What is your daily routine??

Options
From morning to night, what are some keys to losing weight and keeping it off?

Replies

• endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    5:45am wake up
    7:30am eat oatmeal smoothie with protein powder
    12:30pm exercise for an hour
    1:30pm eat lunch
    6pm eat dinner
    that's about it? on weekends i like to go hiking so my calorie deficit is bigger and i can eat more.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I work M-F typical office hours. I work out in the evenings after work before or after making dinner. Then I play with my 2 year old. Sorry that's not very helpful lol.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how someone else's daily routine can help you stay at a deficit, but here goes.

I don't have an hourly routine because I sleep at random times but here's an example:

Wake up around 2pm. Have protein mousse for breakfast, go to the gym where I burn 300cals for an hour on the treadmill. Have lunch around 4 hours after breakfast, have dinner around 4 hours after lunch and eat around 250cals before bed and go to bed. Apart from the 300cals on the treadmill I sit for the rest of the day. Dinner is my biggest meal and I always have dessert with it (usually icecream). I eat 1500cals total to lose at 0.5lbs per week.

Typically:
    Breakfast 250cals
    Lunch 300cals
    Dinner 700 cals (200 of which dessert)
    Before bed 250cals

I prelog my food from the day before.
    I never leave the meal planning for until I get hungry.
    I weigh all my food on a digital kitchen scale and I log it using only the entries from the database after I've checked they are correct.

And then I battle everyday (for the last 3 years) with my desire to eat 2500cals... Sucks!
    I've mostly maintained for the last year due to my struggles to stay at a deficit.

I've written all of the above under the assumption that you know that to lose weight you need to eat less calories on average than your body burns.

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Typically on a weekday, I wake up between 5:30 am - 6:15 am as I don't have an alarm. I get up and weigh myself and change into workout clothes which have been prepared the night before and then walk briskly until 7:15 am. From here it is waking up my daughter, breakfast and preparing for the day ahead. My day consists of household chores, study and being a taxi for my daughter.
    Lunch is anywhere between 12 pm and 1 pm depending on my uni times.
    Afternoon tea is around 4 pm and tea between 6 pm and 7 pm depending on my daughters work hours. I will have dessert about an hour after tea.
    Bed is around 10 pm and I either pre-log my next day around this time and if not first thing in the morning.
    On the weekends I will normally walk for at least 2 hours because I don't have to worry about getting a child to school so have more flexibility. Saturday night is normally a takeaway night too so this gives me those extra calories.

What of these has helped with weight loss and maintenance?
    The biggest ones are:
    1. Prelogging the food intake for the day before I have eaten.
    2. Making sure my workout clothes are ready to go and walking first thing in the morning. If I skip this it becomes hard to motivate myself later on in the day.
    3. Allowing that takeaway meal once a week, but budgeting the calories for it.
    4. Having dessert every day. I then feel that I am not missing out, or that certain foods are off limits. I just make sure I have the calories to do this which is easy to manage with prelogging.
    5. Weighing daily which has helped keep me accountable and understand my body and normal fluctuations.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I eat breakfast around 10 am. I have a latte before then which has lots of whole milk, along with the caffeine it's an appetite suppressant. That works for me personally because I don't have much of an appetite to begin with in the mornings. So that holds me over until a very late breakfast of high protein Greek yogurt, which is filling. Then I skip lunch. Small afternoon snack, and a big satisfying dinner.

Will that formula work for you? Nope. But it's great for me because it makes it so I never feel very hungry. It hits my macros with foods I enjoy.

Know how I figured that out? I logged everything I ate. I don't need an app's permission to eat (meaning some days I go over my calories), but I log everything. The act of logging make me more aware. Over time, I started noticing patterns. Eventually I knew how to eat in a way I can be satisfied with, given my own personal tastes and lifestyle and everything.

Good luck in your journey. :smile:
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    1) Weigh myself daily when I get up.
    2) Exercise daily; currently rowing for me.
    3) Log everything I eat and stay below my net cal limit and near my high protein & low fat macro goals every day.

That's all I did to lose 46# over the past 30 months; 36# in the 1st 18 months and 10# in the last 12.

Was theoretically in maintenance the last 12 months but still lost 10# nonetheless.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,899 Member
    Options
    Attend uni.
    Work.
    Do carer stuff whenever I've got a second.
    Try to fit some running or walking in.
    Go into carer role after work.
    Do homework.
    Occasionally fit in some indoor cycling.
    Grab some sleep.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,899 Member
    Options
    To lose weight, a sustained calorie deficit. To maintain weight, calorie balance over time.

