Rash on Chest

Options
ashleyallen87
ashleyallen87 Posts: 15 Member
edited September 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello Everyone,
Ive been going to the gym about 5 days a week for about 3 months now and the past several weeks I have a rash on my chest after I do a workout. I notice it even more if Im doing weights. I have lost lost 60lbs purely through diet since 2016 and have started doing cardio and weights to shed the last 30lbs...this is when the rash started.

Has anyone else experienced this? It doesnt hurt, it doesnt spread beyond my chest but it certainly not nice to walk around with! Edited to add that I tried to upload a picture, but it fails every time.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,041 Member
    Options
    I would see a doctor.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Have there been any changes to your routine, both workout and how you wash your workout clothes, in the last three weeks? Have you gotten any new clothes? It could also be a sweat rash, but generally those are itchy or painful. I get a rash on my chest after working out, but it's because I have very fair and sensitive skin, so the act of the collar of my shirt moving around causes a rash. Certain types of materials make it worse, and doing things that require more range of motion do make it worse as well. If you can't narrow it down, a doctor could check it out.
  • ashleyallen87
    Options
    Have there been any changes to your routine, both workout and how you wash your workout clothes, in the last three weeks? Have you gotten any new clothes? It could also be a sweat rash, but generally those are itchy or painful. I get a rash on my chest after working out, but it's because I have very fair and sensitive skin, so the act of the collar of my shirt moving around causes a rash. Certain types of materials make it worse, and doing things that require more range of motion do make it worse as well. If you can't narrow it down, a doctor could check it out.

My routine hasn't really changed, no new clothes or detergent. The reason I asked on here before running to the DR was because I didn't know with lifting weights if there could be some hormonal changes, rashes from sweating or something that people often experience. My mother and I went to the gym together today and I had a personal training session and right after she says "do you know you have a rash on your chest"!? She thinks its maybe a heat rash from working out, but I really have no idea!
  • cmriverside
    Options
    :lol: Always listen to your mama. Maybe it will go away in time.

I dunno, I'm with RelCanonical, if it isn't a new product or a contact abrasion...did you ask your trainer if s/he's ever seen it happen?

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options

My routine hasn't really changed, no new clothes or detergent. The reason I asked on here before running to the DR was because I didn't know with lifting weights if there could be some hormonal changes, rashes from sweating or something that people often experience. My mother and I went to the gym together today and I had a personal training session and right after she says "do you know you have a rash on your chest"!? She thinks its maybe a heat rash from working out, but I really have no idea!

Oh, it's possible that you didn't notice it until she pointed it out, and you've gotten it all along. If it's not painful or itchy and goes away after a short while, I don't think there's anything to worry about. if it's anything like what I get, which is more just redness than a true rash, then it's normal. It's hard to tell without actually seeing it in person, which is why you'll hear people recommending a doctor.
  • ashleyallen87
    Options
    Some people get a rash when they sweat - maybe you're one of them? If you're concerned about it I'd see a doctor but regardless, I'd apply some hydrocortisone cream on it in the meantime.

Ya Im certainly leaning towards to being more of a reaction to sweat or something like that. A coworker of mine who is a very avid gym go-er just googled it and read that some people will actually have an allergic reaction to a type of hormone released during an intense workout, essentially like getting hives. Except mine arent itchy at all. I'll try applying some cream!
  • cmriverside
    edited September 2018
    Options
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    if you have recently gone low carb it could be keto rash...which is temporary. do you use chalk or powder on your hands when you lift? if so, could it be an allergy?
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't itch or hurt, I wouldn't put any cream on it. Wash with soap and water
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I would see a doctor.

Yep....
  • PD0G
    PD0G Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Look up keto rash lots of doctors don't know what it is because it's not bad
  • PD0G
    PD0G Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    karen8787 wrote: »
    if you have recently gone low carb it could be keto rash...which is temporary. do you use chalk or powder on your hands when you lift? if so, could it be an allergy?

Finally someone knows what keto rash is