What is the truth?

Options
2»

Replies

• 4Pop
    4Pop Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Tacklewasher- your reply was extremely helpful in understanding how to work the calories!
    I do like having a cheat day- a day I can have a glass of wine and an indulgent meal 😊

I've never quite understood the term "cheat day". Either you're eating within your limits, regardless of the type foods, or you're not. There's no "cheating", other than oneself.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Thank you Ann & Kami.... I really appreciate your guidance!
    I was just looking through the recipes thread- pics of meals people cooked and was really surprised at the variety and so appetizing looking! I’m thinking they must work out a lot to be able to eat like that! 😊. I mean .... Mac n cheese ... pork chops..... a full plate of good food-
    I searched vegetable pizza slice w cheese and 1 slice is about 350 calories....X 2 plus a salad.... at least 1/2 my 1200 calories 😳
    Again..... a lot of sweat to earn that- lol

And as pointed out above - it is likely that you don't need to go as low as 1200 in order to lose. You are already at a healthy weight, you have about 10 lbs that you'd like to lose, you should be aiming for 0.5 lbs/week rate of loss, and that is a NET goal, so that when you do exercise, you would eat even more.

You seem to have some misconceptions around diet and weight loss - and I'm concerned by your statements that rather than eating something "unhealthy" you'd rather just stick with 700 calories in a day. THAT is unhealthy, far more so, than eating a pork chop and mac n cheese.

Context and dosage matter - you can eat a varied, balanced, nutrient dense diet that is satiating and enjoyable, at a calorie appropriate level for you goals.

I'm 5'2 and in maintenance at 118 lbs, I lost the majority of my weight (~35 lbs) eating b/w 1600-1900 calories/day. I eat things like pizza, bread, fast food, and sweets on a regular basis. There is nothing wrong with these foods, in moderation. And they really aren't that hard to fit into a reasonable calorie goal - and I'm not sure that 1200 calories is reasonable for you.

Indeed! All of this ^^^
  • evergreenlakegirl
    evergreenlakegirl Posts: 89 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    being that you are already at a healthy weight for your weight - you might want to look at body recomposition in addition to just focusing on losing weight - recomp is a slower process where you focus on losing body fat while gaining muscle
    I’m meeting with a personal trainer tomorrow 😊
    I didn’t mention that I’m 59 years old and quite out of shape physically. I’m only about 10 pounds heavier than when I was younger- but not tone and have areas of fat 😛 I’m hoping that a trainer can help me focus on toning and strengthening.
    It’s depressing to see how your body ages
    Collectingblues & jellyroll- thanks for the insights.... I never had to think about diet and exercise when I was younger- I could eat anything and stay trim.... I was never a fitness person but I did move more and found exercise in other activities
  • evergreenlakegirl
    Options
    So basically, PAV, get off the couch! haha.....
    WinoGelato- When I registered with MFP, it gave me a 1200 calorie goal in order to get from 128.6 to 118. I guess I need to play with the food to understand how to fit in a cheeseburger, pizza, or other of my likes (in moderation). I have seen some weight loss (2.5lbs) since starting in the beginning of September. This week it looks like .5 lbs...(which I'm told is what to expect). Based on MFP, I should be close to my goal in 5 weeks.... B) ....then I can continue to work on maintanence, strengthening and toning. That's my plan anyway. ;)
  • evergreenlakegirl
    edited September 2018
    Options
    WinoGelato- now I see how how I set up my MFP wasn’t realistic.... .5 lbs makes more sense and seems to be how my body is reacting to the change in my diet. When I complete my daily diary- MFP says I should weigh 122/123 lbs in five weeks Does this mean from when I started? This means I should reach that # by 10/18- I don’t think I’ll lose 4 pounds in 3 weeks- so .5 lbs seems more like it-

Ann- your post was truly inspiring.... thank you!

DoubleUbea- yes.... I can see how the listings on MFP can be off... if I choose a meatball for instance, how would it know if it was a 1” ball or a 2” ball? 🙄. Definitely the #’s can be way off

4Pop- a “cheat day” for me means I can have a food I’ve completely avoided since I started here.... like ice cream or onion rings with my meal. I have indulged in these foods to excess which has led me here. I was eating without thinking

Thank you all for your guidance and advise-much appreciated!
    This is all new territory for me
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    The predictive five week weight is based on the your last entered weight. If you went back and completed previous entries again it would base it on your current (last entered) weight.

Don't take the five week prediction too seriously, there are too many factors to make an accurate prediction five weeks out.
    Completing the day doesn't serve any purpose except for giving you that prediction. Some people find it helpful, some people find it discouraging.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/42632344#Comment_42632344
  • evergreenlakegirl
    edited September 2018
    Options
    DoubleUbea- now that ^^was an eye-opening thread! I suppose I’ll:
    Weigh & Log my food for my own awareness
    Exercise
    And look for positive change 😊
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    DoubleUbea- now that ^^was an eye-opening thread! I suppose I’ll:
    Weigh & Log my food for my own awareness
    Exercise
    And look for positive change 😊

Weigh and log your food, track your exercise and eat the calories back, because it is the single best way to understand the fundamental energy balance: calories in, calories out. Your weight is always governed by this concept and a mathematical formula, whether you are tracking or not. For many of us, we’ve found incredible peace of mind and flexibility with that knowledge and awareness. It doesn’t do much matter what the weight predictor says, it’s a silly concept since who eats exactly the same every day? But tracking, weighing, monitoring your own weight and adjusting accordingly, these are habits that translate to long term success in managing your weight. Even if you decide to stop logging after you’ve reached maintenance, the concept of CICO still applies.