But I was thin all my life - how did this happen?

Options
Hi guys,

I'm almost 40 years old with a 7 year old son.

I weighed 45kg all my life up until about 5 years ago - since then I have been in a steady downward spiral. I think the trigger was that I finally quit smoking for good, after years of on again, off again quitting.

I tried to lose weight when I was at 70kg, but I didn't have any success so I gave up. Next thing I knew I was at 80kg. I can't keep going in that direction.

I have been trying really hard for about 4 weeks and I got down to 78.5 two weeks ago, but I got on the scales yesterday and was up to 81. Today it was 82.3. I can't understand why.

I'm looking for people to help me keep going now that my commitment is wavering. It would be even better if I could find some parents who work long hours and feel bad about not spending enough time with their kids.

My approach at the moment is to eat less than 1400 calories per day. I also go on a fast walk at lunchtime to burn 80 calories, plus I play on the trampoline with my son for about an hour to burn another 150.

Does anyone want to join up with me or help me out?

Replies

• mmnv79
    mmnv79 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Someone shared this article the other day. I think it's pretty good: The Weird and Highly Annoying World of Scale Weight and Fluctuations

I wouldn't weight myself everyday, because of what is mentioned in that article regarding water fluctuations, etc. I weight myself every Monday morning. I have an ordinary electronic scale. Also, I go to a place to get the % fat, muscle, etc. every three months, and measure myself + take pics for comparison every month.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    weighing every day should only be used to track your fluctuations. more like a data collecting tool. I sometimes do that for a few months to see what's going on using Happy Scales. It brings up some interesting patterns like when I start to bloat before period and I have this one day just before I start bloating where my weight PLUMMETS like "OMG I lost a whole kilo overnight!" kind of thing. So yeah, I use it in conjunction with my iPeriod app to note things like when I'm on Ravenous Beast mode (about a week before period I feel like an empty hole in the stomach that can't be filled), moods, etc and fluctuations. but my actual weigh-in weight i only log once a week in MFP. The trend graph in Happy Scales is pretty neat too.

I know what you mean re parenting - I work all day and leave my kid at before and after care at school and yes, I wish I didn't have to do that every day and could you know - actually see her more, but the rent must be paid. I'm 42 my daughter is 7.

can't really say much re the weight loss apart from what has been said above re logging properly and so on. But dont give up!

:)

Slow and steady - it will happen! it took me a whole bloody YEAR to lose like 4-5 kilos. Seriously. Now I lose a lot easier but when I started, far out... struggletown.
  • mmnv79
    mmnv79 Posts: 538 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I have lost 14 kg. since January. I started logging and was loosing about 0.5kg a week. Then I stopped logging for a while because I took ill, was in and out of the hospital, and had surgery. I've been logging now for the past four weeks and so far so good. I have a Fitbit and I try do a minimum of 7K steps everyday, plus 3-5 workouts/week at home watching videos from Youtube. Must say, I'm not very strict logging calories... I am when I am adding something calorific, like peanut butter, salad cream, etc. but I'm not when logging lettuces, cherry tomatoes and stuff like that. It's something that I'm going to have to improve, as a few calories can make the difference once I'm closer to reach my goal. Again I'm loosing about 0.5kg a week, some weeks more while other weeks a bit less. I'm 165cm and 79.8kg. now. Feel free to add me, my diary is open and I tend to pre-log the day before.
  • Cartagenita
    Cartagenita Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    brook1888 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm almost 40 years old with a 7 year old son.

I weighed 45kg all my life up until about 5 years ago - since then I have been in a steady downward spiral. I think the trigger was that I finally quit smoking for good, after years of on again, off again quitting.

I tried to lose weight when I was at 70kg, but I didn't have any success so I gave up. Next thing I knew I was at 80kg. I can't keep going in that direction.

I have been trying really hard for about 4 weeks and I got down to 78.5 two weeks ago, but I got on the scales yesterday and was up to 81. Today it was 82.3. I can't understand why.

I'm looking for people to help me keep going now that my commitment is wavering. It would be even better if I could find some parents who work long hours and feel bad about not spending enough time with their kids.

My approach at the moment is to eat less than 1400 calories per day. I also go on a fast walk at lunchtime to burn 80 calories, plus I play on the trampoline with my son for about an hour to burn another 150.

Does anyone want to join up with me or help me out?

I’ll help you! If you eat a ton of veggies & fruits, they’re ñow in calorie but they fill u up due to the high content of fiber . I’ll add you!