Low carb day 1

Options
RoseJaneNB
RoseJaneNB Posts: 34 Member
edited September 2018 in Motivation and Support
Just starting this low carb Keto thing. I’m 42, mom of 3. Anyone else out there starting similar regimes? It’s day 1 today. I want to do it for a few weeks to shift some summer weight gain...... Fingers crossed!!!!!

Replies

• melvynjj
    melvynjj Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I’m on month 3 of keto (been kinda lazy lately on logging my food). There’s definitely a transition period for the first couple of weeks. Just be ready for the “keto flu.”

But it’s working very well for me. I’m down about 30lbs so far. Feel free to message me if you have questions!
  • ladyethorne1
    ladyethorne1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 13 of going completely keto, and while I don't feel a change in my energy level yet, I still notice a marked difference in staying leveled out all day long and my stress seems to show a definitive improvement as well. It hasn't been easy but I have to say that it's been more fun than any other diet I've tried over the years.
  • mary2799
    mary2799 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been on keto for a week, down over 5 pounds but one of the things that i'm most excited about is that my skin is not nearly as dry.
  • lalabank
    lalabank Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Today is day 14 for me and I’m down 8lbs. I have to agree, this is fun. I’ve dieted so many times over the years and it had gotten kind of boring. Keto is shaking things up for me. I added in some electrolytes because my potassium and magnesium were low and I was feeling achy. It totally did the trick. Also chugged some psyllium husk for added fiber to get things moving down there.
    Is it possible to do 30lb in 90 days? I’m going to try! I’m eating 1350 calories 70:25:5 and plan to move to 1200 once I stall out.
    I know my goal is a little extreme and I’ll be happy if I lose half that in twice as much time. But I want to put Keto to the test!
  • Bootylishbabe
    Bootylishbabe Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, i’m Sammie, 36 from uk and been on keto since April losing 39 lb. add me if you like and we can motivate each other.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    RoseJaneNB wrote: »
    Just starting this low carb Keto thing. I’m 42, mom of 3. Anyone else out there starting similar regimes? It’s day 1 today. I want to do it for a few weeks to shift some summer weight gain...... Fingers crossed!!!!!

As long as you don't mind gaining a portion of the weight back after the few weeks is up?
  • mizchiz
    mizchiz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I’ve been thinking about trying low carb,especially for my hubby who needs to lose a lot of belly fat. Just beginning to research it but hopefully I can pick up some tips here. Please add me as a friend if you’d like to help a couple old folks eat healthier so we can stay around longer. Thanks
  • mcja9543
    mcja9543 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm just starting out on Keto. I'm really not sure about my macro figures. It is only day one. I intend to continue eating to this prescription for life. I'm really hooked on Dr Berg on You tube.
    So got calculated at
    Fat 110g
    Protein 88g
    Carbs 18g.
    Age 50
    47% Body fat
    206lbs.
    Do I trust the Keto calculator?
    Had 1 peice of chicken it weighed 107g? Without the skin. Do I just put 1 peice of chicken into the diary and see what it calculates? Or add it as 106g? If so I'm over my protein for the day already? Don't understand?Help?
  • RoseJaneNB
    Options

As long as you don't mind gaining a portion of the weight back after the few weeks is up?
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with trying a LCHF way of eating if that type of food satiates you, or if you have a medical reason to restrict carbs - but since you specifically mentioned weight loss it’s important to note that there’s no particular advantage for keto or low carb for weight loss over any other calorie restricted diet.

A lot of people find it easier to eat and stay within the calorie deficit but with all the hype right now, I think it’s important to note that it is not a magical solution for weight loss.
    I think I’m usually pretty low carbs. But not enough to be in Ketosis. I’m hoping that after a while the loss may be manageable... I find that calorie controlled weight loss is harder somehow - I miss certain foods such as mayonnaise and I start to crave things.. like if I’m allowed a little sugar, say one cookie, I tend to fall back and eat more after a few days. I think maybe I’m an all in type... no sugar is easier than a teasing little bit... same with carbs... I love bread, but not eating it ismahbe easier than just having one slice... I dunno, we’ll see. I’m also upping the daily steps as I know excercise is the key, plus diet.
  • lalabank
    Options
    mcja9543 wrote: »
    Hi I'm just starting out on Keto. I'm really not sure about my macro figures. It is only day one. I intend to continue eating to this prescription for life. I'm really hooked on Dr Berg on You tube.
    So got calculated at
    Fat 110g
    Protein 88g
    Carbs 18g.
    Age 50
    47% Body fat
    206lbs.
    Had 1 peice of chicken it weighed 107g? Without the skin. Do I just put 1 peice of chicken into the diary and see what it calculates? Or add it as 106g? If so I'm over my protein for the day already? Don't understand?Help?

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

WinoGelato wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with trying a LCHF way of eating if that type of food satiates you, or if you have a medical reason to restrict carbs - but since you specifically mentioned weight loss it’s important to note that there’s no particular advantage for keto or low carb for weight loss over any other calorie restricted diet.

