AAARRGGHH, I NEED A DONER KEBAB!!!

Please help. I absolutely crave some scrapings of that five day old, rat infested, elephant leg from my fat belly worry free days. Now though I'm watching my calorie intake. Doner kebab weighs in at about 93 billion calories. Surely with so much leeway, somebody must have come up with a low or at least lower cal option. I know Iceland do a slightly lower cal version, but if you have a recipe for a diet friendly version, I'll give you my life savings.

Replies

• slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Please help. I absolutely crave some scrapings of that five day old, rat infested, elephant leg from my fat belly worry free days. Now though I'm watching my calorie intake. Doner kebab weighs in at about 93 billion calories. Surely with so much leeway, somebody must have come up with a low or at least lower cal option. I know Iceland do a slightly lower cal version, but if you have a recipe for a diet friendly version, I'll give you my life savings.

Give me your life savings and I'll see what I can invent . Lol

I had a chicken kebab yesterday , 630 cals :p which is lucky because after your description I'm not sure I want one again :D
  • edobesir
    edobesir Posts: 1 Member
    I'll workout for 5+ hours just to have real Donner Kebab!!! They are that Good!
    I'll bike for 50 miles :)
  • TerryMyfitbitsnbobs
    TerryMyfitbitsnbobs Posts: 238 Member
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    I wish I had the answer! I almost had a heart attack when I logged a kebab that one time and have never eaten one since. But *kitten* they're good. Let me see if I can think of a way to make it less than a billion calories - maybe:

* those low fat (low taste) tortilla wraps (~100cals?)
    * lots of lettuce and tomato and tabouleh (~50 cals ish)
    * chobani low fat greek yogurt with garlic minced through it as the garlic sauce (~50 cals ish)
    * low fat hummus spread on the tortilla (~50 cals ish)
    * lean beef strips pan fried on those non-stick pans so no oil (~200 cals ish)

Wouldn't taste anything like the deliciousness that you described above, but still... less than half the calories of a real kebab...

Some inspirational ideas. I don't mind losing the pitta bread. In fact I'd wrap it in lots of lettuce leaves.
  • TerryMyfitbitsnbobs
    crazyravr wrote: »

Make room for it if you crave it that much. Otherwise, its not worth it.

You're right, but even though MyFitness app gives me a whopping great 2660 calories per day to work with, a greasy doner kebab is more than that in one go.
  • jdubois5351
    jdubois5351 Posts: 460 Member
    Hmmm, I always get the kebab box, which is just meat and salad, and that's about 500 calories - and I'm totally stuffed afterwards. Granted, I don't like sauces, so I'm saving some calories there, but I find what makes it bad is the bread. I eat a Döner box at least once a week.
  • TerryMyfitbitsnbobs
    When I go axe throwing, I burn off also a greasy doner kebab. Add a bit of resistance band training in the morning and I may get that heart stopper yet.
  • mikesphoto
    mikesphoto Posts: 22 Member
    Great, now I'm hungry.
  • jdubois5351

You're right, but even though MyFitness app gives me a whopping great 2660 calories per day to work with, a greasy doner kebab is more than that in one go.

Huh? What kind of Döner Kebab are you guys getting where you're from??? No kebab I've ever had was more than 700 calories, and that includes bread and sauce!

• jdubois5351
    My standard Döner Box includes meat (veal) and salad. The macros for one serving (app. 350 g) are as follows:

calories: 467
    fat: 35,4 g
    protein: 29,1 g
    carbs: 9,3 g

Depending on the server, it's a bit more meat or more salad, so the macros vary a tiny bit, but overall, it's really perfectly ok and easily fits into my eating plan, even several times a week.

I'd be really interested to know what you consider a proper Döner to get to over 2,000 calories!
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    edited October 2018

Huh? What kind of Döner Kebab are you guys getting where you're from??? No kebab I've ever had was more than 700 calories, and that includes bread and sauce!

I think Terry is from the UK based on his Iceland Super market reference.

A survey of 76 councils across the UK, which tested 490 kebab shops, revealed that on average a standard sized one contained 1006 Kcals per serving and a large one contained 2000 Kcals that was before sauces were added.

The high calories in those, compared to yours, is probably due to low quality fatty cuts of meats being used compared to the Veal in yours.

(The survey also found that one in 3 contained meat from multiple animals!)

Anyway now I'm craving one too. Maybe a small one....

0_SWNS_KATE_KEBAB_22.jpg

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Ohhhh... me rolling off my chair just thinking about them...

We used to get something from the doerner place down the hill. I forget what it was called, but it was french fries on the bottom, then the meat, then a red sauce, then yoghurt sauce, lettuce? tomatoes? I'm not sure, but last, they MELTED BUTTER and drizzled it over the top. Darn stuff melted the styrofoam box. Dang, that was yummy. We always shared it, but I'm sure it was 2 days' worth of calories. I say save up room and treat yourself every once in a while. That will make it even more worth it.
  • Flogster
    Flogster Posts: 7 Member
    What about a chicken Kebab or Lamb shish? Easy on the sauce, pile on the lettuce...would that not suffice in any way?
  • MrsBeckiC
    MrsBeckiC Posts: 16 Member
    Make your own google slimming world donor kabab lean mince spices and what ever you want with it I have garlic mayo and salad x
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    It helps me if I think about next day's meal plan. Looking forward to a big dinner of 1.000 calories plus? I'll have a light breakfast (1 or 2 eggs, mushrooms, a tomato with a little oil for frying), do a little exercise - say half an hour to an hour walk, have a light lunch (large mixed salad with a spicy home - made marinade and lots of cottage cheese) and I'll be ready for a great dinner. In total I should stay under 1.800 calories for the day, as per MFP. calculation. Doesn't always work, but trying my best.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    I haven't had good doner kebab since I lived in Izmir.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,913 Member
    Hmmm, I always get the kebab box, which is just meat and salad, and that's about 500 calories - and I'm totally stuffed afterwards. Granted, I don't like sauces, so I'm saving some calories there, but I find what makes it bad is the bread. I eat a Döner box at least once a week.

Dunno about your kebabs but the ones we get here in Australia the bread is the least of our caloric worries. One piece of lebanese bread is like 250-odd calories... but the greasy delicious meat (especially the lamb one.. droooool) would be WAY more than that. Plus add the hummus and garlic sauce... I'd say the meat alone would be pushing 600 cals.
  • Cahgetsfit

The ones in Australia are roughly 1200 when I logged it a couple of years ago. haven't had one since.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    edited October 2018
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »

Dunno about your kebabs but the ones we get here in Australia the bread is the least of our caloric worries. One piece of lebanese bread is like 250-odd calories... but the greasy delicious meat (especially the lamb one.. droooool) would be WAY more than that. Plus add the hummus and garlic sauce... I'd say the meat alone would be pushing 600 cals.

Ut oh.. I've been logging 620 cals for a chicken kebab with sweet chilli sauce😬
    zhppmkz84m3d.jpg
  • Cahgetsfit
    @slimgirl maybe the McDonalds ones? I don't know. I suppose depends how huge it is? Chicken one would be less than the lamb one for sure tho. But bear in mind it's chicken thigh meat - so more fat more calories. Then would depend on the bread - plain old Leb bread or is it the Greek pitta bread? then the sauces and so on.

Maybe one of these days I'll brave a kebab again and take it apart and weigh the meat and eyeball the rest of the ingredients to see what it would stack up to. Def more than 100g meat on the ones I used to get.