Weight lifting, HIIT and nutrition

Options
Hi everyone,

So I just changed my goals because I figured "why not, I'm in a rut right now and its been the same for the past 2yrs give or take" and Im a little stunned.

Im 6ft, 30.8%BF and currently 260lbs and I float between 267 and 262 (poor diet and routine), but I started seriously exercising again and am currently working with a coach to figure out my 1RM so I know which weight to focus on growing over the months. MFP gave me 2370 to work with for a calorie limit and I only recently realized it gives you a notification for your week and that was eye opening. I was thinking i was close to a weekly deficit of 7000 calories but I am always just barely at 1-2 thousand so when I changed my goals and activity level (desk job/sedentary job, 2lbs per week loss) MFP dropped me to 1760ish and after reading a few posts as well as the responses to one of my own Im trying to mentally prepare myself for the grind of hunger that is to come, but Im still shakey. The goal is 200lbs or less and 20%BF.

All this in mind, my question(s) is/are:
1: will it be possible to still train with moderate weight and progress, however slowly (still want to keep my bench, squat and deadlift strength building).
2: I read of lot of calories in calories out pieces so that's why im trying for such a calorie cut, but technically doesn't my body burn more calories the more lean muscle I have? So if I get stronger while dieting and utlizing park runs that should increase the deficit right? I know I have to eat SOME of it back to not be too low.
3: if weight lifting with moderate to heavy weight given my goals, is unwise then is hiit a good replacement to keep some strength?
4: Finally, i heard theres two types of fat our bodies store and to get rid of one type, particularly the ones around the abs, chest and back, you have to specifically cut carbs down. This true or any research on that?

Replies

• Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    why do you want to drop 2lb per week? I hate being hungry personally and I always end up failing my diets when I get too hungry due to an aggressive deficit. I prefer to take it slow. lose 500g a week (sorry, I do metric). I basically just cut my calories down from maintenance minus about 200 cals. Also, I don't use MFP to tell me my maintenance I use tdeecalculator.net

you can still train hard at a deficit if you're not starving. when you start to get too hungry and weak - again this is my personal experience, then my training was not as good because weak.

I don't eat anything back. I log all my exercise as 1 calorie burnt. At the moment I'm on a little cut and I eat my -200 cals from Sunday to Thursday, then eat at maintenance Friday and Saturday.

Keep lifting heavy.

the carbs thing is *kitten*.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    You should definitely keep lifting while you eat in a deficit, it will help preserve the muscle you have. It's possible to make gains while eating in a deficit but that normally only happens with obese newbies. You may not see as much progress while losing weight. But that's the price you gotta pay for getting rid of the fat.

You may want to try a more conservative deficit and a slower rate of loss. You should also eat back your exercise calories. MFP doesn't give calories for individual strength exercises but you can enter "strength exercises" for a period of time under cardio. If after a few weeks you aren't losing, you can adjust your estimated calorie burn downward.

HIIT is good stuff, I love what it does for my body. However, it's not a substitute for strength training. It's a specialized type of cardio. I agree with the poster above that once or twice a week is about all the HIIT you should probably do, done properly it is very taxing and requires recovery.
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    Good posts above. They've provided everything you need to know ;)

• Iragen
    Iragen Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the informative responses. Regarding the 2lb per week goal; I want to see better results. I keep yoyo-ing and could never seem to break through the 250 floor so I want to get halfway to my goal or at least into the upper 230s then I'll dial it back(my goal on MFP) to the losing 1.5lb per week mission.

After looking at the weekly numbers I knew I must have been eating over on too many days and thats why it's been such a slow crawl to lose weight. My workouts are better so my body fat creeped down, but the weight was stuck.

My logic is that if I was assigned 2370ish for calories, then on some days I must be eating close to 2500 - 3000 so it averages out to a small deficit per week so then if I am assigned 1760ish and keep focusing on eating decently, but baring in mind those "slip up days", then I should land in the 2000-2400 range.

Biggest challenge from what I have seen in other posts is getting to accept that slight hunger craving before bed every night.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    You gotten good advice above. The only thing I would add is don't overcomplicate it. Lift weights, hit your calorie target, be patient. And on the size of the deficit, maybe split the difference. Compliance and accuracy are the keys.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    You gotten good advice above. The only thing I would add is don't overcomplicate it. Lift weights, hit your calorie target, be patient. And on the size of the deficit, maybe split the difference. Compliance and accuracy are the keys.

That^^

But if you're only shooting to lose 30 pounds, 2 pounds a week is too aggressive. You will not be eating enough food to fuel your lifts. Seriously, drop it to 0.5 to 1 lb per week and put on your patient pants.

