What is the truth?

Options
Background: I've just started with MFP and have a goal of loosing 10 pounds. Although this doesn't seem like much- it has always been difficult to loose that. I'm 5'3" and started at 128.8. In two weeks I'm down to 126.6. My calorie goal is 1200 because you can't have less than that.
That isn't difficult to maintain, if fact, it is difficult to reach since most of my eating was carbs and simple sugars.
Ok....so truth?....
It doesn't matter what you eat as long as I'm below 1200? (I'm talking weight loss, not nutrition)
Water is important. ---Why?
As long as I maintain the 1200 calories per day, I'll loose weight?
Exercise doesn't help to loose weight- just to allow for more calories to eat?
Can someone please point out the truth in these points.....as I read on the boards, I question these things.
Tnx

Replies

• evergreenlakegirl
    Options
    Thank you very much Gary- lots to learn 😊
  • evergreenlakegirl
    evergreenlakegirl Posts: 89 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Thank you Kimi- I’ll try investigating why my logging may be off-.... I typically don’t eat a real breakfast- usually a reduced fat small yogurt- 90 calories.....I also don’t eat a typical dinner.... also low calories.....
    I usually burn about 200 exercise calories
    I’ll try to track better.... maybe knowing I can eat much more than I have been will help me realize I can afford to eat more
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
  • evergreenlakegirl
    Options
    I
    Nothing wrong with eating bread and cheese when you're hungry.
    I guess this is where I get confused..... I equate bread and cheese with weight in my belly....this is where I’m not sure about food choices
    Heck.... I LOVE pizza- could eat it everyday
    From what I understand, I can eat the pizza as long as it fits in my daily calories.
    Today I had pasta (1.5 C) with a meatball but that pasta really put a dent in my calories.... now I realize it wasn’t worth it- especially because I played cards with my friends and didn’t get to the gym 😳

• evergreenlakegirl
    Options
    Tacklewasher- your reply was extremely helpful in understanding how to work the calories!
    I do like having a cheat day- a day I can have a glass of wine and an indulgent meal 😊
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Tacklewasher- your reply was extremely helpful in understanding how to work the calories!
    I do like having a cheat day- a day I can have a glass of wine and an indulgent meal 😊

Many of us follow a weekly goal so some days we're over, some under but it all averages out over the week. I'm hungrier on lifting days and less so when I do cardio, so I eat my cardio calories on lifting days. Or, as Tackle said, bank some for a specific meal or indulgence.
  • evergreenlakegirl
    evergreenlakegirl Posts: 89 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Thank you Ann & Kami.... I really appreciate your guidance!
    I was just looking through the recipes thread- pics of meals people cooked and was really surprised at the variety and so appetizing looking! I’m thinking they must work out a lot to be able to eat like that! 😊. I mean .... Mac n cheese ... pork chops..... a full plate of good food-
    I searched vegetable pizza slice w cheese and 1 slice is about 350 calories....X 2 plus a salad.... at least 1/2 my 1200 calories 😳
    Again..... a lot of sweat to earn that- lol
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Thank you Ann & Kami.... I really appreciate your guidance!
    I was just looking through the recipes thread- pics of meals people cooked and was really surprised at the variety and so appetizing looking! I’m thinking they must work out a lot to be able to eat like that! 😊. I mean .... Mac n cheese ... pork chops..... a full plate of good food-
    I searched vegetable pizza slice w cheese and 1 slice is about 350 calories....X 2 plus a salad.... at least 1/2 my 1200 calories 😳
    Again..... a lot of sweat to earn that- lol

Or, just eat a little less of it. For me, unless I've had a really big workout day, I don't do two slices of pizza or a salad -- I stick with just one slice, but it has to be *good* pizza.

It's all about the choices you want to make. I prefer to be a little more active, and reduce my portion size -- but I'm also not a volume eater. I'm about your size, and being active -- not working out a lot, but at least an hour a day -- lets me lose quite decently on 1600 calories a day, and having smaller portion sizes lets me have food that tastes good.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    being that you are already at a healthy weight for your weight - you might want to look at body recomposition in addition to just focusing on losing weight - recomp is a slower process where you focus on losing body fat while gaining muscle