A lot of people find it easier to eat and stay within the calorie deficit but with all the hype right now, I think it’s important to note that it is not a magical solution for weight loss.
    I think I’m usually pretty low carbs. But not enough to be in Ketosis. I’m hoping that after a while the loss may be manageable... I find that calorie controlled weight loss is harder somehow - I miss certain foods such as mayonnaise and I start to crave things.. like if I’m allowed a little sugar, say one cookie, I tend to fall back and eat more after a few days. I think maybe I’m an all in type... no sugar is easier than a teasing little bit... same with carbs... I love bread, but not eating it ismahbe easier than just having one slice... I dunno, we’ll see. I’m also upping the daily steps as I know excercise is the key, plus diet.

Whatever works.

Exercise isn't key - you should do some from a health perspective but all you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit
  • lalabank
    Options
    lalabank wrote: »
    mcja9543 wrote: »
    So got calculated at
    Fat 110g
    Protein 88g
    Carbs 18g.
    Age 50
    47% Body fat
    206lbs.

Sorry for the blank comment. Your macros look ok if you are ready to commit to a totally Keto lifestyle. You should check with your doctor before starting. There are lots of little things that should be monitored.
    As for food nutrition, chicken wings are a funny one to figure out. Calorieking.com had the best options I could find. They give you the option of weight uncooked with bone in for the final nutrition count of the part you eat. It’s all relative though, no two chicken wings are good he same.
  • RoseJaneNB
    Options
    Day 4 and im doing 👍🏻
  • BabeMeister83
    BabeMeister83 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've been doing keto sense February, so far I've lost 58.8 pounds and have about 80 more to go!
  • mkm81
    mkm81 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 3 along with intermittent fasting! I don't eat between 7pm and 11am, only coffee in the morning before the 11am timeframe. So far, it's not been too bad and I can tell that my cravings are already subsiding.
  • gail2451
    gail2451 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    For LCHF go to Diet Doctor and read. It works and it's easy to get into a new way of eating.
  • jodymaro1
    jodymaro1 Posts: 63 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I lost 30 lbs twice years ago on Atkins. I also lost 30 on weight watchers but hate that my metabolism slowed. I’m on day one for low carb lifestyle after coming off a 2 1/2 day water and salt fast. I will be doing intermittent fasting also each week 1-2 or more times a week, the 16:8 one. I’ve lost three plus pounds so far and that’s since my last big meal Saturday night of fasting. Not much but I couldn’t stand the taste in mouth anymore being In Ketosis. Plus this morning was my first day from my fast that I felt dizzy and weak. I love fasting tho and used to do it one time a year but will be doing it more often now. It’s good to do I believe from my research. For your body mind and spirit. It gives you your power over food and obsessions back too. I like low carb so far and hope it lasts cuz occasionally I like some white wine on weekends or a dessert on holidays lol. I guess cheating once In a while is good tho cuz it makes you feel sane. As long as you go right back to it the next day and rest of the week. Sorry for such a long response haha. By the way I am on medication past few months for underactive thyroid. Was probably from all the fad diets and diet pills and low calorie diets I did since I was 19. I was 97 lbs up thru age 19 then maintained 115 for years but it always kept creeping up again every year or so, hence the weight watchers and Atkins past 10-20 years did - as I said and lost 30 lbs three times. Never ending battle but hop fully my medication will put me back to normal!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    jodymaro1 wrote: »
    I lost 30 lbs twice years ago on Atkins. I also lost 30 on weight watchers but hate that my metabolism slowed. I’m on day one for low carb lifestyle after coming off a 2 1/2 day water and salt fast. I will be doing intermittent fasting also each week 1-2 or more times a week, the 16:8 one. I’ve lost three plus pounds so far and that’s since my last big meal Saturday night of fasting. Not much but I couldn’t stand the taste in mouth anymore being In Ketosis. Plus this morning was my first day from my fast that I felt dizzy and weak. I love fasting tho and used to do it one time a year but will be doing it more often now. It’s good to do I believe from my research. For your body mind and spirit. It gives you your power over food and obsessions back too. I like low carb so far and hope it lasts cuz occasionally I like some white wine on weekends or a dessert on holidays lol. I guess cheating once In a while is good tho cuz it makes you feel sane. As long as you go right back to it the next day and rest of the week. Sorry for such a long response haha. By the way I am on medication past few months for underactive thyroid. Was probably from all the fad diets and diet pills and low calorie diets I did since I was 19. I was 97 lbs up thru age 19 then maintained 115 for years but it always kept creeping up again every year or so, hence the weight watchers and Atkins past 10-20 years did - as I said and lost 30 lbs three times. Never ending battle but hop fully my medication will put me back to normal!

If this approach is so great, why have you had to do it more than once, and why do you feel compelled to “cheat”? What was the point of the 2.5 day salt and water fast?