Yep.

CI = CO ... maintain.
    CI > CO ... gain.
    CI < CO ... lose.
  • jdubois5351
    jdubois5351 Posts: 460 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    5 - 5.20 Wake up (depending on what I need to do in the morning)
    5.20 - 6 Get ready for the day (pack my lunch etc.)
    6-6.30 Walk the dog for 30 minutes
    6.45/7 - 3 Work (8.30/9 Breakfast; 11.30/12 Lunch)
    3.30-5/6 Walk the dog
    6-8.30/9 Play on the computer, watch shows/movies etc.
    9 Walk the dog a final time
    9.30 Bed time

Lather, rinse, repeat. Holy crap, I'm an NPC, too :open_mouth:
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    I'm a boredom eater, so I try to keep my days as full as possible, and preferably not hang out at home where the free food is :)

At the moment I'm in a planned hiatus between finishing a course and getting a new job, so a typical day might look like:

5am SHUT UP CAT SHUT UP SHUT UP fine OK feed cat
    5-6am Lie in a daze failing to get back to sleep
    6am Weigh in, followed by fruit with vanilla Skyr: the breakfast of champions. Tea or matcha for essential caffeination.
    7.15am Walk to train station
    8am Get into town, walk uphill to gym
    9am First gym class
    10am COFFEE (My calorie goal is 70 kcal lower than the MFP recommendation to account for a daily coffee. Because coffee is life and I never want to find myself thinking it's a good idea to swap it out for something.) Read in cafe for a bit.
    Midday Second gym class, followed by shower and portable snack (eg cereal bar, banana)
    1.30pm Walk downhill to train station, just miss train, swear
    2.30pm Home. Feed cat, have lunch, do chores.
    3.30pm Aaaah, finally I can have a nice sit down. Ooh, is it afternoon snack time already? Faff about on internet, read, etc
    5.30pm Dinnertime!
    Evening: Feed cat, faff about while he sits on my lap and purrs, consume 50% of my exercise calories in chocolate and cookies
    9pm Sleeeee......
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    6:00 - Wake up and hush the puppy, go back to sleep
    7:00 - Roll out of bed, feed puppy, swear cause he's peed on the floor again even though the door is open RIGHT THERE
    7:05 - Make lunch and pack breakfast
    7:30 - Leave house for work
    8:00 - Get to work, have a cup of tea
    9:30-10:30 - Eat breakfast at desk, probably get another cup of tea
    12:00-12:30 - Go outside and eat lunch
    15:00 - Coffee
    16:00 - Leave the office
    16:30 - Collapse on the sofa
    17:00 - Feed puppy, then take him out for a walk
    18:30 - Start making dinner
    19:00-19:30 - Eat dinner followed by, guess what: tea
    21:00 - Get puppy down, lay in bed
    22:00 - Sleep
    24:00-1:30 - Get woken up by the puppy wanting to pee
    3:30-5:30 - As above
  • Caralarma
    Caralarma Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    My routine is i have a cup of tea at around 9:30 am and my first meal is at 12. I save most of my calories for night time because that's when I like to eat most and this has helped me keep my calories in check and lose weight
  • cschmitz110515
    cschmitz110515 Posts: 3,483 Member
    Options
    Work a desk job 08:00 - 16:30 & like several others, I work out before work because otherwise I'm too busy or lazy (excuses just too easy later in the day). Workout clothes are always ready night before, since hubby works 2nd shift, and I don't want to wake him. Try every day to have net calories green (positive) & drink min. 12c water.

Typical weekday:
    5:30 alarm rings / hit snooze / finally up & dress at 5:45
    6:00 - 7:00 either walk dog or workout in basement (weight machine, hand weights, stretches) ~ I aim for workouts 5-6 days per week, and always fit in a rest day but never more than two per week
    7:00 feed pets, clean litter box & eat breakfast ~ I HAVE to eat to start my day, been this way > 50 years
    7:45 - 16:45 commute & work: prelog usual mid-morning & afternoon snacks & lunch, add planned dinner (usually cooked at home) ~ I like knowing what net calories I'm dealing with for day, plus if I have wiggle room
    16:45 - 22:00 errands on way home, such as grocery shop or post office / cook dinner or eat leftovers / evening commitments or household chores / maybe watch TV or read
    21:00 unplug ~ no internet! otherwise I don't wind down for sleep
    22:00 bedtime routine (brush teeth, floss, etc.)
    22:15 alarm verified, in bed & TV off

I love to analyze my food diary ~ I've learned lots from it! CI < CO really works.