My overnight oats are bad

Options
I love oatmeal, and eat it all the time, but I cook it. I've tried following overnight oatmeal recipes multiple times now and everyday they just taste bland and have the consistency of just raw wet oats. Is that what its supposed to be? Should I not expect the same consistency as warm oatmeal?

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    i found the consistency wasn't not the same. i liked the thickness though.. for lack of taste that is more related to what you are putting in there with the oats.

i don't make them often.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    No, it's not the same consistency. I use a lot more yogurt and a lot less milk than the recipes I've seen. I stir in some of my apple butter because I have a lot of it right now, so mine doesn't taste bland to me.

If you love your cooked oatmeal, do it!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    What did you make it with?

I do a 110g of yogurt, 20g of rolled oats, and 11g of peanut butter. Sometimes I'll put in some frozen berries or jam.

I've seen different people call different things overnight oats. If you are just mixing milk and oats, then I would think it wouldn't have much taste and would be wet and mushy.
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    They look nice, but I don't understand the point of eating a non cooked grain. Oatmeal is wonderful cooked, raw not so much. Continue to make this and you may just continue to waste oats, because you already made it several times and just don't like it.

Enjoy your food, don't try and make yourself like something you don't, I try new techniques, foods and styles of cooking/preparing but if it doesn't prove worthwhile I move along.

Best to you🍲🥄
  • kimny72
    Options
    sexysizeme wrote: »
    They look nice, but I don't understand the point of eating a non cooked grain. Oatmeal is wonderful cooked, raw not so much. Continue to make this and you may just continue to waste oats, because you already made it several times and just don't like it.

Enjoy your food, don't try and make yourself like something you don't, I try new techniques, foods and styles of cooking/preparing but if it doesn't prove worthwhile I move along.

Best to you🍲🥄

ITA there is no reason to force it if you don't like something.
    Just wanted to add, overnight oats should not at all be like eating raw oats. The oats absorb liquid from whatever you mix them with and plump up and soften. I also personally think the effect is greater when using yogurt as the bacteria works on them as well.
  • antsosbo
    antsosbo Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I just following recipes I find, I usually put in some frozen fruit and almond milk. But people tout the overnight oats so much that I just kept thinking, surely I'm doing something wrong.
  • antsosbo
    antsosbo Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Best to you🍲🥄

Just wanted to add, overnight oats should not at all be like eating raw oats. The oats absorb liquid from whatever you mix them with and plump up and soften. I also personally think the effect is greater when using yogurt as the bacteria works on them as well.

See! thats what i'm saying though. They aren't softening and plumping. They are chewy wet oats.
  • hmkiesel
    hmkiesel Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I always microwave mine in the morning for 1-2 minutes. I make them overnight for convenience and heat them up when I get to work. I wouldn't want to eat cold uncooked oats either
  • kimny72
    Options
    antsosbo wrote: »

Best to you🍲🥄

See! thats what i'm saying though. They aren't softening and plumping. They are chewy wet oats.

If you really want to try it again, try it with yogurt. Otherwise, maybe just chalk it up to one of those things you just don't get :lol:
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Best to you🍲🥄

maybe try making them according to the recipe with no variations - and then you can start tweaking (you said above that you use more yogurt and less milk)
  • sammiw38
    sammiw38 Posts: 10 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I've always hated the texture/taste of overnight oats but I found a vanilla-strawberry that I really am liking. It uses less milk so they are more creamy than mushy. Also, the type of oats you use makes a difference. Instant or quick oats will get mushy fast.

https://jennabraddock.com/strawberry-vanilla-overnight-oats/
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal, and eat it all the time, but I cook it. I've tried following overnight oatmeal recipes multiple times now and everyday they just taste bland and have the consistency of just raw wet oats. Is that what its supposed to be? Should I not expect the same consistency as warm oatmeal?

I don't like overnight oats either. Why bother when they are so good freshly cooked and still warm. 1/2 cup (40 grams) oats, 1 cup water and 2 minutes in the microwave. Voila' ! I add a little sweetener and cinnamon and I am good.
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I've tried the Quaker Oats overnight oats, but haven't been brave enough to try my own. I see good looking recipes but I'm chicken.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    i use the quick oats not the rolled. makes a difference with texture.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I have this issue too. I use steel cut oats and do an overnight slowcooker recipe instead so that they're nice and warm when I wake up. So the texture is fine but ugh why can't I find one with good flavour. Theyre so bland, I always end up adding honey or brown sugar AND vanilla soymilk and even then don't really enjoy it.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I tried overnight oats several times and I'm just not a fan. I can eat them if it's just oats and milk and brown sugar but you're right the oats just don't have the right consistency. They're more chewy or something. I tried adding in yogurt and thought that was just plain disgusting. So I gave up on it.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Also not a fan of overnight oats. I make large batches of steel cut oats in my instant pot and flavor it how I like it. I can still grab/go/heat oats for breakfast and I enjoy eating it.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    They definitely have a different texture and flavor profile than cooked oats. You may just not like them.

I use steel cut oats with milk, vanilla yogurt, and little brown sugar or honey. I also typically add cinnamon, a fruit such as fresh apple slices or dried cherries, and nuts like pecans or slivered almonds.

I also really like this recipe with some personal adaptations http://www.runningwithspoons.com/2015/11/07/hot-chocolate-breakfast-smoothie/
    My adjustments to it are: honey instead of maple syrup, add cinnamon, regular milk rather than almond milk, pecans sometimes, no peanut butter and rarely chocolate chips. I will say it tastes much better when warmed like the recipe calls for. It's a kind of weird cold.

sammiw38 wrote: »
    I've always hated the texture/taste of overnight oats but I found a vanilla-strawberry that I really am liking. It uses less milk so they are more creamy than mushy. Also, the type of oats you use makes a difference. Instant or quick oats will get mushy fast.

https://jennabraddock.com/strawberry-vanilla-overnight-oats/

That sounds delicious!
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

Personally, if it's the rolled-type oats, especially "quick oats", I prefer them as they are immediately after adding milk (and splenda), rather than once they've sat and become soggy.
  • lalee115
    lalee115 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I tried overnight oats once. I hate regular oatmeal (consistency, ugh!) but love the way it smells when it has cinnamon and yumminess mixed in and WISH I could love it. So I tried the overnight thing because I was told it isn't the same. It isn't; I actually liked them. However, I was STARVING about an hour and a half after I ate them. :(