Putting the scale away and not logging anymore

Options
Just curious how many of you have stopped logging or loosened up on logging meals, and put the scale away? Is anyone just going by looks alone to measure progress? I’ve been cutting/gaining the same 5-8 pounds over the last year and a half and I’m just tired of keeping track. I am following a progressive lifting program (4 plus years at 5x week), good with my physique for the most part- just want to loose the logging and checking without all hell breaking loose!

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I rarely use a scale and only log if I'm try to dial in weight for a meet (under 8 weeks a year) or just tracking minimum macros if Im not dirty bulking.

One can have plenty of sucess without either. If you are tring to get very low body fat, then there is more purpose to logging/weighing.
  • AEC50
    AEC50 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm a very casual lifter (I'm just here for the health benefits and to avoid jelloarms), but I'm considering it. I am a lazy logger but dedicated to my workouts. Following to see if anyone has good advice on this.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    If I'm serious about maintaining my weight or losing, I need to weigh myself almost every day. Logging is helpful, too, but it can get frustrating because the calorie content of food is not always available. But when I do log, I weigh my food.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I attribute my success in losing 46#, dropping my BF from +20% down to -10% as measured by hydro and maintaining my weight loss over the past 2.5 yrs to weighing myself and logging everything I eat daily

Since I have been so successful doing so, I see no reason to stop doing it. .

Only those like the OP who cannot lose,weight consistently and therefore feel that daily weigh-ins and logging is not working for them would think otherwise because they feel the method has failed them but it's not the method but its failed implementation that is at fault.

There is no doubt that diet control by means of logging works if you do it correctly. Most of us on MFP have done just that. It's what MFP is designed to help us do and to suggest ask for an alternativd to logging an MFP forum seems more than odd.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I put it away and stopped logging over two years ago. About once or twice a year I’ll decide I’m looking too fluffy and log for a few weeks to drop a couple of pounds. I don’t think I would have made the muscle gains I have had I continued weighing myself because I would have freaked out at gaining weight.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Only weigh myself on a monthly (or longer basis). I do not log food; I simply estimate kcals/round based on the previous day's activity/TDEE to come up with a ball park estimate goal. Mirrors over scales (esp. around maintenance & trying to improve body composition); measuring tape is pretty handy as well (clothing fit feel being comparable way to assess progress).
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I don’t log everything I eat, and I’ve never used a food scale... I’m losing weight just fine. If I notice my weight not budging I will tighten up on my logging.

Oh and I weigh myself once a week.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    If i don't weigh and log my food I undereat and lose weight. I do get tired of it and sometimes take a break for a week or so but my default position seems to be to eat less than I need to eat, sadly