How to incorporate protein powder

Options
Hi!

I'm trying to increase my protein intake with powder, but I don't like the consistency of shakes. I tried mixing some into Greek yogurt and found it disgusting. I'll try some in my oatmeal today to see if I like it.

What else quick and easy can I do with protein powder?

Thanks!

Replies

• Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    You can make a shake with almond milk, blend in blender with fruit & ice. The Greek yogurt works well if it’s blended with fruit. I’m not a fan of adding it to yogurt or oatmeal.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    What sort of protein powder are you using? I use organic whey protein powder and it blends really well with frozen bananas and milk. It’s a really delicious shake. Maybe you’re using a chalky protein powder? You could try pancakes or homemade protein bars?
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    i use it to make my own protein bars. I once tried it in my steel cut oats and it wasn't terrific.

good in smoothies but i rarely have those.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    protein pancakes and protein ice cream!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I like to make protein coffees. The protein powder I currently have I hate, but I can hide the flavor in my coffee to some extent. I am definitely going to buy the new Pumpkin Spice Latte flavor from 1st Phorm when I run out of what I have. I love the taste of 1st Phorm powders.

You can do lots.
    T-Nation has a lot of recipes (google Tnation protein recipes).

Daily burn has a list of recipes:
    https://dailyburn.com/life/recipes/protein-powder-recipes/
    ***I definitely want to try some of these.***

Here’s another list of recipes with protein powder:
    https://www.mensjournal.com/food-drink/12-great-uses-for-protein-powder/7-protein-fruit-dip/
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    What brand are you using?

Mine mixes well and tastes fine with just water.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I gave up on it. I've yet to find a powder that doesn't have an annoying aftertaste, and it never fills me up for the calories.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    What's your protein powder / liquid ratio and how are you blending it? What brand of PP are you using?

I'm happiest with PP in smoothies. Not crazy about it in cooking, but I keep trying.

I add water to the coffee smoothie to bring it to about 20 ounces, and cold tea to the green smoothie for 24 ounces. That one I make in my food processor or blender. I have a shaker cup with a ball.

97030c298d26a7e6f59578b4cf07eec3.png

I have a shaker cup with a ball, like this only 24 oz instead of 28.

https://www.iherb.com/pr/iHerb-Goods-Blender-Bottle-with-Blender-Ball-Green-28-oz/62678
  • behjr71
    behjr71 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I saw a recipe for protein jello shots. 1 box of SF Jello any flavor and 5 scoops of protein powder. Yields 14 2oz cups each has 12.5 grams protein. I havent tried this yet
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    If you want it yogurt you should try a different one.

I have tried two in yogurt, one mixes better with yogurt than it does with liquid (integrated supplements whey isolate) and tastes fantastic. The other (whey protein, not isolate, forget the brand) clumped up and was disgusting.

I like mine mixed with cashew milk really well. Blended shakes with fruit are fantastic.

On the other hand, the integrated supplements one that is so good in yogurt does NOT do well in coffee.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Just protein powder and greek yogurt is not good. But when I add frozen berries, let them thaw, and the fruit juice adds some liquid, then it's good. Lemon meringue protein powder and frozen raspberries is my favorite.

With oatmeal, make sure you mix your PP with liquid before you add it to the oatmeal or it will clump. Same if you are adding it to hot coffee. I mix my PP with almond milk, then use that liquid to mix with the oatmeal.

Protein pancakes, especially with Pumpkin Pie protein powder and pecans?!? Oh, man!

@crazyravr has a great protein cheesecake recipe, too.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    shaf238 wrote: »
    What brand are you using?

Mine mixes well and tastes fine with just water.

Not sure on the brand now, I'll check when I get home.

As for mixing with water or making smoothies I just don't like them, regardless if they contain protein powder or not. I really only prefer clear beverages, unless it's red wine lol
  • funjen1972
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll try a few more options mentioned above and see if I can find something I really like. If not, I have a slightly used container of protein powder for some needy MFPer. Any takers????

I can always return to the usual higher protein foods like Greek yogurt and chicken breast.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I like my cookies & cream flavored protein powder in kefir with ice & water shake. I also like using peanut powder in my yogurt to get better flavor and protein.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I just mix it with milk and it's like chocolate milk. I have that for my late breakfast. Although the brand does matter. I tried a couple other brands and they were disgusting.
  • funjen1972
    Options
    behjr71 wrote: »
    I saw a recipe for protein jello shots. 1 box of SF Jello any flavor and 5 scoops of protein powder. Yields 14 2oz cups each has 12.5 grams protein. I havent tried this yet

You forgot the vodka in the recipe 😁
  • saires_au
    saires_au Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Depends on the brand. I’m currently using and enjoying true protein I have it
    Crushed ice water and protein powder in blender
    Mango smoothie, 125ml water and frozen mango and pp
    Mixed with Greek yoghurt (delicious but higher calories)
    100ml skim milk & 100ml water and pp
    Added to my regular pancake recipe

I find I much prefer the consistency of shakes mixed in a blender than a shaker cup and like ice or frozen fruit to thicken them
  • Zablamba
    Zablamba Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have it as a breakfast smoothie: 1 banana, 1 scoop protein powder (chocolate flavored), 1/2 cup blueberries, 1 tbsp chia seeds and 1 cup almond milk. It's absolutely goddamn delicious and I can't imagine anyone disliking it! Lol
  • funjen1972
    Options
    Zablamba wrote: »
    I have it as a breakfast smoothie: 1 banana, 1 scoop protein powder (chocolate flavored), 1/2 cup blueberries, 1 tbsp chia seeds and 1 cup almond milk. It's absolutely goddamn delicious and I can't imagine anyone disliking it! Lol

Lol It's a consitancy thing for me. Liquid should be like water and solids no thinner than yogurt. I can't do anything in-between - I don't even like the consistency of milk.

Funny, I never thought I was picky until I started analyzing this!
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I mix chocolate protein powder with water then add it to iced coffee for a protein mocha.