Treadmill vs Elliptical

Options
Since I started working out consistently 30-days ago, I only use the elliptical for 60-minutes and sometimes I run on the treadmill for about 5-minutes, but the treadmill hurts my ankles and I feel so great using the elliptical.

Which is better for weight loss? I feel great and I can see the change, but I want faster results. Will changing from the elliptical to the treadmill give me faster results?

I get so bored using the treadmill and I am able to do 60 minutes of elliptical with no problem.

I see more people at the gym using the treadmill so I want to make sure I am doing the right thing.

What do you guys think?

Replies

• MissHellsing
    MissHellsing Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the Elliptical trainer and HATE the Treadmill. I rather go to the track and walk vs. getting on the treadmill. IMO I don't see anything wrong with using the Elliptical Trainer. I get way more of a workout doing 30 mins on it vs. the treadmill. I think it depends on the person.
  • shelbygeorge29
    shelbygeorge29 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    What's more important is finding exercise you enjoy and are will be able to stick with.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Which ever you can do for a longer period of time is obviously going to be more effective.

Though it would benefit you to switch it up!
  • FAtGiRLFItGiRL
    Options
    i really like the treadmill more but thats just me. not sure whats more effective but do what you like becus your more likely to stick to it if you like it.
  • LuvORR
    LuvORR Posts: 36
    Options
    You think I would see faster results if I switched it up?
    Which ever you can do for a longer period of time is obviously going to be more effective.

Though it would benefit you to switch it up!
  • hush7hush
    Options
    Yes.

Because when you do one exercise all the time, your body gets used to it, therefore getting more efficient at doing it.
    Hence, lower calorie burns.

If you switch it up, you'll keep your body guessing. [:
  • LuvORR
    Options
    I feel the same way!! I also have more fun on the elliptical :happy:
    I LOVE the Elliptical trainer and HATE the Treadmill. I rather go to the track and walk vs. getting on the treadmill. IMO I don't see anything wrong with using the Elliptical Trainer. I get way more of a workout doing 30 mins on it vs. the treadmill. I think it depends on the person.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    What's more important is finding exercise you enjoy and are will be able to stick with.
    This. It wouldn't matter if an exercise is the BEST in the world to do over another. If you don't do that exercise, then it's not the best.
  • FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    I prefer the arc trainer. ;)
  • LuvORR
    Options
    I have heard this before... I am going to try doing the treadmill as long as I can tomorrow :wink:
    Yes.

Because when you do one exercise all the time, your body gets used to it, therefore getting more efficient at doing it.
    Hence, lower calorie burns.

If you switch it up, you'll keep your body guessing. [:
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    You don't have to switch the machine, just switch the training method. There is a resistance and incline/decline level. Heck you can even do Tabata protocol on it.
  • LuvORR
    Options
    So true!
    This. It wouldn't matter if an exercise is the BEST in the world to do over another. If you don't do that exercise, then it's not the best.
  • amurrah
    amurrah Posts: 6
    Options
    if you can do the elliptical for 60 mins, thats awesome!! i can only do it for about 20 mins.... but what level do you have it on?? training on the just the elliptical is fine, but you need to make it more difficult.... up the level, or add something like ankle weights.
  • LuvORR
    Options
    Never heard of this... let me look it up...

Oh, yes, we have one at my gym. I have never used it
    I prefer the arc trainer. ;)
  • hush7hush
    Options
    ninerbuff is also right in his statement.

you can add more resistance, try interval training, etc.
  • LuvORR
    Options
    I set the resistance at 10... I do the weight loss so it goes up and down after a certain amount of time. I could probably do longer than 60- but I have to sleep for work since I always work out late so I stop. I guess if I set the resistance higher I would be teasing my body more. What resistance you set it as?
    if you can do the elliptical for 60 mins, thats awesome!! i can only do it for about 20 mins.... but what level do you have it on?? training on the just the elliptical is fine, but you need to make it more difficult.... up the level, or add something like ankle weights.
  • LuvORR
    Options
    Oh yes... I set resistance at 10 now... I started of at 1 of course and have been able to increase it. I have been using it for 30 days. Should I be at a higher resistance by now?
    You don't have to switch the machine, just switch the training method. There is a resistance and incline/decline level. Heck you can even do Tabata protocol on it.
  • christina000
    Options
    I think minute for minute, with the same effort put forth, the treadmill would be the best because you are moving your body, rather than using your arms and legs to move a machine. I could be wrong. I have lost weight both ways to be honest. I find I can do 30 minutes of running and feel so much better than an hour on an elliptical.

I also find the treadmill just harder in general. Even harder than that is a run on pavement. You could always try that too, unless you prefer to have your milage, and calories tracked.

Anyways, you cant go wrong either way. Slow and steady wins the race. :)
  • LuvORR
    Options
    Thanks for the comment! I truly wish I could try running out doors. I am just so busy and usually finish my day late so I get scared to run at night.

I guess I could continue the same routine until I stop seeing results. I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing.
    I think minute for minute, with the same effort put forth, the treadmill would be the best because you are moving your body, rather than using your arms and legs to move a machine. I could be wrong. I have lost weight both ways to be honest. I find I can do 30 minutes of running and feel so much better than an hour on an elliptical.

I also find the treadmill just harder in general. Even harder than that is a run on pavement. You could always try that too, unless you prefer to have your milage, and calories tracked.

Anyways, you cant go wrong either way. Slow and steady wins the race. :)
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Oh yes... I set resistance at 10 now... I started of at 1 of course and have been able to increase it. I have been using it for 30 days. Should I be at a higher resistance by now?
    I believe that there's an interval program on it if it's a Precor. Try that at level 10.