Should i eat my exercised calories?fitbit synced

Options
Hi i just synced my fitbit and its giving me extra calories to eat from what exercise i did should i eat them or just stick to my usual 1260? Anyone help??

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I do. I eat every single one.

However after years of using Fitbit and using a food scale to determine how much I am eating, I know that I can trust the calorie burn.
  • JadeGxo
    JadeGxo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I definitely want to 😂 i just hope i dont end up gaining weight 🙈 .. Thanks for the reply
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    MFP is giving you extra calories? you have both apps synced together? just to be clear!
    If they are both synced together, then yes you can eat back those calories but be aware they can be overestimated so eat some of them back.
    When you have data over time and your rate of loss is perhaps higher than it should be then you will know its ok to eat most if not all of them back.
  • JadeGxo
    Options
    yeah their both synced together .. That's smart thinking because most of the time i think it overestimates steps i think ill try eating half the extra calories see how that goes thanks 😊
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    Yeah that's what I used to do when in the losing phase :smile:
  • missvida58
    missvida58 Posts: 10 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I always eat some of my fitness calories. However MFP seems to be giving me extra calories. I earned 189 calories so far today. I have logged approximately 2900 steps on my fitbit and have not exercised yet today. I have deleted those calories under the exercise tab because this does not seem correct to me. I also earned 449 extra fitness calories yesterday, which I most definitely did not earn. Is anyone seeing this glitch?
  • JadeGxo
    Options
    i got 665 extra calories today ive done 14k steps so far today but its my first day with my fitbit synced to MFP so im not sure how it works yet 🙈
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    it also takes a while for fitbit to get to know your movements, that takes a few weeks and then the calorie burn will be more accurate imo.
    50% is a good average to eat back.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    missvida58 wrote: »
    665 calories seems like a lot. I've had similar days and never gotten that many calories, I think I would cry with joy if I did!!

it depends on the height/weight of the OP, the heavier and taller we are, the more we burn.
  • missvida58
    Options
    Unfortunately for me, my weight has not changed so this seems suddenly excessive.
  • JadeGxo
    Options
    i did a 60min walk this morning and a 40min walk after lunch (as a workout) not just me strolling around im trying to get the steps in .. And i have the fitbit 3 months now i only figured out i could sync it today 😂 .. Now you have me wondering if it is giving me to many extra calories to eat 🤔🤔
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    Have you input this much walking as exercise in the MFP database to see how much it gives? that would give you an idea if both are similar?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    Also you can use the Sparkspeople calorie burn calculator for exercise, again it would give you an idea of the burn. At the end of the day you'll know if you are over estimating your calorie burn by how your weight loss is going, if you are losing at the expected rate then all is well etc etc
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    I always eat some of my fitness calories. However MFP seems to be giving me extra calories. I earned 189 calories so far today. I have logged approximately 2900 steps on my fitbit and have not exercised yet today. I have deleted those calories under the exercise tab because this does not seem correct to me. I also earned 449 extra fitness calories yesterday, which I most definitely did not earn. Is anyone seeing this glitch?

It’s important to note that Fitbit adjustments are NOT just fitness calories.

The adjustment includes exercise and activity level correction. If you are just more active in general day to day life than you told MFP you will get an adjustment.
  • missvida58
    Options

It’s important to note that Fitbit adjustments are NOT just fitness calories.

The adjustment includes exercise and activity level correction. If you are just more active in general day to day life than you told MFP you will get an adjustment.

I did not realize this, and you're right, I was much more active this morning and yesterday at work. Thanks so much for this info!
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    Have you input this much walking as exercise in the MFP database to see how much it gives? that would give you an idea if both are similar?

The problem with this is that Fitbit adjustments aren’t just for exercise. They are activity level adjustments that include day to day activity as well as deliberate exercise. So if someone is more active than they told MFP they would be, they will get an adjustment even if there was no exercise.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    edited September 2018
    Options
    JadeGxo wrote: »
    i did a 60min walk this morning and a 40min walk after lunch (as a workout) not just me strolling around im trying to get the steps in .. And i have the fitbit 3 months now i only figured out i could sync it today 😂 .. Now you have me wondering if it is giving me to many extra calories to eat 🤔🤔

For me 1hr 40 min walk at around 3.5 miles an hour would give me a burn of approx 360 - but I'm only 5ft 2 and 125lbs.