Gym or no gym ?

Options
13»

Replies

• jogetsgains
    jogetsgains Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    @jlsmith4439 I would like to know what you decide and what kind of workout you choose 🙂
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    @jlsmith4439 I would like to know what you decide and what kind of workout you choose 🙂

I am not @jlsmith4439 but I have a suggestion base on my experience...

I sat down with a trainer and told him my realistic goals and on what schedule I am likely to actually come in; it's very important to be straight up. For me, it's stay fit and trim when I am not doing enough outdoor activities and maybe get a little more definition in my abs. But I am only going to make it in 3 times a week for an hour each time. This coming week, most of my time will be in group training.

He showed me a little on the TRX and I am taking a small group TRX basics training class from him this coming week. I was sold enough on that just from the intro that I ordered a TRX knock off and will do some of that at home, which will help push up my exercise time.

I am going to mix and match 30 minutes routines.
    • A standard circuit training done in a special area where everyone has to move on at the same pace in the same order. I am also doing a small group training on that this coming week and he will help me with some modifications for my knees and shoulders.
    • Cardio - one of the machines
    • Abs - taking that course on Friday
    • TRX, barbells and some specific weight machines

But that's me. I suggest you talk to a pro about you.
  • jogetsgains
    jogetsgains Posts: 341 Member
    Options

I am not @jlsmith4439 but I have a suggestion base on my experience...

I sat down with a trainer and told him my realistic goals and on what schedule I am likely to actually come in; it's very important to be straight up. For me, it's stay fit and trim when I am not doing enough outdoor activities and maybe get a little more definition in my abs. But I am only going to make it in 3 times a week for an hour each time. This coming week, most of my time will be in group training.

He showed me a little on the TRX and I am taking a small group TRX basics training class from him this coming week. I was sold enough on that just from the intro that I ordered a TRX knock off and will do some of that at home, which will help push up my exercise time.

I am going to mix and match 30 minutes routines.
    • A standard circuit training done in a special area where everyone has to move on at the same pace in the same order. I am also doing a small group training on that this coming week and he will help me with some modifications for my knees and shoulders.
    • Cardio - one of the machines
    • Abs - taking that course on Friday
    • TRX, barbells and some specific weight machines

But that's me. I suggest you talk to a pro about you.

Thanks!
    I was just asking because jlsmith4439 was the original poster. The one who actually posed the question.
    Good advise tho
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Def no gym. Just terrible people in there. I would get a home gym and start running outside.

Wow. Nice stereotyping...
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    Def no gym. Just terrible people in there. I would get a home gym and start running outside.

I agree I’d much prefer to workout at home just because I’ve had annoying experiences at the gym. I bought and elliptical and a treadmill- I get much better workouts at home.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I just switched gyms from the Y to Anytime, solely based on location. I might miss the pool but have not been swimming.

I've had one conversation in the gym so far. Guy asked about my earbuds. I'm not lifting heavy but don't notice any mean looks because of it. I'm there at ~5:45 am, so I can get access to the squat rack fine (was an issue at the Y) and pretty much just left alone.

It all becomes a personal choice and what works best for the person.

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    I have a free gym membership but I don't go to the gym, except to use the steam room and sauna, because I have everything I need to use to workout at home.