I could be wrong but I think he's shooting to lose 60. He is at 260 and wants to get to 200. So, he could be a little more aggressive but I would think compliance would be an issue at 1650. It would be for me and I'm around 180, give or take on any given day.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Iragen wrote: »
    Thank you for all the informative responses. Regarding the 2lb per week goal; I want to see better results. I keep yoyo-ing and could never seem to break through the 250 floor so I want to get halfway to my goal or at least into the upper 230s then I'll dial it back(my goal on MFP) to the losing 1.5lb per week mission.

After looking at the weekly numbers I knew I must have been eating over on too many days and thats why it's been such a slow crawl to lose weight. My workouts are better so my body fat creeped down, but the weight was stuck.

My logic is that if I was assigned 2370ish for calories, then on some days I must be eating close to 2500 - 3000 so it averages out to a small deficit per week so then if I am assigned 1760ish and keep focusing on eating decently, but baring in mind those "slip up days", then I should land in the 2000-2400 range.

Biggest challenge from what I have seen in other posts is getting to accept that slight hunger craving before bed every night.

Different methods work for different people, but for me, a small slice of cheese before bed keeps me from feeling hungry. The fat in the cheese triggers satiety. And take this with a grain of salt, but some studies have found that this lowers fasting blood sugar in diabetics by reducing stress hormones associated with fasting. Try moving your macros and timing around and see if one way of eating makes you feel more full than another.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

That^^

But if you're only shooting to lose 30 pounds, 2 pounds a week is too aggressive. You will not be eating enough food to fuel your lifts. Seriously, drop it to 0.5 to 1 lb per week and put on your patient pants.

I could be wrong but I think he's shooting to lose 60. He is at 260 and wants to get to 200. So, he could be a little more aggressive but I would think compliance would be an issue at 1650. It would be for me and I'm around 180, give or take on any given day.

My bad. More coffee needed. ;)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    Options
    MFP gave me 2370 to work with for a calorie limit and I only recently realized it gives you a notification for your week and that was eye opening. I was thinking i was close to a weekly deficit of 7000 calories but I am always just barely at 1-2 thousand
    There is a chance you're misreading a graph and you should manually verify.

If your goal is 2370 Cal a day when you're set to lose 2lbs a week, this means that 2370 is an expected 1000 Cal deficit a day for you. Thus 16590 Cal eaten in a week would represent a 7000 Cal deficit.

How many calories eaten did you log during your week? Add them up manually.

If you ate 22590 to 21590 net Calories for the week then you WERE "barely at 1-2 thousand". But, if your total for the week was 14590 or 15590 as I suspect it was, then you actually LOGGED an 8000 to 9000 Cal deficit.

Just to be clear: logged deficit does not mean achieved deficit; but it is important to keep goal setting issues and implementation issues separate.
    so when I changed my goals and activity level (desk job/sedentary job, 2lbs per week loss) MFP dropped me to 1760ish and after reading a few posts as well as the responses to one of my own Im trying to mentally prepare myself for the grind of hunger that is to come, but Im still shakey. The goal is 200lbs or less and 20%BF.

All this in mind, my question(s) is/are:
    1: will it be possible to still train with moderate weight and progress, however slowly (still want to keep my bench, squat and deadlift strength building).
    2: I read of lot of calories in calories out pieces so that's why im trying for such a calorie cut, but technically doesn't my body burn more calories the more lean muscle I have? So if I get stronger while dieting and utlizing park runs that should increase the deficit right? I know I have to eat SOME of it back to not be too low.
    3: if weight lifting with moderate to heavy weight given my goals, is unwise then is hiit a good replacement to keep some strength?
    4: Finally, i heard theres two types of fat our bodies store and to get rid of one type, particularly the ones around the abs, chest and back, you have to specifically cut carbs down. This true or any research on that?

1. The usual advice is to maintain intensity of lifts but cut down on volume. If you're a beginner to strength training and you're starting at 30% fat levels you can probably make gains even in a moderate deficit. 2lbs a week pushes the word moderate quite a bit.

2. Extra muscle is more than a rounding error but less than a burger or snickers bar. Walking and running in the park is great for you and will help you build cardio-vascular strength. Park runs won't help you get "stronger"--not unless your park has like a bunch of out-door strength training devices that you're using instead of running. You would eat ALL of your activity calories back in order to not exceed your 1000 Calorie a day deficit.

3. Hiit is not a good replacement and is likely to make you more tired and less active thus reducing the amount of total calories you burn for the day. However high (for you) weight training at lower volume + high protein is probably what you should be aiming for. High protein in your case would be somewhere between 145g and 200g per day of protein.

4. No.