eating almonds--- good or bad?

Options
All,
I bought some raw almonds from Trader Joe's. They are really tasty. I am just wondering if eating them is good for me or bad for me? sometimes I feel guilty when I add them to my diary, and I don't know if they can be detrimental to losing weight. Thoughts?
also, I don't overeat them, i stick with the serving size (1/4 cup) or much less.

Replies

• Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    GOOD if you have a reasonable serving size!!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Good!
    But they are calorie dense so you do have to pay attention to portion size.
    I count them and enter them by number. It's still surprising to me that 4 or 6 almonds can be a nice little snack to keep me going!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Excellent source of fat. Satisfying crunch. And filling. It's a win win win.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    since you bought raw almonds you're skipping the problem of the salt and roasted almonds, take a handful and enjoy them, log them, they fit into most of our healthy routines
  • sarahemily72
    Options
    Dr. Oz recommends walnuts. You just have to watch your serving size.
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    I. fu.cking. love. almonds!
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I love almonds. They are one of my favorite health foods, however, they are dangerous with out my food scale.

About 30 grams is 160 calories, however, 30 grams of almonds is more filling than you would expect. If you do not have a scale, you can estimate that each almond is 1 gram.

I eat one-two servings every day. Have I mentioned that I love them?
  • parris1164
    Options
    almonds are very good for you as is peanuts ... and I must say I have a trick if I don't want to eat alot .... I eat a handful of them about 30 min - 1hr before I eat and it is filling ... keeps me from eating too much .... and yes, they are very good for you ... just don't eat the whole container .... LOL
  • loseatonlady
    Options
    Everyone is right - they are great, in moderation! Try the unsalted roasted ones - they have 1g more fiber & I like the taste better. If you have an Aldi's near you - they are the cheapest place w/best quality to get them! ENJOY!
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    almonds are a great snack!!!! One of my go-to's.
  • kadoodle76
    kadoodle76 Posts: 234
    Options
    eatin some right now as a matter of fat :happy: they have a lot of calories but they are happy healthy calories unlike chips and cake. enjoy!
  • kadoodle76
    kadoodle76 Posts: 234
    Options
    eatin some right now as a matter of fat :happy: they have a lot of calories but they are happy healthy calories unlike chips and cake. enjoy!

um...fact...forgive my dietary typo :laugh:
  • FindingFit50s
    Options

um...fact...forgive my dietary typo :laugh:

HA!!! I thought you were just making a clever pun!!
  • Cam_
    Cam_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    They have "good" natural fat in them also (unlike animal fat). It is surprising how full they can make you feel with just a few. I believe they work out to about 8 calories each so that should be helpful.
  • kristarablue
    Options
    Almonds = Happiness...yummm. I buy them and split them up into ziplock bags so I only eat a serving at a time...but ya, if I have extra calories almost always a go to food...yummy crunch, flavor, filling and good fat. I say keep em!
  • PenTool
    PenTool Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Almonds are great! They are a good source of Riboflavin, Magnesium and Manganese, and an excellent source of Vitamin E. Just watch your serving size. For me, a handful is one serving (about 1/4 cup, or 24-28 almonds).
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    Love almonds. I make a spicy mixed nut thing from Ellie Kriger. Loads of nuts, seeds, curry powder, rosemary, maple sryup, sea salt. Roast in oven. Yummo. Just have to watch the portion size but a great snack.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I buy them and split them up into ziplock bags so I only eat a serving at a time...
    That's what I do too... my desk drawer is full of ziplocs full of 1/4 cup portions.
  • datzun
    datzun Posts: 198
    Options
    I. fu.cking. love. almonds!

This.

I have at least one serving a day.
  • hipsgalore
    hipsgalore Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    you guys are great! I am learning a lot. Eat on, I will! thanks