Protein Advice

2»

Replies

• cyncm
    cyncm Posts: 33 Member
    I tried to look at your diary but the link took me to my own diary...

I am interested in your post because I have been doing 40-30-30 too. It's my magic macro formula for losing. When I upped my calories by 200/day recently to get into maintenance I started finding I was constipated sometimes but never a big deal as my morning coffee always takes care of that. But it is harder to eat enouh protein without blowing my carb # and I'm at 1450 cal/day so I don't know how you can manage it! I aim for at least 30g protein for breakfast and lunch, adding an ounce of low fat cheese to make it up for egg salad or ham sandwich days. Have you discovered Little Big Bread? It's thinner like Weight Watchers bread so a sandwich is like one slice but it's grainier and doesn't sog.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    edited September 2018
    Personally, I don’t find macro percentages as helpful as macro minimums (in grams). I feel full if I meet my minimums, and that can encompass a pretty broad range of percentages. Here is a general guideline for minimums. Try it and adjust based on how you feel.

Protein minimum: 1g per pound LBM (if BF% unknown, use 0.8g per pound goal weight)
    ***applies when eating in a deficit. Half that protein adequate for muscle sparing in maintenance or surplus.
    Fat minimum: 0.35g per pound body weight
    Fiber minimum: 25g for women, 30g for men

E.g. I feel full if I get 25g fiber, 50g fat & 100g protein. It’s technically a little more fat and protein than I NEED for hormone synthesis and muscle sparing (especially in a surplus), but I feel good with this whether I’m in a surplus, maintenance or deficit. If I’m in a steep deficit, my percentages are pretty close to 34/33/33. In a slight surplus, it can vary widely.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    cyncm wrote: »
    I tried to look at your diary but the link took me to my own diary...

I am interested in your post because I have been doing 40-30-30 too. It's my magic macro formula for losing. When I upped my calories by 200/day recently to get into maintenance I started finding I was constipated sometimes but never a big deal as my morning coffee always takes care of that. But it is harder to eat enouh protein without blowing my carb # and I'm at 1450 cal/day so I don't know how you can manage it! I aim for at least 30g protein for breakfast and lunch, adding an ounce of low fat cheese to make it up for egg salad or ham sandwich days. Have you discovered Little Big Bread? It's thinner like Weight Watchers bread so a sandwich is like one slice but it's grainier and doesn't sog.

Your protein number is a higher priority than your carb number. The hierarchy is 1. Protein 2. Fat 3. Carbs.