One Sweet Cherry Tomato Entry in Fitnesspal App?

Options

I was trying to scan in 1 dry pint of one sweet cherry tomatoes into Myfitnesspal, and the entry that comes up has several options for the "serving size". One option says 1 container (360 gs ea). The other option says 1 container (149 Gs ea). Which one is the correct serving size for the small container purchased from Walmart? It has about 30 tomatoes in it. Thanks for your help!

Replies

• successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Find a cherry tomato entry. Click on the drop down for it's weight or volume and find an entry that has 1g. Weigh the item and gram weight, let's say 360 grams, assuming you ate all of them, you'd put in as 360 servings. If you only having 5, weigh the 5, and that gram weight will be the number of servings at one gram per serving.
  • bratschesoup
    bratschesoup Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    I was trying to scan in 1 dry pint of one sweet cherry tomatoes into Myfitnesspal, and the entry that comes up has several options for the "serving size". One option says 1 container (360 gs ea). The other option says 1 container (149 Gs ea). Which one is the correct serving size for the small container purchased from Walmart? It has about 30 tomatoes in it. Thanks for your help!

There should really be one and only one option. Weight them.

You’re right. There should only be one option; however, there are eight options. I’ll just weigh them. Thanks.

• Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    6-8 cherry tomatoes counts as one portion in the UK. Don't know if that helps.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    What does the weight on the package say?
  • RonyMack
    RonyMack Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Walmart produce is high in pesticides. Throw them away.
    Just kidding. You don't have to use the cherry tomato option in the database, you know. Search for "fresh tomatoes" and you will find many entries. The ones with the green checkmarks are usually the more trusted ones. And always weigh, people here advise.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    Options
    Tomato, raw, year round average is the MFP USDA entry. Drop down menu for 100g entry.

MFP staff entered raw fruit and veg items usually have that format.

Your best bet, in general, is to look up entries in the USDA database for standard reference and then search for the entry's standard reference number in the database

Only annoying thing is a lot of those entries have wrong vitamin and mineral percentages.

It is % daily value my friends, not the raw mg per 100g number that is supposed to go in that spot when you're entering the numbers! /rant
  • RonyMack
    RonyMack Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    RonyMack wrote: »
    Just kidding. You don't have to use the cherry tomato option in the database, you know. Search for "fresh tomatoes" and you will find many entries. The ones with the green checkmarks are usually the more trusted ones. And always weigh, people here advise.

Cherry tomatoes are typically sweeter than slicing tomatoes so the most accurate way to log them is to pick a USDA entry for cherry tomatoes and weigh them.
    how humongous is the calorie difference? I doubt a person could become morbidly obese by logging tomatoes by their generic name instead of by cherry, or grape, or beef steak, Etc.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Cherry tomatoes are typically sweeter than slicing tomatoes so the most accurate way to log them is to pick a USDA entry for cherry tomatoes and weigh them.

Interestingly, the USDA entry for cherry tomatoes is the main tomatoes, red, ripe, raw, year round average. It just as a dropdown option in cups or number of cherry tomatoes. If you want a higher calorie tomato, pick based on months (tomatoes, red, ripe, raw, June through October average for example). The ones with months have higher calories for some reason although both are USDA entries.

It really doesn't matter much for tomatoes. They're not a high calorie item. Just pick any trusted USDA entry for tomatoes and it should be fine.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    OP: Don't sweat the really small stuff to the point were you get lost in the minutiae. :)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

how humongous is the calorie difference? I doubt a person could become morbidly obese by logging tomatoes by their generic name instead of by cherry, or grape, or beef steak, Etc.

You made the tomatoes very angry. It matters to them.

85zuda05bcma.jpg

That was a rough day. I never ran so hard, nor screamed so loud. Now I just stay home.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Yeah I guess killer tomatoes are high in sugar and will kick you out of ketosis, then you'll have to detox your liver and fast for 2 weeks? :p

That's why they're called Killer Tomatoes.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

The reason there is so many entries is because users can add to the database, and there is no safeguard to ensure accuracy of the items added. There are entries for human soul, if you so choose to go looking for it. I typically with use USDA in the search description. There is usually a reasonable amount of reliability with those entries, although not always. Check your entries.
  • bratschesoup
    bratschesoup Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    lol. Thanks for all of your comments. I actually ended up weighing them. Thanks :)