New healthy diet = breakouts??

Options
So I've really turned my diet around in the last month, added lots more fruits and vegetables, cut out the fast food and pizza, even cut out [most[ of the alcohol and suddenly at 29 I'm getting new zits all the time! WTH is up with that? I have never had acne problems (besides at like 15 of course) and it seems odd to me that I would suddenly get a bunch. And no, it's not TOM and I'm not really all that stressed either.

Has this happened to anyone else? Could it just be my body getting used to the new diet? :cry:

Replies

• unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    This totally happened to me. I suspect it does have something to do with your body adjusting. I'm also eating a lot more healthy fats, which probably doesn't help. It's evened out a bit now, though. I still have problems every once in awhile, but it's a lot better than before.
  • zukekitty
    zukekitty Posts: 185
    Options
    I have been noticing the same thing. I found one on my nose today! I'm 49 and usually get maybe 1 a year.

edit: I just remembered I changed to a new moisturizer not too long ago. It could be that too.
  • alexisrebecca
    alexisrebecca Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It's happening to me right now, i'm 30. I have been a fad dieter for about 10 years, weight fluctuating from 10st-17st, currently 12.5 stone.
    My last fad before mfp was atkins which messed me up. Since eating fruit and veggies and cutting out curry, pizzas and chinese food I have got loads of spots especially around my jaw and chin :(
    My beautician said that it is the body adjusting and getting rid f toxins through the skin, she said it should calm down in around 3 months time.

Hope this helps x
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I find that changes in diet, climate (when I go on holiday) and my monthly cycle can all cause this.
    Hang in there with your healthy eating and exercise, keep drinking plenty of water and it should even out.
  • eileenstevens
    Options
    Me too. I thought maybe it was all the extra sweat from exercising even though I shower right after- hate being sweaty! Never occured to me it was the diet change.
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    It's happening to me right now, i'm 30. I have been a fad dieter for about 10 years, weight fluctuating from 10st-17st, currently 12.5 stone.
    My last fad before mfp was atkins which messed me up. Since eating fruit and veggies and cutting out curry, pizzas and chinese food I have got loads of spots especially around my jaw and chin :(
    My beautician said that it is the body adjusting and getting rid f toxins through the skin, she said it should calm down in around 3 months time.

Hope this helps x

When it comes to my skin I'll trust your beautician :flowerforyou: Man I hope it doesn't last 3 whole months though...LOL
  • Rae9911
    Rae9911 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    It happened to me too but just keep eating healthy and drink lots of water and it soon goes, after my second month mine all dissapeared.
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    are you exercising? i usually have clear skin and once i started exercising everyday i started getting bad breakouts (i have never had a breakout, just random zits)... i made a forum post about it and people said it could be my sweat and makeup affecting my skin.. never thought about it but once i started to wash my face right after and my body adjusted some more, the breakouts went away! i very very rarely get a zit now :]

i also recommend neutrogena grapefruit face wash.. feels awesome, smells good, clear skin! :) and water is amazing :)