Help me run 3 miles

Options
I have a love hate relationship with running. I have been running on and off for about 8 years. When I first started I could just go and run 3 miles. It was not easy , because I did not run much but I could pretty much get it done. Over the years I have had periods when I ran often and times when I did not run for months.

I decided a couple months ago to run 3 to 4 times a week so that I can run 3 miles again. It seems no matter what I do I cannot get there. I can't seem to make it the whole 3 miles. If I run on a treadmill I can do it every time.

Off the treadmill I can run about a mile and a half without stopping and then run walk to get 3 miles. I don't know if I am just not pushing myself enough or if at age 45 I have to add more than following one of those beginner training programs.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated?

Replies

• tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Seconded for the couch to 5k C25K app, extremely good and well structured
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I posted a link to this video the other day, 38 runners give advice on how to start running.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10697632/your-first-5k-race

(I am not a runner, but I do see this type of topic come up often on MFP)
  • lesstjm
    lesstjm Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    What you are saying is making sense. I think that when I run I try to go faster because I am nervous I will not finish. I will try to slow down and see what happens
  • eatyogarun
    eatyogarun Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I am not a big fan of C25K either. I feel like it gets you running for 30 minutes, but that's not necessarily 3 miles. I found this program that I think is great because it focuses on distance, not time. I am working on the walking still but if you're already running, it might be a good plan for you to get to that 3 mile mark.

A CONSERVATIVE PLAN FOR THOSE MAKING THE TRANSITION FROM WALKING TO RUNNING
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    The ground outside is uneven and not flat; it takes more work than a treadmill. Build up to longer distances on the treadmill or gradually add an incline, and incorporate some resistance training as well. You’ll get there! 🙂
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I also was not a fan of the C25K and I tried just going out and running, and then adding on a couple minutes when I felt ready. I could run about 17 minute straight but found it was hard to increase my time, so I bit the bullet and went back to C25k starting at week 4.
  • mbosco88m
    mbosco88m Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    C25k program worked great for me. I will use it whenever I have a long break from running to get my joint and muscles back in running form with minimal injury risk. Depending on where I'm at over all, I start anywhere from week1 to week 3 in the program and go from there.
  • magpie0829
    magpie0829 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I also suggest that you are most likely running a lot faster outside then you are on the treadmill. Also, when you are on the treadmill your elevation doesn't change, while outside you are most likely running up and down hills.
    Maybe invest in a Garmin or a similar device that you can look at while you run to keep a steady comfortable pace.

But do you actually enjoy running or do you do it just for the exercise? If, like me, you actually like running once you get past that start-up phase then keep going. If you are just doing it for exercise but despise every moment, I would try and find another way that you actually like to get your cardio in.
  • lesstjm
    Options
    Do I like running? Yes and No. I like that I can just go outside my door and get a good workout in 30 mins. The part I do not like is obviously I am not in great shape so it is very hard and I do get kind of bored sometimes while running.
  • Justin741
    Justin741 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k I use the Run Double App on Android
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I always recommend beginners run at the end of their route, not the beginning. Start by walking then run. Incrementally back up your run start until you are running the whole distance. This has a few benefits:

1. Your muscles and joints are warmed up
    2. It is easier to keep running when the finish line is closer.
    3. You get to say 'I did it', instead of 'I almost did it'!
  • slossia
    slossia Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Why not walk? You can walk twice as much probably and that would even burn more calories! I’m 65 and sometimes get in 18 to 19 miles and when I was much younger I would only be able to run 4 or 5
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Slow down, but don't stop.
  • lesstjm
    Options
    After work I will try to just run a slowww 3 miles. If that does not work then I will try the run/walk tomorrow. Thanks for all your input
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I'd vote for walking or couch 2 5k or you can also just run slower. Run slow enough to be able to carry a conversation. See how long you can do that.