Is Keto healthy for your liver?

Options
Do you know if Keto is healthy for your liver and kidneys?

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Keto can be helpful for treating problems like NAFLD.

Ketosis is fine for liver health... do you have a problem that makes you think keto could be an issue?
  • helene4
    helene4 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    From personal experience, a high fat diet is hard on my liver. I ended up with digestive issues and at the doctors office. Had tests done and my liver was unhappy. Had to go on a low fat diet for a month just to get my digestion bck on track

But that was my reaction to a high fat diet. And everyone's different
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Another concern is that high fat intake can cause pancreatitis. Something to think about. I got very ill on the atkins diet, so I am one for whom Keto diets don't work.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    1houndgal wrote: »
    Ewa101975 wrote: »

Google the words Keto and Liver. You will get many articles on this. Keto can be harmful to your health. I know personally I got very ill doing Atkins years ago.

While many of the principles of a ketogenic diet and Atkins are similar, they are not the same thing.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Another concern is that high fat intake can cause pancreatitis. Something to think about. I got very ill on the atkins diet, so I am one for whom Keto diets don't work.

I have never read that high fat can cause pancreatitis. Are you sure it was not just a coincidence?
  • nvmomketo
    Options

Google the words Keto and Liver. You will get many articles on this. Keto can be harmful to your health. I know personally I got very ill doing Atkins years ago.

While many of the principles of a ketogenic diet and Atkins are similar, they are not the same thing.

That is right. The induction or phase 1 of Atkins is ketogenic but the rest is mostly just lower carb.
  • Ewa101975
    Ewa101975 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    thank you all. Yes I have liver disease so worried about that. May just have to stick to low carb instead of keto.
  • aneedforchange
    aneedforchange Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    The ketogenic diet freaks me out and I don’t have liver or kidney issues but I literally cannot comprehend how it could not harm them long term. I would stick with just a balanced diet honestly!
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    thank you all. Yes I have liver disease so worried about that. May just have to stick to low carb instead of keto.

This is something to ask your doctor about, and maybe see a dietician as well. Nobody here is qualified to say what could happen in your particular situation, and certainly should not be saying that keto treats (or causes) liver disease.
  • JRSINAZ
    JRSINAZ Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    From Google.Yes, if you have liver damage or disease you should eat less protein. But if your liver is healthy, then a high-protein diet will not cause liver damage.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options

TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR! Do not take medical advice from random strangers on the internet, either here or through whatever article you happen to see when googling. You only get one liver, take it seriously.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    JRSINAZ wrote: »
    From Google.Yes, if you have liver damage or disease you should eat less protein. But if your liver is healthy, then a high-protein diet will not cause liver damage.

Keto is not a high protein diet. It only calls for adequate protein for what it's worth.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Icrizz wrote: »
    Keto is an unhealthy diet in general based on basic biology. It starves your brain. So idrk why it matters if it hurts your liver.

Your brain does just fine on keto, and most other ways of eating. If a keto diet starved your brain we have a number of established keto posters who should be zombies by now.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Keto is an unhealthy diet in general based on basic biology. It starves your brain. So idrk why it matters if it hurts your liver.
    I don’t do keto and I’m not generally an advocate for it - but a keto diet can be just as healthy or unhealthy as a vegan diet or any other diet.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options

Just plain wrong