Best Protein for Lactose intollerance

Options
Hi Guys,

I would like to start using shakes after workout but can't decide which one to go for as I'm lactose intolerance. I bought chick pea protein and its horrible flavour. Any suggestions?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    There are so many foods that are rich in protein and not containing lactose, so are you dead set on shakes?
  • LinuteT
    LinuteT Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    To be honest I'm not but i don't know much about food after workout : My bfast would be egg if i dont train in the morning and porridge if i do
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    You can actually eat anything anytime. If you want to eat right after exercise, just bring portable food.
  • LinuteT
    Options
    if i train in the morning i eat more carbs and then i try no carbs for the day and if i train in the evening all day i eat no carbs and only dinner with carbs. Am I doing it ok or im messed up all together? Im trying to follow food plans of Joe wicks
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    I don't know who Joe Wicks is, but unless he's with you all the time and slaps you if you don't stick to his plans, you can eat whatever you want, and I really think it's a better idea to just eat normal balanced meals.
  • LinuteT
    Options
    hahaah do you have any rules that you follow to balance your daily meals?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    LinuteT wrote: »

I've seen Joe wicks' programs on TV.... They make me want to bang my head against a wall and/or throw abuse at the TV. He sprouts so much rubbish.

I plan my whole day of meals. I have a certain amount of each macro I'm trying to hit and I don't care where, when, how I get to that amount!
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    Yes, I actually do! For breakfast and lunch, I have (the equivalent of) 1 slice of bread with something (fish/meat/cheese) on it, 100 grams of whole milk, and one portion of fruit and raw vegetable. I vary my meals - breakfast, lunch and dinner are always different - but sometimes I can eat the exact same things for breakfast or lunch a few days in a row, depends on what I have on hand that needs to be eaten fast. The equivalents can be (partly exchanged for) porridge w/butter, crispbread, boiled egg; for lunch, I can also have omelet, smoothie, noodles, salad, unplanned leftovers, or practically anything. Dinners are a protein, a starch and a veg. Sometimes I make a casserole, which has all those components; if I make vegetable soup, I have dessert; if I have "breakfast for dinner", I add some raw vegetables and maybe milk.
  • LinuteT
    Options

I've seen Joe wicks' programs on TV.... They make me want to bang my head against a wall and/or throw abuse at the TV. He sprouts so much rubbish.

I plan my whole day of meals. I have a certain amount of each macro I'm trying to hit and I don't care where, when, how I get to that amount!

do you think his meals useless? i like few bits but i try to keep simple
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    Simple is not the same as easy. Look at my description of my routines - they look so complicated written down, but in practice, it's really simple and intuitive (for me). Trying to not eat carbs half of the day sounds really easy, but it's not, and it's completely unnecessary.
  • LinuteT
    Options
    Yes, I actually do! For breakfast and lunch, I have (the equivalent of) 1 slice of bread with something (fish/meat/cheese) on it, 100 grams of whole milk, and one portion of fruit and raw vegetable. I vary my meals - breakfast, lunch and dinner are always different - but sometimes I can eat the exact same things for breakfast or lunch a few days in a row, depends on what I have on hand that needs to be eaten fast. The equivalents can be (partly exchanged for) porridge w/butter, crispbread, boiled egg; for lunch, I can also have omelet, smoothie, noodles, salad, unplanned leftovers, or practically anything. Dinners are a protein, a starch and a veg. Sometimes I make a casserole, which has all those components; if I make vegetable soup, I have dessert; if I have "breakfast for dinner", I add some raw vegetables and maybe milk.

