Apple Cider Vinegar

Options
2»

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    One might think, because of its sour taste, ACV would produce an acidic pH.

Imagine the pH scale as a line from 1-14; 7 being pure water. Everything below 7.0 is acidic and above 7.0 is alkaline. To be their healthiest, one should remain around 7.2 – 7.45. Just like lemon and lime, ACV turns into an alkaline pH as it metabolizes. Why is this important in the first place? Because an alkaline pH protects the body from toxic conditions and illnesses such as heart disease, diabetes, and cancers! A disease cannot thrive in an alkaline environment.

There’s another important benefit to having a more alkaline pH: it improves your mood! When someone is on the acidic scale side, below 6.9, they are usually grumpier; so provide more fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, and herbs at mealtime to create a more pleasant family member.

This is total nonsense and hogwash. Life as we know it (human life at least) exists in the pH range of 7.35 - 7.45. If you get higher than this, you go to the hospital or you die. If you get lower than this, you go to the hospital or you die. Period. Foods do not change the acid/base levels of the body and if they did, it would kill you.

As for the minerals and probiotics, ACV is consumed in such small amounts and claimed benefits from nutrients would be negligible.

Organ, fluid or membrane pH Function of pH

Skin Natural pH is between 4 and 6.5 [17] Barrier protection from microbes
    Urine 4.6 to 8.0 [18] Limit overgrowth of microbes
    Gastric 1.35 to 3.5 Break down protein
    Bile 7.6 to 8.8 Neutralize stomach acid, aid in digestion
    Pancreatic fluid 8.8 Neutralize stomach acid, aid in digestion
    Vaginal fluid <4.7 [13] Limit overgrowth of opportunistic microbes
    Cerebrospinal fluid 7.3 Bathes the exterior of the brain
    Intracellular fluid 6.0–7.2 [19] Due to acid production in cells
    Serum venous 7.35 Tightly regulated
    Serum arterial 7.4 Tightly regulated

(There is more than Google -dig deeper)

I'm not sure where you cut and pasted this from, but adding the link would be appropriate.
  • ToadstoolBetty
    ToadstoolBetty Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    It just helps you poo.
    I don't believe the bacteria lives to get to gut as I've found the cheap stuff without bacteria works too.
    It's because it soluble fibre from the apples.
    I have it in my food and occasionally drink a pint of water with 2tbsp of ACV with a straw.
    It's never curves my hunger.
    I find all the things that are said to curb hunger tend to not do that for me.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    ACV works great as a marinade or salad dressing but does nothing to aid in weight loss.

Really? But I've seen plenty of YT videos. Weight loss stories. I'm worried about the side effects tho

ACV does nothing for weight loss.

Weight loss is dictated by calories. There are no magic foods that can make someone lose or gain weight.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Just used it to curdle some almond milk for a carrot cornbread. Since I plan to eat that cornbread within my calories, I guess the ACV will help with weight-loss if I like the result and can hold myself to the portion I intend to have...
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I really like Green Tea, well Black Tea as well. Been drinking it for years. Guess what I am Obese, guess the magic did not work on me!

Apple Cider Vinegar. Well the acid will eventually ruin your teeth. I have used it as a hair rinse when I ran out of conditioner it does make your hair wonderfully soft.

But to lose weight um no! Just more quack sites, people wanting you to part with your money.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,318 Member
    Options
    what The-Movie C said
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,318 Member
    Options
    Husband had a "bad " stomach for years & I used to have acid reflux regularly till we started ACV, it works great for that