How to incorporate protein powder

Options
2»

Replies

• thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I usually use my protein powder as a Shaker so I don't really have any ideas for you on that front. However, if you are looking for things to spice up your routine that give you protein, I have one for you.

You know the hidden valley ranch packets? You can mix one of those with two cups of Greek yogurt and it makes an awesome dip for veggies or chicken. I used the full ranch and 2% fage. For 75 grams which I think is around a quarter cup, it's only 64 calories with 4.6g carbs, 1.5g fat, and 7.5g protein. Super tasty!
  • Zablamba
    Zablamba Posts: 5 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    funjen1972 wrote: »
    Zablamba wrote: »
    I have it as a breakfast smoothie: 1 banana, 1 scoop protein powder (chocolate flavored), 1/2 cup blueberries, 1 tbsp chia seeds and 1 cup almond milk. It's absolutely goddamn delicious and I can't imagine anyone disliking it! Lol

Lol It's a consitancy thing for me. Liquid should be like water and solids no thinner than yogurt. I can't do anything in-between - I don't even like the consistency of milk.

Funny, I never thought I was picky until I started analyzing this!

I totally get it, my husband can eat anything taste-wise but when it comes to consistency he's super picky, it's the most odd thing, lol! There are recipes on the internet of protein muffins, pancakes and stuff like that too, maybe you would enjoy incorporating the powder into food instead of a drink!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    funjen1972 wrote: »
    Zablamba wrote: »
    I have it as a breakfast smoothie: 1 banana, 1 scoop protein powder (chocolate flavored), 1/2 cup blueberries, 1 tbsp chia seeds and 1 cup almond milk. It's absolutely goddamn delicious and I can't imagine anyone disliking it! Lol

Lol It's a consitancy thing for me. Liquid should be like water and solids no thinner than yogurt. I can't do anything in-between - I don't even like the consistency of milk.

Funny, I never thought I was picky until I started analyzing this!

Google “protein fluff”. That might yield a consistency you could enjoy.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,415 Member
    Options
    Just protein powder and greek yogurt is not good. But when I add frozen berries, let them thaw, and the fruit juice adds some liquid, then it's good. Lemon meringue protein powder and frozen raspberries is my favorite.

With oatmeal, make sure you mix your PP with liquid before you add it to the oatmeal or it will clump. Same if you are adding it to hot coffee. I mix my PP with almond milk, then use that liquid to mix with the oatmeal.

Protein pancakes, especially with Pumpkin Pie protein powder and pecans?!? Oh, man!

@crazyravr has a great protein cheesecake recipe, too.

Lemon meringue protein powder!!!

I need more info. Lemon meringue pie is one of my favorite things on earth.

Right now I've been doing yogurt, vanilla protein powder and raspberries
  • etvete
    etvete Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The best brands to use in my opinion are Optimum Nutrition, Ascent, or Body Fortress if you are going with Whey in a shake or drinking it.

Another option is to eat it at night before bed to stop you from feeling hungry the next morning. In that case you would go with casein (ON is the best brand in that case). You can make cookies, pudding, hot chocolate, ice cream. Lots of other things just by combining the powder with different amounts of water and either heating it or cooling it.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Just protein powder and greek yogurt is not good. But when I add frozen berries, let them thaw, and the fruit juice adds some liquid, then it's good. Lemon meringue protein powder and frozen raspberries is my favorite.

With oatmeal, make sure you mix your PP with liquid before you add it to the oatmeal or it will clump. Same if you are adding it to hot coffee. I mix my PP with almond milk, then use that liquid to mix with the oatmeal.

Protein pancakes, especially with Pumpkin Pie protein powder and pecans?!? Oh, man!

@crazyravr has a great protein cheesecake recipe, too.

Lemon meringue protein powder!!!

I need more info. Lemon meringue pie is one of my favorite things on earth.

Right now I've been doing yogurt, vanilla protein powder and raspberries

The brand is Trutein, and I buy it on bodybuilding.com. That's who has the Pumpkin Pie flavor, too.
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I like to make protein coffees. The protein powder I currently have I hate, but I can hide the flavor in my coffee to some extent.

I just tried adding protein to my coffee for the first time this morning. It is fantastic! I'm currently using vade protein packs and added a scoop of chocolate to a cup of coffee and it taste just like hot chocolate. Previously, I was adding them to milk and that was good too. But this coffee combination is life changing.