Fun size M&Ms not so fun when I go to log

Options
Was at a department meeting today during my lunch period. They had a big bowl of fun size M&Ms. I had never had the caramel or peanut butter M&Ms, so I tried both fun sizes --- would go ahead and log them before I went back to my classroom for lunch.

Yikes! At 90 calories each, those two fun sizes wound up replacing what would have been my 180 calorie Progresso soup.

Thank goodness I checked BEFORE making the soup. Yes.... I have very small lunches, so I can have a nice filling dinner at night.

Well, gonna avoid those fun-sizes in the future.

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    The fun-sizes are certainly higher than expected for how small they are! We had the fun size candy bars at work (milky way, snickers, etc) and I could definitely eat a chunk out of my calories with just a couple pieces. I do like them, though, because they are a good balance between a full-size, which is too much, and a mini-size, which is too small to feel satisfying.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    There is a candy dish (usually has fun size candy bars) on a small table in the center of the work area I share with 8 people. The dish was empty and one of the managers came by and dumped some candy in it. A guy and girl I work with literally jumped up and dove at the dish trying to get there first (this is in an office of professionals working for a multi-billion$ company). I like both of them, but it really looked like someone threw a steak between a couple dogs.

I've eaten maybe 5 pieces of candy from the dish in the 2 months it's been there. Thought I'd be a good sport and bought $10 worth of Halloween fun size candy to stock it. Took 1/2 of it one day and it was gone. Took the other 1/2 the next day, that was gone. Since I'm right next to the table, I see several people making daily double digit visits to the dish.

I'm personally done contributing.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    Yeah that’s crazy, and those portions are not even satisfying, it’s just a tease ! I’d rather just make room in my calorie allowance and have full size.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,740 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Wow! I usually expect fun size packs to be anywhere from 45 (very few) to 50 or 60 Cal (most common). Double checked your 90 and was surprised to find it was correct!!!

Just a quick note that it is sometimes OK to go over and still eat normally so as to prevent leaving yourself too hungry and then over-eating on the re-bound or making thing too difficult.

Going over by 200 Cal once or twice might slightly delay, but will not permanently derail or stop weight loss. Giving up because weight loss is too difficult on the other hand...

I eat a lot of fun size and I disagree. I think 80-90 is the most common. That includes Snickers, Almond Joy, Baby Ruth, Milky Way, Oreo candy bars (those new sugar bombs), M&Ms. 3 Musketeers, etc. There are bite size and miniatures in some brands that are smaller and fun size York patties are only 50. But if you aren't sure and it is fun size, figure on it being about 85.

I had 9 to 15 gram Halloween candy in mind! Obviously my "fun" sizing is off :blush:
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Wow! I usually expect fun size packs to be anywhere from 45 (very few) to 50 or 60 Cal (most common). Double checked your 90 and was surprised to find it was correct!!!

Just a quick note that it is sometimes OK to go over and still eat normally so as to prevent leaving yourself too hungry and then over-eating on the re-bound or making thing too difficult.

Going over by 200 Cal once or twice might slightly delay, but will not permanently derail or stop weight loss. Giving up because weight loss is too difficult on the other hand...

I eat a lot of fun size and I disagree. I think 80-90 is the most common. That includes Snickers, Almond Joy, Baby Ruth, Milky Way, Oreo candy bars (those new sugar bombs), M&Ms. 3 Musketeers, etc. There are bite size and miniatures in some brands that are smaller and fun size York patties are only 50. But if you aren't sure and it is fun size, figure on it being about 85.

I had 9 to 15 gram Halloween candy in mind! Obviously my "fun" sizing is off :blush:

Some people just don't know how to have fun. ;)

I like having some of those smaller ones around also, though I can end up with more calories instead of less. The Baby Ruth minis are 52 calories which is a savings of about 30 calories from the fun size except I often end up eating 2 instead of 1.

I am the carb king; I know my candy. :smiley: I am making it fit; finally getting pretty settled in to keep close to the middle of my maintenance range.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I find most snack sized bars are around 100 cals. Usually have at least one of those a day to get my choccie hit. If we know the calories, we can plan for them.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    Yeah that’s crazy, and those portions are not even satisfying, it’s just a tease ! I’d rather just make room in my calorie allowance and have full size.

I think it depends on the person who is eating them. There are things that I have found that a single bite or very few bites are enough. Most sweets are on that list. I wouldn't want the hassle of a full-sized Snickers bar for instance because it has to be wrapped back up for when I want another bite.

I have seen someone else mention that there is science to back up that the first taste or two of anything is the strongest. I have never looked into it personally. There are things that I want a volume to satisfy me too like a juicy steak. I have just learned I don't need quantity on everything and I am sure it varies from person to person. I am not sure I can ever stress this enough but I think experimentation is a huge part of adjusting the long term aspects of a lifestyle. I am positive that learning which foods I can nibble on and be happy will serve me long after the excess weight is gone.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options

9-15g is anywhere from 36 to 135 calories when you figure a g of carbs is 4 calories and a g of fat is 9

Assuming most candies are sugar and fat, you are somewhere in the range of 9*4 to 15*9 or 36-135 calories in a treat sized as you describe.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

9-15g is anywhere from 36 to 135 calories when you figure a g of carbs is 4 calories and a g of fat is 9

Assuming most candies are sugar and fat, you are somewhere in the range of 9*4 to 15*9 or 36-135 calories in a treat sized as you describe.

But they're usually lower than that because it's not pure sugar or fat unless we're talking some types of hard candy. You would also need to take into account moisture. I found that the highest calorie typical snack of that kind, at least of the things I've eaten, is very dark chocolate at 60 calories per 10 gram square.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

but that implies that 9g of candy is equal to 9g of carbs - and that isn't necessarily the case