Carbs like cereal/rice/pasta/potato (include 1 portion at each main meal and ensure it fills no more than ¼ of your plate) -Your clenched fist

Protein like meat/poultry/fish/tofu/pulses (aim to have a portion at each meal) -Palm of your hand

Cheese (as a snack or part of a meal) -2 of your thumbs

Nuts/seeds (as a snack or part of a meal)-1 of your cupped hands

Butter/spreads/nut butter (no more than 2 or 3 times a day)-The tip of your thumb

Savouries like popcorn/crisps (as a snack/treat)-2 of your cupped hands

Bakes like brownies/flapjacks (as an occasional treat)-2 of your fingers

does that looks like something u follow?
  • kommodevaran
    edited September 2018
    Options

Carbs like cereal/rice/pasta/potato (include 1 portion at each main meal and ensure it fills no more than ¼ of your plate) -Your clenched fist

Protein like meat/poultry/fish/tofu/pulses (aim to have a portion at each meal) -Palm of your hand

Butter/spreads/nut butter (no more than 2 or 3 times a day)-The tip of your thumb

It looks like something I've read about often, and that I would warn against, unless you know what you're doing and why. Portion control is important, but the amounts of each individual food should be up to your preference, and seen in connection with the occasion. What you eat should add up to appropriate calories for your height, weight, sex and activity level (and ensure you're maintaining weight if you're at a healthy weight, and lose/gain accordingly if you aren't), and balanced so that you get in enough of all the nutrients you need every day, and ideally, consist of a variety of foods over time. The calorie target MFP gave you, and your food diary in tandem with a food scale, makes all those rules redundant - their purpose should be to act as quick guidelines to have in the back of your head, after all the bases are covered.

EDIT: Your rules actually come with context, which we don't see often, it's a great improvement, but I still think it's unnecessarily restrictive and you'll have to memorize those sizes and decide what is what for each item.
  • LinuteT
    Options
    oh my head is melting :dizzy: ill try my best to load all into MFP and see how im getting on .Ill keep following simple combination rules9mb653yltshe.jpg
  • alicebhsia1
    alicebhsia1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    i just bought a plant based Pure Protein brand can of strawberry flavored protein powder and it was disgusting! tasted like pure chalk. i ended up throwing it all away and repurposing the can. so that's my recommendation. DON'T buy that stuff! i have tried some hemp protein powder that wasn't too bad but i think it was just plain hemp protein so i had to jazz it up a little with like sweet almond milk.. it's a little on the expensive side though and it does go bad so you need to buy fresh. you could probably make your own out of ground up hemp seeds, i think that's basically what it was. i also used to make nut milk shakes in a magic bullet blender. those weren't bad. some walnuts or almonds or whatever nut you like and some water and agave sweetener. not awful and little chewy bits at the end that were pretty yummy. though honestly i think i'd prefer a glass of almond milk and a handful of nuts raw not blended.
  • kommodevaran
    edited September 2018
    Options
    As you will have noticed, what's regarded as simple and easy (or head-melting) will be highly individual - your chart does not just look unnecessarily complicated, but also like bad* science, to me. Note number 7 is the only thing that rings true to me.

*very bad, very very bad. How can people recommend this to anyone, and sleep at night?
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    OWYN protein powder is 1000x the best vegan I have ever tried and I've had them all. If you message them on facebook they send you free samples!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

One of the benefits of calorie counting is that you can throw away all these types of silly rules - which are really only a roundabout way of reducing your calories.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    FYI, whey protein isolate contains no lactose. I'm pretty sure even regular whey protein contains very little lactose.

Fairlife milk (just filtered milk) is lactose-free. Fairlife makes protein shakes that are (more filtered milk) and lactose free. Shelf stable too, I prefer them at room temp.

I'm lactose intolerant. I use whey protein isolate when I need more low calorie protein in my day, I mix it with cashew milk (best nut milk I've found) because it's lactose free and low calorie, tastes better than water. Now I use fairlife whole as I'm not restricted on calories anymore and it's more protein. But I don't find the need to add protein to my diet now that I'm in maintenance and allowed more calories.

I drink protein shakes when I'm unable to eat in a timely manner. Like yesterday I went to the gym and then had to run errands after, right through lunchtime. I had a protein shake. I wouldn't always have one after the gym, but this held me over until I got home around 2.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    My sister uses Garden Life.

I like my 1stphorm. They even have a vegan range. I have a tiny bit of lactose intolerance but the original products haven't bugged me. They also taste great instead of like chalk.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    My personal favorite for flavor is the S.A.N. Chocolate Peanut Butter (vegan) one. It tastes good with just water.