Weight-loss struggles amongst so many success stories

Options

Replies

• hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    The logging is key to understanding what is keeping you fat and seeing the effect of changes you make.

Two things that helped me get started, chromium picolineate for sweet tooth, reading up and practicing mindful eating...well three things, platejoy.com made planning easy.
  • svlofthouse
    svlofthouse Posts: 46 Member
    Options

You aren't carefully logging if you don't weigh everything and using valid database entries.

I often can’t weigh all of my food as I have to eat food that soemone else has prepared because of the nature of my work. Although I will try to make the healthiest choice I can at lunch, I’m limited to what is served and my vegetarianism.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    DoubleUbea wrote: »
    The first question you will be asked by everyone is, "Do you use a food scale to measure your food?"
    I use one every time I prepare my own meals but I’m sometimes forced to pick the closest thing I can find preprepared on the app. This I the issue, as I feel like I’m doing everything right most of the time.

How are you forced? I can understand *choosing* to eat something that you aren't sure of the calories on, but forced? No.

Anyway, you don't need a thousand calorie deficit to lose weight. If 1,000 calories is too hard and leads you to binge (which would be the case for a lot of people), opt for something more reasonable like 250 calories a day. Yeah, it's slower weight loss. But if it allows you to be more consistent and avoid binges, it will wind up being faster in the long run.

Another vote for a less aggressive deficit which will be less likely to lead to binges.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    You aren't carefully logging if you don't weigh everything and using valid database entries.

I often can’t weigh all of my food as I have to eat food that soemone else has prepared because of the nature of my work. Although I will try to make the healthiest choice I can at lunch, I’m limited to what is served and my vegetarianism.

What's your protein goal and do you consistently hit it? I get the munchies when I don't get enough protein. My brain thinks it wants carbs, but what my body actually wants is protein.
  • svlofthouse
    Options
    If you ate 1,000 more calories than you your daily goal, that happened, whether you tracked it or not. It's way more beneficial to be honest with yourself and know where you stand than to pretend it didn't happen and live in denial. Try to think of it simply as feedback, and don't beat yourself up about high-calorie days. They happen to all of us!

Also, you mentioned having to choose the closest "preprepared" item on the app to estimate your calories. MFP has a recipe builder - you can set up recipes for anything you make. (Or you can always add individual ingredients.)

Yeah thank you, I’ll definitely start to just log everything, even if it’s hard. I think that might be what I need to finally start to lose weight.
    I’m terms of the inaccurate logging, I use the recipe builder for recipes I make, but have no clue really what goes into things I’m served. However, I have to eat this or I will really be letting weight loss take over my life. How do I stop it becoming all consuming?

• svlofthouse
    Options
    @wmweeza thank you so much. That was really inspirational and interesting so read. Maybe I’m going too strict and that’s causing my binges. I’ll take your advice for a week at least and see how it goes!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Oh for cavorting *kittens'* and *puppies'* sake. The OP used deficit instead of overage in their OP and I continued using their terminology instead of fixing it.

You aren't helping!! You're part of the problem! (said with all the hugs and lols - and thanks for explaining. Please to use sarcasm font next time. Kthanksbye.)