Losing weight slowly, losing motivation QUICKLY

Options
I've been working hard since July (since WAY longer than that actually..) and have had great results (finally!) with my new 8 week program..

-13lbs
-10.5inches

but for the last three week, it's really slowed down, and I'm feeling mildly discouraged.. any ideas? My nutrition is pretty clean, about 80% of the time... :)

84fb953nuw5q.jpg

Replies

• Rocketts81
    Rocketts81 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have never found weight loss to be a steady, linear, constant process. The rate of weight-loss for me seems to vary all the time. Question is: how seriously do you want to lose and get fitter? If you eat healthy and maintain a deficit the trend WILL be downwards. I think perseverance is the key here. I recently stopped weighing myself for about a month because things were a bit slow. When I finally stepped on the scale I was six pounds lighter. Don't lose heart, keep going and you will be happy that you did when you hit your target!! Good luck...
  • spooley
    spooley Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I can relate to the super slow weight loss and difficulty staying motivated. I only seem to be losing a pound a week myself (staying within my net calorie range and adding excercise). I guess we just have to remember the other benefits to our health beyond the scale in order to stay motivated. 😉
  • SylviazSpirit
    SylviazSpirit Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    It might be helpful to move focus on how you feel and what you can do physically vs the scale. So many things can affect that scale number. It will go up and down from one day to another. Do not let it defeat you. Step away. First, take a close look at your nutrition and calories. Weigh and measure for accuracy. I can certainly SEE a difference. Don't stop. The scale not changing for several weeks can be normal, bodies can gain and lose water, waste.. They can lose fat and gain muscle. Hormones can cause shifts for women especially. As Dory would say "Just keep swimming"
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Agree with posters above.

There comes a time with losing large volumes of fat, where you NEED to not be about week to week losses, the scale etc, rather BE ABOUT eating at a deficit, weighing your food (even if you keep meals simple and boring), keeping your commitment to your chosen workout, and LOGGING accuracy.

The approach needs to be from an adult perspective... Get it done, bank days away. Move on with your life. Don't fixate or you will talk yourself out of your commitment to lose. Think about it? The result is you cheating YOU out of attaining a healthier version of you. 2 pounds weekly isn't a hard. Backtracking and starting over... That sucks!
  • RonyMack
    RonyMack Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    jlambert77 wrote: »
    I've been working hard since July (since WAY longer than that actually..) and have had great results (finally!) with my new 8 week program..

-13lbs
    -10.5inches

but for the last three week, it's really slowed down, and I'm feeling mildly discouraged.. any ideas? My nutrition is pretty clean, about 80% of the time... :)
    Well, then you have received 80% of your desired results.
    Still, not bad success.
  • lbryans929
    lbryans929 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    OP- you are doing great. We all need encouragement once in a while. You are a suceess!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    getting smaller slowly is better than getting bigger slowly. You're headed in the right direction.. weight loss isn't automatic ..it comes in spurts and then the body needs time to think, build. But logic dictates that you will get smaller of you move more and eat healthy foods that don't exceed your calorie burn. It will happen.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate to losing motivation when the weight loss slows. I’ve given up so many times when it got harder. But I’m determined that this time will be different.

I just have to remind myself that the weight came on slowly too and it’s not doing to come off overnight. Any loss is still progress and something to be proud of. Just remember that giving up now is only going to make it take even longer! Imagine where you could be 6 months from now if you keep with it. Or imagine 6 months from now at best being right where you are today or even gaining weight back because you didn’t like how slow the progress was. All the slow weeks add up to a lot over time. Giving up doesn’t add up to anything.

Although, if you do want it to go a little faster you could put more focus on your diet if you feel there’s room for improvement.
  • jlambert77
    jlambert77 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    lbryans929 wrote: »
    OP- you are doing great. We all need encouragement once in a while. You are a suceess!

i really appreciate that.
    :)
  • jlambert77
    Options
    I can totally relate to losing motivation when the weight loss slows. I’ve given up so many times when it got harder. But I’m determined that this time will be different.

I just have to remind myself that the weight came on slowly too and it’s not doing to come off overnight. Any loss is still progress and something to be proud of. Just remember that giving up now is only going to make it take even longer! Imagine where you could be 6 months from now if you keep with it. Or imagine 6 months from now at best being right where you are today or even gaining weight back because you didn’t like how slow the progress was. All the slow weeks add up to a lot over time. Giving up doesn’t add up to anything.

Although, if you do want it to go a little faster you could put more focus on your diet if you feel there’s room for improvement.

thank you for adding your perspective, and honesty. i really appreciate it. and you're right.. it certainly is easy to give up.
  • jlambert77
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    Where do you think you’re going in a rush? I’ll assume that once you get to goal weight, you’re going to want to stay there. There is no finish line.

If you are still losing weight on your 80/20 program, why do you want to mess with it?
    Losing weight requires 2 things: a downward trend over time and ability to live with your program. Folks come up with all sorts of ways to lose weight. But many fail because they can’t live with it.

Don’t mess with success.

this actually is so simple, and i really hadn't just pared it down to the bare bones to just stick with it.
    i have gone back to the program i was using (because i liked the lifting, rather than the cardio..) so I'm feeling better already(just because, it's a good program..and i feel strong) :)
  • jlambert77
    Options
    getting smaller slowly is better than getting bigger slowly. You're headed in the right direction.. weight loss isn't automatic ..it comes in spurts and then the body needs time to think, build. But logic dictates that you will get smaller of you move more and eat healthy foods that don't exceed your calorie burn. It will happen.

thank you for replying. :)
  • jlambert77
    Options
    Agree with posters above.

There comes a time with losing large volumes of fat, where you NEED to not be about week to week losses, the scale etc, rather BE ABOUT eating at a deficit, weighing your food (even if you keep meals simple and boring), keeping your commitment to your chosen workout, and LOGGING accuracy.

The approach needs to be from an adult perspective... Get it done, bank days away. Move on with your life. Don't fixate or you will talk yourself out of your commitment to lose. Think about it? The result is you cheating YOU out of attaining a healthier version of you. 2 pounds weekly isn't a hard. Backtracking and starting over... That sucks!

i definitely have worked too hard to go backwards. thank you for replying.
  • jlambert77
    Options
    It's not going to take 8 weeks... it's going to take the rest of your life...

i understand what you're saying, completely. i have switched programs, back to what i had success with (and i don't just mean physical..I mentally felt MUCH better with the lifting, rather than the cardio) :)