Diet coke

Options
Hi everyone

Ivr drank diet coke every day for the last 3 or 4 years a lot of it ( neary 1.5 litres a day)

Decided to give it up last week but ever since ive been so tired and have had the most splitting headach too

Is this withdrawel from the caffeine or aspartamane? Or both?

I decided to give up for health reasons and if these are withdrawel symptoms then it does go go show how bad it is for you

Anyone been through similar?

Replies

• abi111
    abi111 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    caffeine withdrawal. i had the same. i gave up caffine cold turkey about 4 weeks ago, i used to drink 4L pepsi max a day for about 10+ years, feel fab now. My headache was really bad for about 5 days then got better and was fine after about 9 or 10 days.

I personally cant wean down, if I have a bit, I have to have loads, so cold turkey is the way for me. I would imagine you are nearly through the withdrawal so I wouldn't have any coke if I were in your position.

Hope you feel better soon.
  • jenniferozzy
    jenniferozzy Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    abi111 wrote: »
    caffeine withdrawal. i had the same. i gave up caffine cold turkey about 4 weeks ago, i used to drink 4L pepsi max a day for about 10+ years, feel fab now. My headache was really bad for about 5 days then got better and was fine after about 9 or 10 days.

I personally cant wean down, if I have a bit, I have to have loads, so cold turkey is the way for me. I would imagine you are nearly through the withdrawal so I wouldn't have any coke if I were in your position.

Hope you feel better soon.

i feel awful, not as tired today but probly because ive slept 9 hours haha, will have a cup of tea to see if that takes the edge of my headache , was yours like a throbbing headache?
  • LeGypsyRov
    LeGypsyRov Posts: 36 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Caffeine can cause headaches from withdrawal. They will pass in time. I don't do aspartame due to allergies. Isn't there a Coke with stevia or something more natural you can switch to? The only "soda" I drink is sparkling water.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options
    If I was drinking 2 L of diet coke a day I would try to cut down too - because caffeine and cost.

(I do drink a can of diet coke now and then and I do drink several weak coffees per day - but that amount would bother me too)

Nothing to do with aspartame.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Diet coke is acidic and at the very least bad for your teeth. Whether it's bad for your health in other ways is debatable. If you want to stop drinking soda then that is a great lifestyle change. However, caffeine is not something you should just quit cold turkey. Replace the coke with tea or black coffee. Both are associated with health benefits (unlike diet coke).
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    ahamm002 wrote: »
    Diet coke is acidic and at the very least bad for your teeth. Whether it's bad for your health in other ways is debatable. If you want to stop drinking soda then that is a great lifestyle change. However, caffeine is not something you should just quit cold turkey. Replace the coke with tea or black coffee. Both are associated with health benefits (unlike diet coke).

The only health risk (not related to the calories) known to have a correlation to soda drinking is that the phosphoric acid in it, especially in cola (regular or diet), appears to leech calcium from the bones leaving cola drinkers with less dense bones and earlier osteoporosis.

Again, it is a correlation, not causation but it is strong enough that a lot of further studies are being done. Moderation in all things.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    ahamm002 wrote: »

So are citrus fruits, berries & cherries, tomatoes, wine, and vinegar (as well as coffee and some teas) just to name a few. That's why good oral hygiene is so important :smiley: Brush at least twice a day, floss, and swish with water or a rinse after eating or drinking any of the many acidic foods and drinks you probably consume.

OP, regardless of whatever eating rules you have set up for yourself, your headaches are most likely from caffeine withdrawal.

If you are also cutting calories, it's possible you are eating too little, as a steep deficit can also cause headaches for some people. Feel better!