Struggling on Keto

Options
Hello, my name is Emma, I am 32 and started on a the keto eating plan 5 weeks ago. Prior to this my diet was not especially healthy. I would normally eat around 1000-1200 calories a day. I am ashamed to say within that calorie limit was 2 - 3 candy bars (most days of the week!) the rest of the calories would be made up of egg white omelettes, oatmeal, tuna, chicken, home made burgers etc........Since i started Keto I have dropped about 10 pounds. I mainly lost this in the first 2 - 3 weeks and since then i have plateaued........ My main issue is that I am SOOOO hungry all of the time!

I am try eating around 1400 calories with between 80- 100g fat. My net carbs has never gone past 25g, but i find i am so hungry and have had a few keto style binges. I read lots of peoples experiences of Keto and even have a close friend who has lost 70 pounds on Keto and they all report after 3 or 4 weeks hunger subsides and they tend to skip meals, but i have not found this...
I dont know what i am doing wrong. I try to eat an avocado a day (normally grilled with a bit of butter and garlic salt) most of my lunches are baked eggs with chicken or ham, spinach, olives and cheese. I normally cook homemade burgers, steak, tuna,chicken for dinner with salad or green beans or broccoli.

Any advice would be most appreciated :smile: :blush:
Thanks

Replies

• EmmaT1986
    EmmaT1986 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    People often have success with weight loss on keto, not because of keto as such but because they find the fat/protein combination to be the most satiating. This makes it much easier to stay within their calorie allotment.

I personally need a good amount of complex carbs/fibre included with my protein for best compliance because this is what satiates me the most and is also the food I enjoy eating.

If you are doing keto purely because of weight loss and have no medical condition to do so maybe this isn't the right way of eating for you. You could experiment with your macro percentages until you find the best ratio for you. You could still be low carb but aim for 50-100 grams a day by including some starch/fibre/whole grains and see if this stops that hunger from creeping in.

Thank-you for you comment! I wanted to try Keto, not only for weight-loss but to also try and kick my sugar addiction. So far it has worked quite well, i have had the occasional 1 square of 85% chocolate but that's it. I have fond myself craving more acidic foods, mainly fruit even though i never really ate that much of it before. Over the past couple of years I have found when i eat things like rice, pasta, quinoa, cous cous i get terrible stomach pains that stay with me for a day or two. I will experiment with my macros and see what happens
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    It's possible that you need more sodium. When people do low carb they usually need at least 3000-5000+ mg of sodium a day or they experience low electrolyte symptoms of fatigue, headaches, stomach upset or bm issues and muscle weakness. Sometimes those symptoms end up feeling like hunger.

You could try making sure you get about 2 teaspoons of salt a day (1 tsp salt = 2300 mg sodium) by drinking broth or some salt with water.

I've done keto for years. I still have hungry days, but my hungry days aren't every day like it was before. While losing I ted to average around 1500 kcal a day, but I still have 3000+ calorie days here and there. Some days might be 2500 kcal and others might be less than 1000 kcal.

You are losing about 2 lbs a week. That's a fair bit. It's also possible that you just need to eat more. Right now you are at close to a 1000 kcal deficit. That's pretty large.

You might do better with other foods too. More fats or more carbs or more protein.... but I would try more sodium first - it's a pretty common thing.
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    For the record on 1400 calories you could eat up to 35g of net carbs and likely stay in ketosis. Maybe that would free you up to eat a wider variety of sating foods?