Gym or home????

2»

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I prefer my home gym. No time wasted on travel to/fro. I can roll out of bed and go at any time. I can superset, leave my equipment out, and otherwise act in ways that would be rude in a public gym. If necessary, I can run upstairs to let a dog out/put something in the oven/otherwise TCB in between sets.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Either are effective; it's just personal preference. I greatly prefer my home gym but I also have all the equipment I need to follow the programs I like. I also don't have to worry about how I look or how raggy my clothes are. And I can grunt, cuss (I apparently do that a lot when I lift according to my husband) and blast whatever music I want.
  • 883xlsportster
    883xlsportster Posts: 221 Member
    I prefer home. No waiting around for a flat bench or rack. Crank the tunes and look at my girly posters ;-)
  • angelcrush93
    angelcrush93 Posts: 17 Member
    I think I prefer the gym because I'm not motivated at home and all I have personally is dumbbells...
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Home, I have a physio Step that works for me and have been using it. And have been taking walks everyday. Gym membership I tried it, but I admit I just quit to quickly. And was always so full by 545AM I am not a morning person. So doing at home works best for me.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I went to the gym for a while. Too much of an introvert to do classes, hated having to wait for people to use the equipment, and after 3 years I mostly stuck to the treadmill... so I ended up buying a treadmill and now a year later I've already saved $200, plus gas money, and I don't depend on gym hours and can use it during snowstorms...

I have dumbbells too, but, to be fair... I loathe weight lifting.

It really depends on what you like to do (I'd say that it depends on what your goals are too, but realistically, if you hate something, it's not going to be a long term thing anyway).
  • jgnickel
    jgnickel Posts: 81 Member
    Home. I have a 30 minute drive to the nearest gym. This means getting up at 330-4 to be able to get there, work out, drive back out to my house and be a t work by 7. I can get up at 430 and have a cup of coffee and go to the basement in my jammies and bed head and no one else can see me. I dedicated a 10 x 30 space in the basement for the "gym" and I have managed to find a lot of great second hand equipment.
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    edited September 2018
    Gym for me. I already spend too much time by myself, so it's good for my mental health to be around a few people sometimes. I go to a small, privately owned gym, so even in peak hours it doesn't get so crowded that I have to wait more than 5 minutes for equipment.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,024 Member
    Outdoors? (I'm a rower. Sometimes I cycle. Once in a while I even canoe or kayak. But the point is that there are more alternatives than home or gym. :) ).
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    There's no right or wrong answer. If you have the space, the self-discipline and can afford the equipment working out at home is great; no waiting for a squat rack or rower and no need to hop in the car to go somewhere. If you don't have the space you don't really have a choice!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    I'm a home workout gal, but that's because I'm not prepared to spend an hour round trip travelling to my nearest gym. At least at home I can consistently workout most days and I do at least 5 days each week.

Pick whichever one you can consistently do.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    I like a little bit of both to break up the monotony. But I don't just choose between home or gym. I do at least half my workouts outdoors (trail running, hiking, mountain biking.) So I have 3 options to choose from.
  • bdgfn
    bdgfn Posts: 7,719 Member
    I do both, and enjoy both. I like not only the larger variety of equipment at the gym but the atmosphere as well (usually). At home, though, I like not having to wait or work around others, or having to listen to people who have to scream with every rep.
  • BNY721
    BNY721 Posts: 125 Member
    I like both, but prefer the gym. It’s easier to push myself harder in that environment...but I do have a small setup at home with a rack, bench, etc so I will supplement at home when needed (time constraints, etc.).
  • Heidijens123
    Heidijens123 Posts: 289 Member
    Gym. I love going to classes and the other ladies in class are friendly and inspire me to push myself. Also my family and I know I have class at that time and I'm going. That being said I also enjoy a saturday morning bike ride.
  • Muscle_for_Fitness
    Muscle_for_Fitness Posts: 2,198 Member
    I enjoy both. I've got a home gym and love being able to crank the music loud and use whatever equipment I want when I want. I do get a bit more motivation at the gym though and can use my buddies and coaches for form check easier.
  • dawnvt043
    dawnvt043 Posts: 6 Member
    For me, it's home. The nearest gym is over 30 minutes away and I find myself not wanting to put all that extra effort in to go. I have a treadmill, a ellpitcal, and the ifit app. It's been really keeping me going so far.