Gastric Band

Options
Hey guys. So yesterday (19/8/18) i had a gastric band fitted. Wanted one for five years to use as a tool for my weight loss and so happy i made the decision to go for it. To my fellow banders though; how long does this pain post? Ive been in agony since i woke from surgery and have needed fentanyl, morphine and tramadol. Also, what clear fluids and soups were you having in the first two weeks? Any advice would be appreciated. (Wrote this in my hospital bed debating whether to ask for more morphine).

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Check with your healthcare staff in the morning. Do they have you scheduled to be in a follow up support group after you get home and heal some?

Best of success and do follow the Way Of Eating they prepared for you to follow.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I had one a few years ago and had no pain. It was removed a year or two after due to complications.

Just realized you are still in hospital. Tell the nurses about how much pain you are in. This seems wrong to me based on my own experience.
  • SamJoStarrr
    SamJoStarrr Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hiya
    I had my band fitted on 16th July 2018 and my pain was minimal. The anesthetic took a couple of days to wear off and so I was fine until about day 4 where I was just sore. I only had paracetamol so sounds like you're having a bit of a rougher ride.

Where did you have your surgery?
    xxx
  • sweetcatGB
    sweetcatGB Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I had my surgery at dolan park in Birmingham, im not one week post op! Still a little tender but much better than previous days! Terrible wind pain in shoulder still. How have you managed so far with your band? Xx
  • SamJoStarrr
    Options
    Amazing. Thats where I had mine done. I had it with Mr Super. He really is the best at what he does.
    Ive lost 31lb so far. I had my first fill on 25.08.2018 of 4ml but I've not lost any weight since then so going back tonight for my second fill.

The wind pain goes away if you move around more, its agony getting up and down I know, but its worth it.
    I bought little pots of baby food and added a little salt which helped me make sure I got some nutrients at first because its quite uncomfortable to eat anything.

• sweetcatGB
    Options
    31Ib is amazing! You should be so proud! I'm 3 weeks into it now (2weeks pre op diet and 1week post op) and I've lost 16Ibs. I had Dr. Nijjar, he was pretty good too. What are the fills like? Do you get any restriction?

I've been living off soup, soup and yep you guessed it...more soup!
  • SamJoStarrr
    Options
    Haha, don't worry, you'll be on solids in no time.
    I lost 19lb on my liver reduction diet, so 12lb since the op.

Yeah, the hospital in general is really good. I know tonnes of people that have had the surgery now and no bad comments at all.
    The fills are easy. you get restriction immediately after, but then after it settles, you kinda get to know whether it was enough or not, in my case, I knew about a week later that I needed another fill but because I was flying out to Spain, they wouldn't do it until I was back so I booked in for tonight.

The fill itself, doesn't really hurt, its about the same pain as a blood test, once the needle is in, you can't feel anything, they wiggle the needle around for a little bit and then extract whatever fluid was put in it at the op, and then they push in however much they think that you will need.

Strangely the area where they inject doesn't heal for ages but its only a tiny little prick barely visible. They will most likely show you where your port is, and show you how to find it. Mr Super puts everyone's in the same place so its fascinating when they find it.
  • sweetcatGB
    Options
    I didn't have the best experience at the hospital (mainly due to the nurses) so i must be the exception. But my surgeon was great and my wounds look neat-ish.
    I already feel like i can eat for england again so i can't wait for my first fill! Ive not even great with needles throughout this whole experience (its strange because im normally ok) so im dreading it.
    Good luck tonight! Let me know how much saline they put in! Xx
  • SamJoStarrr
    Options
    sweetcatGB wrote: »
    I didn't have the best experience at the hospital (mainly due to the nurses) so i must be the exception. But my surgeon was great and my wounds look neat-ish.
    I already feel like i can eat for england again so i can't wait for my first fill! Ive not even great with needles throughout this whole experience (its strange because im normally ok) so im dreading it.
    Good luck tonight! Let me know how much saline they put in! Xx

I definitely will. I've inboxed you the other day too and added you as a friend so I will let you know how to goes.
    I was the first to have my operation at 8am in the morning and the day nurses were lovely. Steve espcially was just an absolute joy. But the evening nurses wern't too good. I wasn't offered anything to eat at all, just cranberry juice and I wasn't able to leave until 11pm because I couldn't pass urine as my bladder took too long to wake up so they just kept coming in threatening to have to put a catheta in so I was on the toilet for 10 hours solid just waiting to wee. It was really distressing but that's probably the only complaint I had with the hospital.
    The dietitian's aren't the best either with the follow up calls. The one good one has now left and the girl that calls now just tells you to subscribe online for more advice or download an expensive app. She even told me to buy a new fork which was £17 because its essential...so I bought a toddler fork for £1 and its exactly the same.
  • sweetcatGB
    Options
    Aw i havent received a message but i accepted your friend request. Mine was the other way round the night nurses were ace but the day nurses really let me down! Good idea with the fork BTW! Might pinch that idea from you! Yeah i spoke with the dietician and she just pointed me in the direction of the new website/app thing. Wasn't impressed.

