Anyone ever had breast reduction surgery after weight loss.

Options
I don't think its gynomastea(sp) but after losing a substantial amount of weight, thanks MFP, I have floppy orange in the sock breasts. I don't like it!
Anyone ever had the surgery to lop off loose skin after wight loss?
Was it worth it?
If you had to pay for it(elective) was it supper expensive, like over 10k?
Any information or links anyone wants to share would make me super grateful.

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I had my breast reduction pre-weight loss, but since you haven't had any answers yet I'll jump in with a thought. If you are primarily dissatisfied with the sagging (and at this point I can relate), you can have a lift procedure, where the muscles and tendons that support the breasts are tightened and everything is pulled up. It's less radical than a reduction and doesn't leave the scarring that a reduction would. Just an alternative to think about - I wish you the best of luck whatever your decision :)
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    A lot of plastic surgeons offer no obligation free consultations, maybe you can research a few and get checked out and they can better answer any questions you might have. I had a consultation once about reduction not for sagginess but because they stayed full and heavy even after weight loss. The surgery just seemed too brutal for me so I didn’t go through with it. I was too scared of the possibility of loss of sensation and other possible complications, it’s not an easy surgery by any means and there’s a lot of things that could go wrong, definitely not a decision to be made lightly. I’ve learned to live with them and invested in some really nice supportive bras but might reconsider reduction in the future. Also take into consideration that they might improve some on their own as it can take 2+ years for the skin to recover from weight loss. Best of luck to you!

ETA ummm... not sure if OP is a man or a woman. I assumed woman but I could be mistaken as the iPhone app doesn’t show gender and ya can’t always go by the photo because people post all kinds of profile pix. I apologize if I got it wrong!!! :) but my advice is essentially the same if you are a dude. Find a reputable plastic surgeon that offers free consultations and get checked out.
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    A lot of plastic surgeons offer no obligation free consultations, maybe you can research a few and get checked out and they can better answer any questions you might have. I had a consultation once about reduction not for sagginess but because they stayed full and heavy even after weight loss. The surgery just seemed too brutal for me so I didn’t go through with it. I was too scared of the possibility of loss of sensation and other possible complications, it’s not an easy surgery by any means and there’s a lot of things that could go wrong, definitely not a decision to be made lightly. I’ve learned to live with them and invested in some really nice supportive bras but might reconsider reduction in the future. Also take into consideration that they might improve some on their own as it can take 2+ years for the skin to recover from weight loss. Best of luck to you!

ETA ummm... not sure if OP is a man or a woman. I assumed woman but I could be mistaken as the iPhone app doesn’t show gender and ya can’t always go by the photo because people post all kinds of profile pix. I apologize if I got it wrong!!! :) but my advice is essentially the same if you are a dude. Find a reputable plastic surgeon that offers free consultations and get checked out.
    FWIW, @BigTandthesquatters's profile says he's a man. I think this that means loss of sensation and other surgical risks might be less of a consideration, and body-image issues might be more of one. Supportive bras will be harder to find, too; although I believe there are some super-supportive 'A'-shirt-type things available for men.

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I didn't need surgery because they proportionally got smaller with the rest of me. I wouldn't mind having them, um, lifted though! They aren't quite where I remember them being the last time I was this size (in HS). :D
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone...
    1. yes male. So aesthetics mostly.
    2. there is a lot of information here that just a few of you provided I got some digging and research to do.

Love this community for its honesty, and user experience.

I was trying to find some useful info for you, but it looks like a lot of it is focused on gyno for men. Are you at your goal weight? If not, you may find that you are happier with the look as you get there. Skin takes longer to bounce back, and might still tighten up without surgery over the next couple years. I did find some interesting youtube videos when looking up skin removal surgery, but they are a bit graphic, so I'll leave that to you to search.
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Thanks everyone...
    1. yes male. So aesthetics mostly.
    2. there is a lot of information here that just a few of you provided I got some digging and research to do.

Love this community for its honesty, and user experience.

I was trying to find some useful info for you, but it looks like a lot of it is focused on gyno for men. Are you at your goal weight? If not, you may find that you are happier with the look as you get there. Skin takes longer to bounce back, and might still tighten up without surgery over the next couple years. I did find some interesting youtube videos when looking up skin removal surgery, but they are a bit graphic, so I'll leave that to you to search.

I've seen people around the boys say it's taken they're body about a year to have they're skin tighten. I'm not saying don't do the surgery, but you may want to give your body some time to tighten as @nutmegoreo suggests, if you haven't already. Plus, it will give you time to save money and really fine tune your maintenance skills. Good luck!
  • BigTandthesquatters
    BigTandthesquatters Posts: 151 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    OK maybe I am being to hasty and impatient. It's just I am down enough where clothes in my size are ACTUALLY in MY SIZE!!! If you know what I am saying? So it all about looks right now and maybe that's superficial and wrong but damn I am getting compliments and when I am at the gym people want my advice. I think about this as I am typing and I wonder .......I really am being conceited. Should change my name to Claire(if you get that reference you're awesome). Again thanks everyone.

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    OK maybe I am being to hasty and impatient. It's just I am down enough where clothes in my size are ACTUALLY in MY SIZE!!! If you know what I am saying? So it all about looks right now and maybe that's superficial and wrong but damn I am getting compliments and when I am at the gym people want my advice. I think about this as I am typing and I wonder .......I really am being conceited. Should change my name to Claire(if you get that reference you're awesome). Again thanks everyone.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to look a certain way :) This might be the perfect time to consult with a surgeon (as suggested above) to find out what your options are and get expert advice about timing and expectations.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I don't believe that wanting to improve your appearance is wrong at all. You worked darn hard to get where you are and you deserve to get it fixed if that's what you want. I would however do as suggested and see how much it tightens over time. I had a tummy tuck after my weight loss and it took me about 6 months to get in for my surgery so nothing wrong with going for a consultation and see what the doc thinks.