Motivation for Exercising

Options
I have this problem in which I feel good and satisfied after working out; however, the thought of not going for exercise keeps on creeping into my head every time before I exercise. I just have to force myself to go work out, and I feel great afterwards, but during the next day, I became demotivated and again have to force myself to exercise. Does anyone had any suggestions or able to share the story how you motivate yourself to exercise?

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    How long since you started working out? it takes time to form the habit of exercise. Also if its something you enjoy you will be more likely to keep doing it.
    I committed to doing 30 days consistently when I first introduced exercise, after that 30 days I felt lost if I didn't do a workout - in other words it became my new norm. And 6 years later I still work out every single week day.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    wxlaw wrote: »
    I have this problem in which I feel good and satisfied after working out; however, the thought of not going for exercise keeps on creeping into my head every time before I exercise. I just have to force myself to go work out, and I feel great afterwards, but during the next day, I became demotivated and again have to force myself to exercise. Does anyone had any suggestions or able to share the story how you motivate yourself to exercise?

eyes on the prize... i need to work out to hit my goals, so i do. and as above, i really enjoy my workouts 98% of the time (occasionally i cant be arsed but usually do it anyway!)

plus most of the time i am training for a race, so skipping my workout just isn't an option.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising for weightloss?
  • rikkejohnsenrij
    rikkejohnsenrij Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    1: I change to training pants as soon as I get home.
    2: I tell my husband if/when I plan to excercise a day before. He's nice/cruel enough to nag me until I go, if I start making excuses
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Motivation comes after action. Plan your exercise according to your goals. As others have suggested, include activities you find enjoyable. But in my experience relying on motivation can be really frustrating.
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    ghudson92 wrote: »
    Motivation is fleeting, often hitting us with inspiration at 3am when we just don't need it... Unfortunately you're just going to have to force your *kitten* out the door lol

I enjoy exercise- once I get going, but yes, there are definitely times I have to force my *kitten* out the door!!!
    My motivation comes and goes... so I do my best to remember my “why” and just get it done!

I’ve loved being able to push my body more as I get fitter, too. It makes me feel great about myself after a workout!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Find something you enjoy, and it becomes so much easier. For example, I'm paying for a hotel because I wanted to hike and ride a bike in a beautiful place. If you can't find something you love, then think about how exercise helps you meet your goals. I don't love lifting weights, but I look better since I started, and that's all the motivation I need.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You do it enough that you’re convinced how much better it makes you feel.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Find exercise you enjoy. What are you currently doing? What do you like doing?
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    wxlaw wrote: »

I have convinced myself that exercise should be part of everyone's daily routine. We eat every day. We sleep every day. We should exercise every day. Even if it's just a recovery workout between more intense workouts.

You have to convince yourself that it is just something you have to do every day. Eventually it will become such a habit that you will not be able to not do it.

There are many days that I don't want to do it, but I know I have to, so I just do it. In the past year I can count on one hand the number of days that I did not do at least one activity (even if it's just a 1.5 mile fast walk).

And I'm 61 years old... :)

Also, I sent you a friend request for motivation.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    You do it enough that you’re convinced how much better it makes you feel.

This. I don't hate being there, but it is definitely a means to end. Motivation has a short shelf life; you need disciple and dedication. For me, that is driven by wanting something that working out gives me - the ability to continue enjoying things as I age (I am about to turn 60). As it starts to become part of the routine, I do find myself looking forward to it.
  • Cateyj
    Cateyj Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It's not always easy but it's as much as a habit now as getting dressed or cleaning my teeth. It just feels like something important that I should do for me. I plan in advance around mine and my husband's shifts and make no apologies about carving out an hour or so 4-5 times a week to run/circuit train. I joined a running group and the friends I have made there give me more reason to keep showing up. X