Aw sorry you had to go through that! Our body's never work when we need them to! I wasn't offered any food either...in the end i asked for a glass of milk as i felt my blood sugars dropping. Not one of the nurses introduced themselves to me (im a nurse and find this really important) especially as i was really anxious and on my own. BUT the night nurses were fab and got numerous supplies of peppermint tea 😂 xxx
  • SamJoStarrr
    Options
    Aw i havent received a message but i accepted your friend request. Mine was the other way round the night nurses were ace but the day nurses really let me down! Good idea with the fork BTW! Might pinch that idea from you! Yeah i spoke with the dietician and she just pointed me in the direction of the new website/app thing. Wasn't impressed.

Aw sorry you had to go through that! Our body's never work when we need them to! I wasn't offered any food either...in the end i asked for a glass of milk as i felt my blood sugars dropping. Not one of the nurses introduced themselves to me (im a nurse and find this really important) especially as i was really anxious and on my own. BUT the night nurses were fab and got numerous supplies of peppermint tea 😂 xxx

Yeah, I got a little set from Morrisons for £1. It has a spoon and a fork in it and it works exactly the same as the £17 one they were telling me to buy.
    Also, I refused to sign up to the website and download the app. The website has a monthly subscription of £10per month for the first couple of months and then £15 thereafter. Its ran by 2 women who give you the same advice that we should be getting from the hospital group so I'm just going to keep pestering them until I feel I dont need them anymore.
    The app is a couple of quid but still, I dont think its required. Its designed to help with the 20 20 20 rule, but I just set a timer for 20 minutes on my phone and then chew/wait/etc for the 20 seconds intervals.

I went for my fill last night. The nurse is called Sally, shes absolutely lovely. I literally hope I get her every time. I was running late because of traffic so she waited for me and she decided to add 1.5ml to my band taking me to 5.5ml.
    I havent eaten anything yet so not sure of the outcome of this but be prepared to get 'Foamies'.
    After a fill, you're not allowed to leave the hospital until you've drank 1 hot and 1 cold drink, so naturally, you sort of rush it (well I do) and then on the drive home, I always get foamies which is where the drink turns into little bubbles and starts coming back up your throat. Sounds gross but its a really weird sensation.
  • sweetcatGB
    Options
    Ill head out and buy some tomorrow! The site I'm on is free...it's called bandboozled? They gave me a log in etc? You should have been given one too. Which clinic do you go for your fills? My first fill is on the 29th october...excited but so nervous! I'm intrigued by this 'foamies' sensation! How have you got on today? I've just got back from my first 14 hour shift post op...absolutely brutal and feeling tender now! Xx
  • SamJoStarrr
    Options
    My fills are at Dolan Park, its the nearest one, I live in Coventry.
    I wasn't given any log in for Bandboozled, that's weird. How did they give it to you?

Oh I remember going back to work after my op, I have a desk job and I'm tiny so I lean forward a lot and it was agony. Everything I wore would push on my tummy and the day felt 50 hours long. Driving hurt too! I definitely don't envy your 14 hours.

Yesterday was really good, not feeling the restriction after the fill yet but apparently it can take up to 2 weeks for it to settle in the area and obviously they reckon 6-7 fills makes you reach your sweet spot.
  • sweetcatGB
    Options
    Mine are in a clinic in Manchester!
    How strange! Contact your dieticians and they should give you a log in...mine was completely free with no subscription.

Oooo sounds uncomfortable! Whenever i sat down to do my documentation yesterday i found more painful than walking...so can't begin to imagine how you felt all day!

Hopefully you'll get some benefit from it! Can't wait to finally feel full for the first time ever! Xx
  • SamJoStarrr
    Options
    Mine are in a clinic in Manchester!
    How strange! Contact your dieticians and they should give you a log in...mine was completely free with no subscription.

Oooo sounds uncomfortable! Whenever i sat down to do my documentation yesterday i found more painful than walking...so can't begin to imagine how you felt all day!

Hopefully you'll get some benefit from it! Can't wait to finally feel full for the first time ever! Xx

Yeah it's really strange.
    I can't wait until its functioning as it should. I follow a few banded girls on instagram and they always post pics of their means and their portion sizes and they're still a lot smaller than what I need so, I really can't wait.
  • Ladycatfield
    Ladycatfield Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am having a pre-op appointment on Sunday with healthier weight to have my consultation before getting my band fit. I am super scared, but reading through your posts has really encouraged me.
  • SamJoStarrr
    Options
    Hello! I am having a pre-op appointment on Sunday with healthier weight to have my consultation before getting my band fit. I am super scared, but reading through your posts has really encouraged me.

Dont be scared. Its the best decision you ever make :)
  • sweetcatGB
    Options

Hey! Aw you shouldn't be scared! Its the start of a new life for you and a new journey! Please let me know how you get on on sunday. Make a list of questions and hopefully you'll feel more reassured once you get the answers. Feel free to message me at anytime. You'll be OK, its a big step you're taking and fellow bandits will be there to support you xx
  • Ladycatfield
    Ladycatfield Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hello again, finally found this thread again. Feeling much better after seeing the surgeon and just paying for it all. That is my savings gone so I better get my head on and in the right mood for the liver reduction diet which I will start next Tuesday. Will meassage. Thanks.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Hello again, finally found this thread again. Feeling much better after seeing the surgeon and just paying for it all. That is my savings gone so I better get my head on and in the right mood for the liver reduction diet which I will start next Tuesday. Will meassage. Thanks.

Best of success. From the few people that I personally know the key to long term success is to stick with the eating plan designed by the surgeon's staff.