12 MET)

A direct power meter would give you a better approximation. Strava will probably give you the most accurate estimation possible, short of being wired directly.

This means that a 100kg person engaged in that activity for 1 hour will burn approximately 1000 Calories (10 x 100 x 1)

Alternatively an 80kg person engaged in a MET 10 activity for 0.5 hours would burn ~400 Cal (10 x 80 x 0.5).

Whether YOU can eat those calories depends on the factors I outlined initially. However, this does not negate the fact that an average person engaged in that activity would, on average, burn this amount of calories.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    It’s fantastic when they work they can’t be faulted but they aren’t durable have had two and both have died just randomly lasted no more then a year charge 2 that is

This is why I switched to a Garmin Vivofit (I have the Vivofit 2). My first Fitbit stopped holding a charge after about 14 months. Vivofits use watch batteries so you never have to charge it. I just changed the batteries a couple of weeks ago after 3 years on the old ones.

No matter what brand of tracker you use, the more you use it and the more accurate your food logging is, the closer to real numbers it will become. After about 3 months of meticulous logging, my calories burned were within 100 calories of those I calculated using real time data.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Let's keep it confined to one number, which is what I was talking about, the expenditure.

(Edited to add, I do realize I also posted my food consumption of about 2200 calories Sunday, so perhaps that causes some confusion. Just wasn't hungry on Sunday. It was Monday where my body wanted to eat all the foods.)

My logging is pretty good, but not really relevant to the idea that the Fitbit gets an accurate calorie number.

All the Fitbit knows is the GPS data it picks up, the HR data it picks up and how much I weigh, my age and gender. So it came up with ~4800 calories in 3.6 hours of work averaging just under 15MPH.

It doesn't know anything about wind. I do believe it has terrain data from comparing the GPS data to geodata out there.

So if I rounded up my speed and my weight to be 100kg (I'm a few kg below) I'd only get to 10x100x3.6 or 3600 calories, or about 3/4rs of the value presented.

I believe my sedentary burn is around the 100 calories/hour, so even adding on another 350 for BMR, I'm still below 4k, but certainly closer.

I do agree, to get a better reading, a power meter is needed.

What I've found works for me is to only eat back 1/2 of what MMR and Fitbit suggest are my burns. That has kept me on a 1-2 pound per week weight loss.

I do weigh calorie dense foods on my food scale. So if I have a omelette, I weigh the cheese,but not the veggies I put in it.

So far, for the past 7.5 months, that approach has allowed me to drop 50#

I simply caution people to be a little skeptical of the calorie burns offered up by such tools.

It would be unwise for me to take the 4800 calorie figure as permission to eat 4800 calories of cookies just because I rode my bike.
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Whether you can trust your numbers to "eat" them or not depends on the interaction of:

--the quality of your food intake log
    --the quality of your caloric expenditure log
    --the quality of your weight change measurement
    --how close to "average" you happen to be

All but the last are somewhat under one's control. You start by semi-trusting your numbers and you adjust based on results.

Cycling is a very well researched activity. A 15mph bike ride is a MET 10 activity. The higher the speed the more the MET value increases. Inclines and wind also have an effect. Some apps try to adjust for inclines and your bike's weight. (f.e. 16-19mph without drafting is about 12 MET)

A direct power meter would give you a better approximation. Strava will probably give you the most accurate estimation possible, short of being wired directly.

This means that a 100kg person engaged in that activity for 1 hour will burn approximately 1000 Calories (10 x 100 x 1)

Alternatively an 80kg person engaged in a MET 10 activity for 0.5 hours would burn ~400 Cal (10 x 80 x 0.5).

Whether YOU can eat those calories depends on the factors I outlined initially. However, this does not negate the fact that an average person engaged in that activity would, on average, burn this amount of calories.